8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » new to forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new to forum
Adam Wilkins
Junior

- posted June 07, 2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Adam Wilkins   Email Adam Wilkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi:)

My recent registration/application at 8mm Forum has just been approved. I am now an authorised member of the community!

2008 has brought me a new interest in super 8 film. I have purchased a camera (canon 1014xl-s), projector (elmo st-800 m/o) and i am also waiting on a Wurker splicer (need to order some tabs..)

I plan to film, edit and project the original way..but i am not excluding telecine.. i need a new job for this expensive hobby!

i have also purchased a Single 8 camera (Fujica Z800) and am looking forward to using the rewind function for dreamy double exposures.

I have found this forum to have the best information for editing, cleaning, maintenance etc. of course there is a great deal of info on print films, but this is not the path i am taking..the only films i own are two digest? versions of ALIEN and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. both with vinegar syndrome. i bought them to test out the sound of my projector..

im sure i will enjoy my stay here.

cheers
Adam

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 10:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to have ya, though I am quite baffled to hear that these two prints of yours have vinegar syndrome, as they are not known for being so.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 07, 2008 10:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a polyester based print that had a distinct vinegar odor, and after I had it for a week and noticed this I went into a minor panic about it (it was something I'd been looking for a couple of years by then...)

One day I put it to the test and tried to cement splice a snip off one tail: wouldn't take, therefore non-acetate. (I'm pretty handy with a cement splicer; they always take when they are acetate.)

No acetate=no acetic acid=no VS.

Nearly as I can figure it's some funky cleaner that was applied along the way. 4 years down the road the print is still fine.

Welcome Adam! A lot of us here are filmmakers and collectors too. The problem with being both is when I show one of mine next to a Hollywood release than cost millions and was made by professionals it's kind of hard to stack up!

What does make them great is they tell your stories in your way. A thousand filmmakers around the world are willing to make a movie about WW2 or rehash some old TV series, but only I can (or will) make a film about my son growing up.

I find expense-wise as long as I don't go overboard it's pretty minor money compared to all the other expenses that come naturally. It's great therapy as well...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 01:14 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Forum, Adam.

You don't have to be mad to be a member, - but it helps. [Big Grin]

Have fun and enjoy. We can all learn from one another, and all contributions are welcome, - we look forward to your posts.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Adam Wilkins
Junior

- posted June 08, 2008 01:56 AM      Profile for Adam Wilkins   Email Adam Wilkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you all for the warm welcome.

perhaps my idea of 'vinegar syndrome' is wrong..? the two films i own have a RED colour. i just smelt them and it was quite sweet rather than vinegary...perhaps i am mad haha [Wink]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 03:43 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome on board Adam. I echo David sentiments above, but I am not mad - now, as for the rest of the world - that's a different question? [Confused]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 05:16 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone got the real info on 'vinegar syndrome'? It's something that has been talked about a lot since I got back into the hobby a year or so ago. Is it directly related to prints going pink?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steven - this link may be worth a look.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001111#000000

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adam
Im over the "ditch" in NZ, here are alot of good guys on the forum and it is a good place to get help of anything cine
and you have GOT TO BE MAD TO BE IN THE MOVIE BUSINESS!
[Big Grin] Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC