8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your Favourite Tom and Jerry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Favourite Tom and Jerry
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 22, 2008 01:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I enjoy most about Super8 has been the "Tom and Jerry" cartoons, they have never lost there appeal the first one I bought was this title in Black and White back in the 70s, later I managed to obtain a colour print. Tom and Jerry are timeless and have given a lot of enjoyment to many over the years. If you could pick one that stands out what would it be?
 -
Get in Pot.....Get in Pot... [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 22, 2008 02:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be impossible to decide.

I love all of mine equally.

--------------------
Maurice

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2008 04:00 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any one with Tom or Jerry in it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2008 12:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Heavenly Puss", no doubt about it. While there are other cartoons in this series that are far more funny and better gags, this one is truly frightening in some ways. You actually feel for Tom's plight. I loved this one so much, I did a film review of this very title, look it up in the reviews on this forum.

One of the scope titles, "Bar B Que Brawl", with Tom and Jerry and Spike and Tyke. Great gags, as well as the scope release of "Muscle Beach Tom". Both of these were released as Cineavision prints on Super 8.

Two Mousesketeers comes to mind as well, a great change of pace for Tom and Jerry and led to I believe, three sequels :

Tom and Cherie, scope
Touche Pussycat, scope
Royal Catnap, scope

Your choice of "His Mouse Friday" was also a big change of setting and I think is about the most unique of the whole series.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 22, 2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure where I live factors into the decision, but that aside, "Mouse In Manhattan" is a beautiful combination of picture and music. Jerry leaves a sleeping Tom to head out to the big city and has some amazing adventures. Mike Peckham gave this to me as a gift during my first visit to the UK.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My particular favourite is also 'Mouse In Manhattan' although this is more of a 'Jerry' cartoon as Tom only appears at the begining and end. Cinematically I dont think this episode can be beaten and this is the closest T&J came to a hollywood movie. The way the music flows is excellent and I love the atmosphere you get from the roof scene. You can almost imagine being up there. This is probably my most played T&J cartoon and the Derann print is good.

Please remember that although the Waltons came in nice boxes, all the T&J ive seen were edited although the whole cartoons easily fit on a 200ft reel. All derann's are complete.

Graham S

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 22, 2008 06:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is as above the Two Mouseketeers along with Saturday Evening Puss. Hold on I love them all really [Smile] I think I have a soft spot for those particular titles as they were the first two T&J's I bought from Walton on super 8 sound.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 05:33 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Kitty Foiled" is one of my Favorites, always gets a laugh, when Jerry is tied to the tracks of a model train set and the expression on Tom's face, Hunched over the train engine, racing round the track. At the last moment the canary saves the day by dropping a bowling ball on to the tracks and the train with tom disappear down the hole.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 07:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry and Jumbo. The colour and music in the opening scene is real Hollywood animation at its best. Fun story too.

I have run it to death after buying it brand new in a camera store in Little Bourke St, Melbourne in 1979.

David

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 07:49 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opion it has to be The Two Mouseketeers.

I have probably shown it 100's of times but it always brings a smile to my face and to the audience.

Cheers MW

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten about one of the earlier Tom and Jerry's, "Solid Serenade", in which Tom sings a great little song ... "Is You Is?"

"Is You Is,
Or Is You Aint, My Baby?

A woman is a creature
Dats always been strange,
Juss when you think,
you figgered her out,
den she gets all re-arranged"

And Tom, a slappin that bass in perfect time, just diggin the rhythm!

Yoww!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johann Mouse for me it was the 1st super 8 sound film I brought

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M-114 MGM NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS is my favorite T&J. I always prefer the MGM versions, and mine has retained its color.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2008 07:10 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Joe--"The Night Before Christmas", which I showed, for about 12 years, on The Night Before Christmas! It was a Christmas Eve tradition, after early church service to settle the three kids in the basement cinema, complete with wood burning stove, and screen a 1200' reel of Christmas shorts--the same shorts, year after year after year. Along with Tom and Jerry and their endearing antics, I showed "The Shanty Where Santy Claus Lives" (awesome),. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "The Small One" and the crazy Fleisher "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" as well as other bits and pieces of Christmas oriented Super 8. Watching those cartoons put us in a very festive mood and I have fond memories of those movie nights in particular. Sorry if I've strayed off topic a bit, but yes, my favorite Tom and Jerry will always be "The Night Before Christmas".

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC