8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex Super 8 18-5 Help Needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex Super 8 18-5 Help Needed
Kevin Chartrand
Junior

- posted June 09, 2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Chartrand   Email Kevin Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father has a Bolex Super 8 that hasn't been touched in over 30 years. I took the projecter and a couple cases of old family movies that I want to view and then eventually do something with (transfer to DVD, etc.).

I set up the machine, and I am having a problem with the threading. The bulb works, everything else seems to work, but when I turn the switch to M (foward motion, lamp off), the film doesn't thread. I have the instructions and tried the auto threading as well, when I pressed the "upper loop former switch", the film isn't feeding at all. I've manually fed it to the rear spool and turned it on and nothing. I've noticed that if I turn it on with the bulb, it will start to burn the film so I know enough not to try that again.

I wonder if I'm doing something basic incorrectly, or if I need to bring this someplace for repairs, or if it's a minor repair, maybe I can handle it myself.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,
Just a thought but two things...1)does the machines rear take up spin round and 2)if it doesn't then maybe a rubber belt has perished.I'm not familiar with these machines but for the amount of time it's been out of use it maybe the cause.Have a look at the back of the machine and see if it unscrews to check the belts,and if it has take up arm belts these could be the reason also,hope this helps Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Chartrand
Junior

- posted June 09, 2008 02:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Chartrand   Email Kevin Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

That was it, I pulled off the back cover and some of the rubber band material had already fallen down into the bottom of the cover. There were a couple strands left on the track as well.

Next question for anyone familiar with this unit is where do I get the replacement parts and is it pretty easy to do myself.

Based on bolexcollector.com, and based on the serial number, this unit is a 60hz 18-5 Super made in 1966.

Thanks,
Kevin

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 09, 2008 03:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, perishing of the original rubber belts on the Bolex 18-5 is a very common occurrence. Fortunately the solution is really simple. You need to get some black Butyl B612-70 or Ethylene-Propylene rubber o-rings from a distributor of Parker O-RINGS here in the USA. The size you need has a wall thickness of about 0.062 ins and an outside diameter of about 1.900 ins. You will need one ring for each of the three drive pulleys (total of 3 belts). I replaced mine 20 years ago and they are still as good as new. Butyl B612 is a superb rubber material, used extensively in aerospace applications, and they will probably last forever on your Bolex. Try ACE HARDWARE stores- they may have something close. They are easy to install: First load up all thre o-rings onto the big pulley. Then, starting at the right most big pulley, stretch each o-ring into the corresponding small pulley groove on the motor shaft. A little bit fiddly, but easy to do.

-

While you have the back cover off, slap a little grease on the brass worm gear and the other plastic gears, and your projector will run like the Swiss watch that it is for another 50 years. 18-5's are one of the best 8mm projectors ever made. They are very kind to film and almost silent in operation. One of their big virtues is the rear sprung pressure pad in the gate, which results in razor sharp projection across the full picture area.

[ June 09, 2008, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Chartrand
Junior

- posted June 10, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Chartrand   Email Kevin Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info and for posting the picture, it definitely helps me understand how/where those o rings will go.

I'll post an update once I track down those replacement rubber o rings.

Thanks,
Kevin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC