8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is your earliest Super 8 print?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your earliest Super 8 print?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2008 10:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it can be hard to actually come up with a topic that I haven't mentioned before ...

But I think I've com e up with one.

What is the earliest Super 8 film that you have in your collection?

What I mean, is, Super 8 began in 1963 (or was it 64?), so what Super 8 prinmts do you have from that date onward?

This would include shorts, silents and such.

I'm betting that many of your selections will be early Blackhawks.

My selection is, by gosh, an optical sound print!

It's the 1967 Lee marvin feature, "Point Blank", directed by John Boorman. This is an early optical sound print from that very year and though the color has faded just a little, it STILL looks incredibly good, and it was among the first year releases in optical sound, (I could be off, but I have never heard of any being released in optical sound from before 1967).

What's your earliest Super 8 print?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 07:00 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Castle 0ne reeler 'Challenge Of The Alps' in 1972. Still Have it.
Purchases before that were on Standard (regular) 8mm
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom & Jerry in Johann Mouse 1x200ft sound was the 1st film I ever brought in super8 from an auction along with my 1st super 8 sound projector a Hanimex.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest prints are silent -- a Blackhawk L&H "Two Tars" and a Hanna-Barbera Dynamo Doc cartoon both come from 1969. The former is a used acquisition in the last few years, but the cartoon was purchased new around 1974 or so ... it sat around for awhile!

My oldest sound film is a Disney extract printed on '73 stock. The only optical sound print in my collection has no edge markings.

Of course there are many prints from Agfa, 3M, etc, with no date clues.

What I'd like to know is: what's the oldest movie print of ANY kind that you have?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 06, 2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my oldest super-8 print is the Blackhawk one of Charlie Chaplin's "Gold Rush" with a lovely piano score by William Perry... that said, my parents' home movies come pretty darn close to being that old, some of them show my older brother as a baby and he was born in 1970 [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 06, 2008 06:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton...Laurel and Hardy 200 footer "No Flys On Us" bought back in the mid 70s still have it.

Graham. [Smile]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 01:05 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was the 200' silent edition of "Doom Of Dracula" and funny when I got it - I thought it was standard 8 I owned a Keystone K-104 at the time). The box didn't have the little yellow SUPER sticker on the bottom right corner. I remember it was when I was in the car with my mother and examining the box that I saw the notation of super 8 on the bottom of the spine in a white box. This resulted in me acquiring a GAF Dual unit about 2 months later purchased by redeeming books of S&H Green Stamps at an S&H catalog center. Woo-Hoo!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 02:35 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Castle - SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and DIN AT DINNER ( a L&H 200ft silent with no recogniseable distributor). Mid 70's.

I still have both of these even though I no longer have any doings with 8mm.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. As I was just a little kid, I didn't know who Abbott and Costillo were. I knew who Frankenstein was though. That is why I bought it.

My parents had a regular 8mm projector and it was at that time getting hard to find standard eight films in the stores. Super 8 was quickly replacing standard 8mm.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 10:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite interesting.

I was at first thinking that our fellow forum members would have some Super 8 film prints that run back to the very beginnings of Super 8.

Is this because , as a general rule , film companies didn't release any Super 8 for home use until the early 1970's even though it was already being used industriously?

So, in a matter of speaking, though I obviously didn't aquire my print of "Point Blank" IN 1967, it was manufactured in 1967.

I do wonder when Blackhawk was releasing it's first Super 8 prints?

I do have a number of earlier Blackhawk Super 8 prints, and in these cases, (I'm sure that others on the forum have prints like these as well), the "black boundaries" around the actual film frame, far extend into the sprocket area. I notice later prints are much like the other studio's, in that the sprocket area are clear without any "overflow", but those earlier Blackhawk's do have that tendecy!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC