8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Xanadu (1980)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xanadu (1980)
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 01:45 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i know this is a hard title to find on Super 8, i just won a feature length print on 16mm off ebay for £30 odd pounds. Received it this morning and was plesently surprised that it had an extra reel of the songs from the movie. Plus i checked the stock and it is on Kodak SP but has no fade what so ever.

Can this be down to when the film may of been printed and if so does anyone know when Kodak SP stopped production. As i have also noticed some marks next to the word Kodak SP.

I must say the colour is outstanding and the print is in fairly excellent condition. The Extra music reel is not so plus it is slightly faded and guess what the stock is also Kodak SP bit of a strange one don't you think!?!

|  IP: Logged

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 04:33 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

I'm envious!

I just took delivery of the 16mm Rising Damp print that was on e-bay a few weeks ago. Despite being told "The man who tried them for me said the colour contents was of very good quality". I find the film to be completely faded to red.

I've told the seller that I'm prepared to give him £12 since that's what the reels are worth (not that I need more 1600 foot reels). We'll see what happens.

Stewart

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 04:59 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert SP was around from the early 1970's (perhaps earlier) until around 1983 when replaced with LPP. It is better than the old Eastman but most will in time fade. I sold a 16mm Elvis film, Change Of Habit a year or so ago and it was on SP and not too bad, but did have fade.

I grabbed the Super 8 2 x 400 Xanadu from Derann two weeks ago. It had original box artwork pasted onto an 800 ft box with a nice spool - it is also in Stereo! I have yet to run it but it is a tricky one to find. Now just to get the Blues Brothers!

David

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 07:24 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess i must be the lucky one then,got hold of an optical print of this on super 8 several years back,cost an arm and a leg back then,beautiful colour a booming sound,and later too a 16mm masked print,tho havnt run it at all since buying it 5 yrs back,then a laserdisc copy,and now a dvd,how many times can you watch a film and not tire of it?

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 07:33 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The music in Xanadu is one of the best modern musical soundtracks. The film did very well in Australia on first release, probably because of Olivia Newton John who was at her peak when it came out.

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 26, 2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ...

When you said you got a print of the film, were you talking about Xanadu or Rising Damp?

If Xanadu, then that gives me hope to find it on optical.

Hey, what is on that extra reel of songs from the film? Are they video's of the songs from the film? Are any of them of ELO? That would be super Xanadu cool!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi, Yes it was/ is Xanadu on optical,and an excellent print too,bought it around 15 or so years back,and if i remember correctly, it was Derek Simmonds own copy he sold me,i later picked up a nice print of Rhinestone,again not everyones cuppa,but some great music from Dolly P. Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC