8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wittner Super 8 Cartridge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wittner Super 8 Cartridge
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 06:12 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed that Wittner now have new stock of Kodachrome 40 and Cineva 50D in Super 8 cartridges. I know that Cineva was not designed as a motion picture film hence the past film transport problems in the Super 8 cartridge, this was the reason I bought some cheap Fujica cameras and started shooting Cineva in the Single 8 cartridge. I would like to use Cineva in my Super 8 cameras but have the problems been sorted?
Wittner do the very convenient pre-paid mailers, but I suspect they are probably sending the Ceneva to Rero8 and the new K40 to Dwaynes, no problems just a long wait.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilkins
Junior

- posted July 09, 2008 06:56 AM      Profile for Adam Wilkins   Email Adam Wilkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, whats the Cineva like in Single 8? im in the middle of my first cartridge of fujichrome r200n...

sorry cant answer your question regarding the jittery cartridge..but i have read a little about the problems on filmshooting.com and cinematography.com Forums.

cheers

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New stock of Kodachrome 40 [Eek!] who made em? and how?

Graham S

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 07:27 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I have shot around a dozen Cineva 50D in single 8 cartridges and have had no problems. Fine grain, really strong bright colours and good low light shots mainly using a Fuji P2. Plus it can be sound-striped unlike Kodak 64T /100D I have used which it all fell off. The only downside is you only get 40ft inside a cartridge.
Nothing wrong with Fujichrome 25R , [it's just not as colour saturated as the Ceneva] and you can have it sent back soundstiped from Retro8. I used 3 carts of it and a 200N for filming my holiday last year and it has that real 70's cine look to it which I liked

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, just had another look at the R200N I shot last year. It's grainy but that is due to the high speed. At its best with the indoors shots with good colour balance , out doors shots I took in low light look without a filter looked quite blue.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 05:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, You have really inspired me to get my ZXM300 out to shoot some Fuji Single 8. I have an attachment for this camera to mount the Kowa 8Z lens on the front and I did all my filming this way back in the late 80's/90's. Scope looks really good on the Single 8 format as the film is rock steady with the design of film cart.
The thought of getting it back striped as well is a great plus.
What stock do you recommend for general use? and where is the best place to buy from here in the UK?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all due respect guys,and don't wanna play smart,but it's actually called CINEVIA,and here's a site-and a bit more info:
http://www.englisch.film-super8.de/index.html?7_filmmaterial/cv-beschr.html
..and my eternal question:when will we see this stock in the UK???

--------------------
Yannis

Adam Wilkins
Junior

- posted July 09, 2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Adam Wilkins   Email Adam Wilkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am using the Fujica Z800. only 160º Shutter. I was shooting in the forrest/snow under low light so i wonder if this will come with a blue tinge...i bought my film from Retro8 prepaid processing and soundstriping. looking forward to sound and visual cut ups in the future! still waiting on a stereo splicer and viewer..

Apparently 'smallformat' magazine will have a review/test on the Wittnerchrome V50D (Fuji Velvia) in issue #4 - 2008. Maybe this is already out? their website does not seem to be working at the moment.

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 12:23 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the S8 V fiddy D is in Kodapacks. Most folks on this side of the pond report good transport with fresh batteries and a properly adjusted clutch. Some jam up about halfway through though mostly due to the aforementioned clutch tensioning issue. They can often be freed up by hand.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 07:50 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Fuji Velvia in Kodak S8 cartridges is available at Wittner Cinetec as "Wittner Chrome V50D".

"Cinevia" is a brand of GK Film (Gottfried Klose). They are still working on their completely new designed S8 cartridge which also contains Fuji Velvia stock. A picture of the new cartridge can be found here under the section Products --> Super8.

Cinevia in Kodak cartridge is sold out.

Joerg

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a nice bit of single 8 kit Kev. My favorite is the cinevia 50D even though the 40 ft goes a bit quick, I would recommend buying a cartridge you wont be disappointed with the results. Wittner take paypal so ordering from them is easy, Frank in the netherlands ( super 8 reversal lab) used to have stock, but I'm not sure if he still carries it, excellent service. So that leaves Retro8 in Japan, havn't tried america.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC