8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Has anyone got any of these....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone got any of these....
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 02:37 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading through an old Ken films flyer last night and I noticed three titles that were supposedly released as 200' or 400' B/W Sound editions by them, but I've never come accross any of them, and I was wondering if any of the Forum members have them, the three titles are (200ft) "F8 The Day The Earth Stood Still" , (200ft) "F9 Curse Of The Fly" , & "F5 The Longest Day" (400ft), I've also given Ken's F number as well, it'll be interesting to see if anyone has any of these releases. I'm sure I've seen the Michael Rennie film as a silent edition, but not in sound. It may be I've just never come accross them, but as I've had thousands of films over the years through my hands, I do doubt it a bit, any way, what do you think. I think the flyer I've got must be around 1976, as there is no advert for "Star Wars" yet.

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 04:16 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I do recall having "The Longest Day" 400ft-Sound version, many years ago. If memory serves me well, the German dialogue scenes didn't have the "subtitles" put onto the print.Here was one on E-Bay.com

ht tp://cgi.ebay.com/THE-LONGEST-DAY-ROBERT-MITCHUM-B-W-SUPER-8-FILM_W0QQitemZ140237033394QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35064QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

I've seen the other titles on leaflets, and E-Bay but only as silent versions.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 04:47 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,

It's funny, but all my years dealing and buying films I've never come accross "The Longest Day", still it proves it was made available, but the other two, I've never seen sound editions.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 04:56 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I had my copy during the "halcyon days" (late 1970's). The editing for some raeson tended to "favor" the German scenes, so without prior knowledge of the dialogue from the film (or being able to speak German)you were a bit "non-plussed". The main action set piece was not the beach landing, but the attack on Ouistramm docks, by the Free French Army.
It's not like you to have missed this one [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 05:16 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Barry,

I used to have a Sound print of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD still,the cutdown was very brief but the print was above average for the time it was released,I remember picking it up cheap from the Mountain shop in Shaftsbury avenue.

Cheers Mark W

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 06:18 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have The Day The Earth Stood Still in 200ft sound. It is one of Ken's best and no colour fade either as it is B & W! (as per the original)

I can't remember where I got it, but I would have had it over 20 years.

David

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that interests me with you 8mm collectors. Why do you collect 200ft and 400ft versions of movies, rather than the feature length versions? Why would you want a digest version which is missing most of the movie?

Is it because features are hard to get? Too expensive? What??

I'm not trying to be funny here - I am genuinely interested in this phenomenon which doesn't appear to be the case in 16mm collecting.

Enlighten me.

-Mike

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I really think its down to collectability these days,I used to buy only features when I was into 8mm last time around,this time I tend to buy more 200ft/400fts as they can usually be picked up for peanuts on EBay.

Cheers Mark W

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 07:49 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input, Mark. Interesting.

-Mike

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 11, 2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

I actually have two sound prints of Ken's "The Day The Earth Stood Still". "The Longest Day" pops up on eBay every so often, but "Curse of the Fly" hardly ever shows up.
I have to disagree with David, as I feel Ken did a poor job on their edit of the Robert Wise film.

There's a scan of the sound edition here.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 08:24 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
It's a combination of reasons, and you've touched on them in your post.
Good feature films on 8mm were almost unheard of at the beginning of the boom years. Remember this was before VHS/Beta became available. The likes of Columbia, Fox, Universal etc released 16-18 minute versions of well-known titles and when well edited were a thrill to own.
Most of us remember key scenes from films and that's what we got and they were very repeatable, a major plus. They weren't cheap but there again we didn't have anything to compare the cost.
Major feature length films did eventually become available, as print quality rose, so did the price. They became an investment for most of us. With the advent of DVD and crucially, good quality digital projectors at a more affordable price, features on 8mm are not economically viable to the majority of collectors so the cut-downs attract interest once more.
Of course, members of this forum are a different breed to the masss market collectors and many are willing and able to buy 8mm features.
This is just my opinion having been a collector for almost 40 years, others will have a different point of view.
As for me, well Mike you know I still give 8mm presentations to various groups with shows lasting about 1 hour. So cut-downs are very useful, witness my search at the BFCC.
As you say 16mm is a different story.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 09:19 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have those you mentioned. Managed to locate extremely-mint boxes - Still looking for a few of the 400' KEN digests in S8Sound - Shorty

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to what Mal has already said so well, I think the major attraction of digests is the ability to be able to see the best scenes of a movie in about 20 minutes. This particularly applies to musical films, where in most cases the story has been almost entirely left out, leaving just the musical numbers on the digest. So digests of musicals work very well and are very repeatable indeed. Most of the great MGM and FOX musicals were available in 400ft and 800ft digest versions. Less succesfull are digests of drama films, where it is almost impossible to get the full story and impact of the film condensed down to 20 minutes. One utter failure in this regard was MGM's 18 minute digest of 'Dr. Zhivago'- originally almost a four hour film, this was a completely unsatisfying viewing experience. A standout success was Universals 2 reel 40 minute condensation of 'The Sting' which seemed to retain all the impact of the feature film, and there are many other great digests of drama's such as Columbia's excellent 'Requiem for a Heavyweight'. The best ones are where the editors allow the digest to quickly build up to one great key scene which is showed in entirety. Universals 400ft 'Psycho' is another good digest that comes to mind.
So, digests are definately a mixed bag, but as Mal points out, they brought great classic films into the home, long before video appeared on the scene, and many of them are still great to watch. Musical digests can be given a new lease of life by re-dubbing the sound tracks in stereo.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking for myself, Super (or any other film projection) is not just the watching of the films, but everything that goes into it, putting up the projector, hearing the projector and listening to it like a fine tuned car for ay little off sounds

... and being mesmerized by that image on the screen. I just won a print of the feature "A Star is Born" from Joe Taffis, also a forum member, and I can hardly wait until premiere night.
It's honestly a feeling that i don't get when I check out a DVD from the redbox. That is just "available, this is a rare treat!

As for digests, I find that I play my 400ft scope STAR WARS far more than the feature because, quite frankly, it has most of what I want to see if I don't have a lot of time to spool up the whole feature. Digets are also pretty novel and cool for people who are used to seeing the whole features as well, rom what i have "scene".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mal, Paul and Osi for your comments. They've answered my long unasked question.

Mal, when we spoke at BFCC, you mentioned that many features had to be edited down for copyright reasons. We were referring to Perrys print of SCARS OF DRACULA at the time in particular. Can you or any others elaborate on this?

-Mike

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 02:46 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
When 8mm companies had contracts to release 'features' the copyright owners would not allow the prints to be full-length. Typically there had to be about 20% cut out for home use. Most 8mm features at the time were 8 reels or 72 minutes. With careful editing that wasn't a problem.
For example Walton's Witchfinder General flows very smoothly and the viewer isn't aware of major cutting.
That wasn't always the case and I'm sure long-standing collectors can remember some films had major continuity flaws.
In later years uncut features were finally made available.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 11:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a B/W copy of the "Longest Day" somewhere, if I remember right it was not very good, regarding digests one thing I did like about them was if you were putting on a film show you could join them onto 1200ft reels, another thing was not everybody wants to sit through a full feature, if the digests are done right you can have an interesting and varied film evening "something for everyone". The thing was in those days features were not always available and if they were the cost was out of this world, out here a 400ft was about $60-80 dollars later 2/400ft versions such as Universal was about $135, and later the 3/400ft MGM and Marketing films were about $245 and that was back in the 70s-early 80s and thats a lot of money. There was a saying back then "its better to have a slice of the cake than none at all" [Smile] , and that pretty much summed up Super8 collecting.

The best value were as Paul mentiond were the musicals and for myself the Disney films in both 200ft and 400ft reels, the one thing Disney had and that was great "repeatability" and when you considered the costs involved that was an important factor.

Graham. [Smile]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2008 02:52 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it seems "Curse of the Fly" is the real rarity out of the three films I mentioned, although the other two don't crop up very often, it seems. It is curious, how even today, the 200' & 400' digests are still very popular (especially genres like Horror & Sci-Fi), I think that it's a combination of the short running time and the hunt to find that elusive title, and lets face it, most 200' and 400' titles are not going to break anyones bank these days. I also think that some collectors who have moved over to some kind of digital medium, still keep a projector and a few films, just to keep there hand in, so to say, and these are the people who buy a lot of these small reels. Some are actually coming back into the hobby in a more serious way, and starting to buy some of the titles they originally sold, I do believe it's more to do with the atmosphere you have to create yourself, and not just slipping in endless discs into a DVD player.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 12, 2008 02:57 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps.

I, like everybody else, am on a fairly tight "film budget" - but, I could never envisage spending any money at all on a 400ft version of a title that is available in feature length.

It would be like owning a small 2" x 2" piece of a Van Gogh painting.

But, I do appreciate the points made.

-Mike

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2008 05:00 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, I love my Earth Stood Still 200 footer. I do take into account the 8 minute length, but every time I watch it the scenes take me straight back to childhood where my dad sat me down in front of our TV and said " you'll enjoy this, I saw it as kid and loved it".

I do of course know the full film well and am a fan of Robert Wise, but most 200 footers from features are just a few scenes or a song or two, I think they at least tried with The Day The Earth Stood still. I would agree however that it probably was not Robert Wise himself who edited this extract!

.......and Michael, I have just always thought of Super 8 as a shorts medium and it mostly was until Derann started with their high quality features.

In fact most of my film collection is shorts and cartoons regardless of what format 8, S8, 16, 35. The box art is important too.

As I have been in the cinema business since I was a teenager, I have been able to watch films free as often as I have liked, so owning the feature at home in any format (even DVD) does not really have appeal to me. I love the cinema experience and that is something very hard to achieve at home.

I known many of you have nice home theatres, but I am talking about 15,000 watts of 8 channel sound and 25 meter wide screens. My film collection is more like what was screened in newsreel theatres; shorts, cartoons and tavelogues. These do not require the large cinema environment like a modern feature.

Even the few features I do have on 16mm, I'd prefer to have on 35 or 70 in their correct aspect ratio and sound format....and see them in a cinema.

David

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2008 10:59 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 400' LONGEST DAY and the 200' CURSE OF THE FLY digests. I've only watched the LONGEST DAY digest once a couple of years ago and, as a result, don't remember too much about it. The CURSE OF THE FLY 200 footer is an entertaining little digest and actually better than the full-length feature in my view!

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2008 04:39 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even the silent version of Curse of the fly is hard to find, if you see that film in any form you should get it. I still want Damien Omen II in the 200' sound version, saw it in the photo secttion of a department store when I was 12 and never saw it again.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 15, 2008 07:07 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has made me wish that I'd kept my 'Curse of the Fly' but I sold it because I didn't like the editing. I got it brand new from Portland Films, must have been around 1984 when they got hold of quite a lot of Ken 200' versions, but I recall 'Curse' only appeared briefly. One interesting point was that the one I had - unlike every other Ken 200' I've owned - came in a hard plastic case, the type that swings open, as used by Techno. Does that apply to the ones seen or owned by others here?

I also bought 'Day the Earth Stood Still' from Portland around the same time and kept it. I'm pleased I did, in view of the above-average print, as already mentioned, and the nice box artwork. I'd say that the print was better overall than the full length feature that CHC produced about 10 prints of some years ago.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2008 08:45 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got "The Curse of the Fly". It is a German release of the Ken Films print with English sound and titles by Inter Pathe Films. It is housed in the hard plastic "Techno Films" type case as described by Adrian.

-

It's a very good print but the soundtrack is a little over recorded. There is a leaflet inside advertising all the other Ken Film releases from Inter Pathe films but they are all with German Sound.
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC