8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Have you ever used Cinelarger 8mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you ever used Cinelarger 8mm?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 05:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have ever used this Cinelarger 8mm?

-

The item is being offered
here

How do you see the result? Any possibility to post/scan the result please?. I am quite curios.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They print a frame on 620 film.I think the super 8mm version uses 120 film -which I understand is obsolete.I used to do my own developing and fixing Win. The results were not really worth the effort! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Trevor

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 06:28 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
120 film is still available from Fuji and Kodak.
620 film has been obsolete for years.
The only difference between the two is the spool that the film is wound onto.
620 spools had small lugs on each end, and 120 spools have slots.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a CINELARGER here. I used it several times in the 1970s with really good results. You snap in the frames of super 8 film you want to photograph (without cutting the film), and then expose it to a really bright lamp for a few seconds, then have the film roll processed. I do believe it was 120 film as Trev said. I bought the whole deal, lamp and all, from Superior Bulk Film Co. Those were the days! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall seeing a special lens for a 35mm SLR that had a slot for Super-8 at the front. You just aligned the film, made sure there was enough light, and snapped a "screen shot".

Does anybody else remember this?

I also remember a photo store in New York City (...maybe Willoughby's?) advertising this cheap little camera that captured Super-8 frames on 126 cartridge film. It was all of about 10 dollars back in the '70s. At the time I was going into the City pretty often, but never got around to buying one.

(...good thing I didn't: working in one obscure film size is enough!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 07:25 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Century Optics made such a device. I have one for 16mm. It consists of a lens with the proper extension tube and then a film holder with a diffusion glass. I saw one recently on ebay, although I don't recall a Super8 version, they well could have made one. The company was run by Chris Condon back then and he was a master of the odd and unusual. He sold the company and then founded Sterevision where he made up his own split projection lenses for over/under 3-D projection.

John

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I seem to recall seeing a special lens for a 35mm SLR that had a slot for Super-8 at the front. You just aligned the film, made sure there was enough light, and snapped a "screen shot".

Does anybody else remember this?

Hi,

such devices have been sold by companies in Western Germany and Berlin (West): Canon, Fuji, Revue, Hama, Rowi, Soligor, Rondo, ... (Some of those devices look very similar = are most likely only relabeled Japanese/HongKong products)
I've seen similar devices from Eastern Germany on eBay as well.

Some of them can be found on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Rondo-Schmalfilm-Kopierer-fuer-N8-S8-Duplikator_W0QQitemZ330244680665QQihZ014QQcategoryZ28953QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.de/HAMA-Dia-Duplikator-8T-Kopiervorsatz-8mm-Super8-24x36_W0QQitemZ290239219609QQihZ019QQcategoryZ28953QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.de/Rondo-Diaduplikator-Super-8-mit-T2-Anschluss_W0QQitemZ310055157176QQihZ021QQcategoryZ28953QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

You can buy similar devices for slides - e.g. this one claims that you might even be able to zoom and hence only duplicate a small region of the slide. I wonder if the zoom range would allow using Super8-film instead of the slides?!
http://cgi.ebay.de/Dia-Duplikator-Scanner-fuer-Digitale-SLR-Kameras_W0QQitemZ230263683633QQihZ013QQcategoryZ18590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jörg

Adam Wilkins
Junior

- posted June 20, 2008 06:55 AM      Profile for Adam Wilkins   Email Adam Wilkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice topic Winbert. ive been thinking of this idea awhile back..how to print stills from super 8 film without telecine..Cinelarger is the answer.

how does one judge the amount of light and what kind of lamp is best? 120 film would be nice. Were Cinelarger's made for 135/35mm? or only the adapter for a 35mm SLR Camera?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC