8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Qusetion on U-8 packaging

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Qusetion on U-8 packaging
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 12:44 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I wrong in that, the earlier S8Sound 400' U-8 had the clear plastic with picture insert, then later the plain white plastic with a glued-on picture? - What years did these start and stop, also it might have ben nice if the U-8 200' S8Sound had clear plastic with picture inserts (I prefer them that way on the 400' editions anyway) Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 02:18 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, my U8 200ft print of A&C "Who's on First" is the clear plastic with pic insert version, so they DO exist.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 05:14 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a few of the 400' U8s when they were first available (1978?), and they were the white plastic type.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2008 07:16 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my universal 8's are in a plain white plastic box with a cardboard slip case, while others they just glued a picture onto the white plastic box.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 10, 2008 06:01 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cardborad slip-case - Please describe - And yes, the 200' WOF with A&C is a clam-shell with a glued color-scan affixed, most of the 200' were this way, what I wanted to know was when they started the clear plastic with paper insert and when they started the all-white plastic with glued picture - IOW, which came first, the clear or the solid and what years are we speaking of...I'd say 1977-1984 - You all know I'm so-fascinated with original packaging, I should write a short book about it

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 10, 2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that the first U-8 releases were packaged in the white plastic boxes (2 separate pieces) with the artwork glued to the top. I purchased both the 3-D "Creature From the Black Lagoon" and the 100' "Who's On First" in November of 1977 and they came that way.

-

A catalog from 1979 proudly mentions that "All films-200' or 400'-are packaged in a new durable plastic filmcase with new color graphics and storyline on a protective shrink-wrapped slipcase." That would be the white clamshell.

So when did the clear plastics come out?

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 12:09 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,
The white boxes were first. I have some prints of Family plot that came near the end of U8. Some even had the pic in black and white cheap copies

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures, Doug, you always do good by your friends - Yes, that is how I got my early ones too. Atta boy, Blackie, I knew you wouldn't let me down either [Smile] Shorts

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seemed to have been the style for a couple of companies at the time.

I've noted that the MGM Cinevision prints were in these plastic cases with a paper cover insert, (The Tom and Jerry's, for instance), and I have a Cinevision print of "Force 10 From Navarone" (400ft) in the larger 400ft plastic case with the clear cover as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 05:05 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
U8 had two types of white plastic boxes, ones with a "top" and a "bottom" and the white clamshell boxes that open like a book I alwats thought the "book type" were the last ones and the clear topped plastic ones were first, and the white two half type were in the middle.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 05:32 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DUCK SOUP,#4014 and MONKEY BUSINESS,#4011 are in white plastic containers with stuck on label. HORSE FEATHERS,#4013 andA&C IN THE FOREIGN LEGION are in clear containers with graphic insert in the lid. Maybe this was a time of "changeover?"Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 06:07 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 800 foot 2-parters are all in the white clamshell with slipcase. First one I bought was in 1979. For the 200 footers, I first bought one in 1977, RIDE'EM COWBOY with A&C, that was the 2 part white box -- my first Castle in a U-8 box. Also bought a 400 footer in 1977 in the 2 part white box.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 06:57 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both types of U8 white plastic box (clamshell and top/bottom) and also U8 in the clear top with the coloured slip under the clear plastic. Perhaps it was just some titles like Harlem Globetrotters etc that had the colour slip under the plastic?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course the 200' U8 releases didn't only come in:
Clear plastic box with label underneath
White plastic box with label on top of lid
White plastic clamshell inside slipcase

... as quite a few are in cardboard boxes with the label on top of lid

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a number of 200fters in the white plastic containers, with the cover sticker in side the box itself loose, I had to remove the paper backing off the covers and stick them on the lids myself just like a large sticker.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2008 06:42 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal 8 also used sturdy white cardboard boxes, with paper color label glued on top of lid (nothing on bottom). I think they only used these for the older releases, like the old black and white horror movies.

James.

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree that the white two-part boxes came first. I ordered the three Hitchcock films ("Psycho," "Frenzy," and "The Birds") as they first became available for the special sale price of $99.99, and they all arrived this way. An interesting note: I wrote Universal 8 and they allowed me to purchase just the box top decal (I believe they called them lithographs) for many films. I believe they ran 75 cents per label.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 12, 2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carter,

I remember that offer!

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 13, 2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew there would be a wealth of diverse conversation on the subject, my compliments gentlemen. Yet, DUCK SOUP #4014 DID also come with the lithograph insert under the clear plastic - I find these more attractive and collector item for ephrema - As a sideline book, or treatise to Scott's great CASTLE book, my desire is to have the photos and info on U-8 packagaing techniques. Actually, a book on all the other distributors with interviews of surviving employees

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, thanks for sharing the Universal 8 ad. I have not seen it in about 30 years! Carter

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever notice how sometimes the pic on the box was not a scene in the extract? Sometimes, it was from a different feature all together.

For instance:

U-8 W.C. Fields

That is not a scene from either the CALIFORNIA BOUND extract, nor the feature it is from -- IT'S A GIFT.
Ditto, THE BIG THUMB.

The MUCH ADO ABOUT GOLF (YOU'RE TELLING ME) pic is so generic, but it looks like the older Fields, not the 1934 Fields.

The other 2 are certainly from NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK.

At least they got the actor right! [Big Grin]

BTW, MUCH ADO ABOUT GOLF is the only Castle/U-8 Fields extract I don't have. I have all the 200 foot and 400 foot variants, including YOU'RE TELLING ME. Does GOLF have anything not in the 400 foot version?

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2008 09:05 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here You Go
First U-8 Boxes White Plastic Two Piece With Litho Glued On
2nd.White Clam Shell With Logo Imprint,Litho Glued
3rd.Same case with Cardboard sleeve Over Case
4th Clear two Piece With Litho Inside Case

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC