8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pet Sematary print (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pet Sematary print
Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2008 04:58 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody. I was wondering if anyone here knows Andreas Eggeling?

I found him through this forum and was in the process of buying a print from him. After 10 weeks of very sporadic contact, we agreed on a price and shipping method - but without his Paypal address and an official total including all fees, I have had no way to pay him. It's been another 2 weeks since I last heard from him and he has not responded to multiple emails.

I don't know if there is some problem with my emails bouncing or what, but if anyone knows Andreas, can you please ask him to contact me via this forum or email? My address is mwill at flash dot net

Thanks for your help.

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have abbreviated you email address otherwise you will end up with spam if you display your actual email address on an open forum like that.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Andreas is an active member of this forum, a very nice person and a reliable dealer. I'm surprised that you're experiencing difficulties in communicating with him.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 07:24 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

in most parts of Germany the schools do have summer-holidays at the moment. As a "side-effect" most companies do have their summer-holidays as well. Hence I would expect Andreas to be away from his PC at the moment [Wink]

Jörg

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I knew Andreas was an active and trustworthy member of this community, though noticed he had not posted here since April.

If he is on vacation, I hope to hear from him when he's back!

Mike

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 04:43 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I am not in vacaciones en Espagna, over the alps in bella Italia
nor making a voyage circulaire par la France merveilleuse, I am still at home.

1. I was offered the 16mm feature "Pet Sematary"
for over 200 EUR.
2. You asked me for a cheaper price.
3. Cause know the bad exchange Dollar/EUR for US-Collectors I was willing to sell it cheaper.
4. Then you asked me about quality.
5. I told you that the print has stunning color and no scratches
6. You asked if the print is uncut and have the bad words.
7. I tried my best to find out that it is the original "R"-Rated version.
8. I drove to post office with the film to ask for p & p
9. I told you p & p, and the costs of paypal fees.
10. You asked me why you should pay the paypal fees, cause I never told about it.
11. since then I no longer have "lust" to sell print.

-> We donīt living in a eBay world with ebay rules. <-
If the big company who destroyed our hobby, cause flogged collecting values into the cellar, in that they propaganding
"sell from 1 EUR, or you have to pay much fees", "donīt charge your fees to the customer", in that they propaganding "buy from 1 EUR, donīt pay the costs of fees the seller have",
then I donīt willing to the rules outside eBay.

Amen

Does nobody of the over 1000 forum members here asking himself why there are less and less new 8mm releases since eBay start up???

Thats the reason why I started mediavana, to hold the collecting values, to keep the 8mm flag flying.

best
Andreas

[ August 01, 2008, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 01, 2008 05:29 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats Mediavana, Andreas?

-Mike

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 05:41 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Michael,

www.mediavana.de

it is my own buy and sell plattform for collectors.
Without any fees!!!
Has at the moment 150 members.

Have sold a lot their. Needs more time, but I got the fair prices I want, not like a game on ebay.

best
Andreas

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 11:58 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a good idea... and what a great site. Well done Andreas.

Someone give me a prod if the 2x400ft 'Das Bose' turns up on there!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas...

I'll send you another email privately.

Mike

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 02:49 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what the above "eye-roll" emoticon is for, but I have emailed Andreas privately and hope to hear back from him.

I am thankful he responded to this message on the forum. At least I know where he stands.

As always, there are two sides to every story and I have sent mine privately to him in detail. Let's just say after agreeing on a price very quickly and easily (within a couple days of my initial contact), 10 weeks of delays with very little communication were very frustrating as a buyer. And when a last minute fee addition popped up I reacted out of this frustration. It had nothing to do with an "eBay" mentality.

I hope Andreas and I can work this out, as I feel this is just a matter of poor communication on both our parts. I did not mean to offend Andreas, and actually apologized to him via email the day after I told him I wasn't expecting to pay his Paypal fees. My emails went unanswered, which is why I posted here. (And to clarify, I was not rude to him at all. I simply stated I would like to stick to the original price I was quoted of the print plus shipping).

Film collecting has proven to be a rewarding community of like minded friends for me, and I'd hate to have a bad relationship with Andreas as he seems to be cool guy devoted to the hobby. As evidenced by his fantastic website...

Mike

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2008 04:56 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas, I honestly don't get it. You've proven yourself to be quite rude.

I was always polite to you, even though after nearly THREE MONTHS of asking, you NEVER checked the print to see if it was R rated. It would have taken all of 10 minutes.

So...Since Andreas is obviously not interested in selling film (though he built a website around it) I will give my side of the story from a buyers perspective:

1: I search through old posts and find Andreas has been trying to sell this print since 2006 for 200 Euros.

2: I try to PM him from here. The PM function is not working.

3: I find on his profile a link to his film sales website.

4: I go through the process of setting up an account which takes quite a while as the site is in German and I am using a translation website to figure out what to do.

5: I finally email him an inquiry on June 2. I get a reply the same day.

6: On June 3, Andreas says "would sell for 165 EUR plus shipping." I agree to this on the condition that it is the R rated uncut version.

7: On June 4, Andreas says he isn't sure if it's R rated. His repeated claim of "stunning color" as a selling point is irrelevant as the film is from 1989. All stock is low fade at this point. I still need to know it's unedited.

8: I scan through my DVD and find, at about 50 minutes into the film, there is a curse word. Since violence is subjective I ask him to look at the first 5-10 minutes of Reel 2 to check for this word. I give him a detailed description of the scene. Andreas agrees to look for it for confirmation.

9: Over the next two months I ask once a week if Andreas has checked the print. He usually does not respond. When he does, he always says he hasn't done it. So his claim of checking the print "to the best of his ability" means it sat in his closet untouched for two months.

10: I give up and just say I'll buy it anyways. I can tell, even though he has a site set up for film sales, he is not really interested in the "details" of the sale.

11: It takes another 2 weeks to get an accurate shipping quote from him, which is 30 Euros more than his estimate 2 months prior.

12: The last email he sends me says "I also have to charge my paypal fees."

After over TWO months of me politely asking for info on a print over and over and over that will cost me appx $400, I had had enough. At this point, I thought I deserved a damn AWARD for sticking around so long through Andreas' selling technique, not another fee. I tell him, since I was originally quoted "165 EUR plus shipping" that I would like to stick to that. Especially since he was never willing to confirm this was an uncut print.

I never hear from him again. Realizing I'd rather have the print than squabble over ten measly dollars, I send him an apology. I tell him I hope I did not offend him and if that's his policy, then that's his policy. I accept it. I even try to send Paypal payment with all fees included, but his email address I have is not his registered Paypal address.

I post here, and he responds with ridiculous nonsense about how eBay has destroyed film collecting, implying it's collectors like me who are destroying the hobby. (???)

He says he has his own website for film sales with NO FEES!!!

So, let it be known, when Andreas is trumpeting his own "feeless" website, what he means is there are no fees FOR HIM to sell. Those are all put upon the buyer.

I am incredibly confused and disappointed in Andreas as a film seller and, more importantly a film collector.

My experience with him (and I am of course only speaking for myself) is that, when dealing with a polite customer like myself who is willing to bend over backwards to accommodate him (I mean seriously guys... Nearly THREE MONTHS to check the first 5 minutes of a reel? And then he DOESN'T EVER DO IT?) is thus:

1: Andreas is only interested in "take it or leave it" sales. He will not check a print. He will only report his memory of it from last time he watched it.

2: Andreas exhibits an ego as a film dealer in which he likes to feel superior to the customer.

3: Andreas does not care about customer satisfaction. He will drag you along and only until you say, out of exhaustion, "fine, I'll buy it" does he respond to emails again.

4: Andreas does not really care about selling film. I believe his website exists more as a showpiece of what he has rather than an interest to sell. There is NO OTHER EXPLANATION for how he treated me.

Again...I want to reiterate...I WAS NEVER RUDE TO ANDREAS. In fact, I often felt as though I was walking on eggshells with him. "Oh please, Mr Andreas, sir. Can you please find the time this month to finalize our sale? Pretty please? I know you are a great and important man. I would be honored to buy unchecked film from you. Please, sir, respond to my email so I know where to send the payment."

In retrospect, I can't believe I put up with it.

So, in closing, I can not recommend Andreas Eggeling as a film seller and I can not recommend purchasing anything from his Mediavana website. You might find something you like and then, 3 months later, be begging him to buy it and get a "Rolling Eyes" icon in response.

Andreas, it is not an honest buyer like me, nor eBay that hurts the hobby. It is people like you who interact rudely with other film collectors that hurts it.

Sincerely,

Mike Williamson

[ August 04, 2008, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Mike Williamson ]

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 04:42 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

16mm features in Germany always costs about 200 EUR.
I bought the print for slight over 200,- EUR some years ago.
I was willing to give you the print 25% cheaper.
You first wasnīt interested in paying the paypal fees.
If I would pay it, than I would give you the print cheaper as cheaper.

Thats what I call the hobby cannibalism ebay rules!!!

.... and you started here a topic called "Andreas Eggeling".

Did I fraud you??? NO!!
Negotiations can break.

But rude me, I think I will survive it.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 05:29 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mike...
you are so OFF base when it comes to Andreas.
I have purchased countless prints from him. He is MY ONLY SOURCE for Prints from Germany. Andreas has always been polite and helpful. HE has always BEEN HONEST, FAIR and accurate in the descriptions and selling of the films. I use to sell films myself, until I realized I couldnt make EVERYONE happy. I read the above, and I do not feel Andreas is ripping you off. As for the Paypal fees..I think it's the buyers responsibility. If Andreas forgot to mention it before hand....big deal. He IS human, even though HE IS GERMAN.
I think they are still human.
What are the paypal fees? 10 bucks? Come on man! Silly Stuff Mike! You're grasping.
There should be a give and take and a common courtesy NOT ONLY from the seller, but from the BUYER as well. The costumer is NOT always right. Wait..you didn't even BUY anything!
Perhaps Andreas felt you weren't truly interested In the Print...
OR He didnt like you. I'm not sure. But, for whatever reason he had, it's his right not to sell to you. As for NOT checking the print...PLEASE do remember, ENGLISH is his second or 3rd language. An admirable thing considering MOST Americans speak only 1....Doesn't say much about the U.S., I digress into a social statement.
Anyway, back to Andreas..OH YEA, PLUS, he HAS A LIFE, I'm sure he does. Even though he IS German, he may still have a life. Give a LITTLE Mike, it'll make the world a little nicer.
There was no money transfered...so, he was NOT Obligated to you.
So, Speaking for myself and MANY other Collectors I KNOW that have purchased from ANDREAS. He is TOP NOTCH and simply THE BEST in GERMANY!

PS...Mike,it may not have occured to you. But, your post does not help your arguement since it makes you come across as a childish and vengeful sort of collector. You also State "Again...I want to reiterate...I WAS NEVER RUDE TO ANDREAS".
What the hell do you call an ANTI-ANDREAS post. Not nice OR FAIR.
Thought I'd let you know,
Signed, it's not that big of a deal

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 06:55 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I don't want to get envolved in this thing at all. But I would like this to be resolved.

From what I see, Andreas has been a good super 8 provider for collectors for many years. As Robert says, he's human. Possibly the whole business transaction with Mike could have been smoother. We have all probably experienced transactions with excellent super 8 dealers, that on one or two occassions, did not go as smooth as we wanted.

On the other hand, Mike had a bad experience in trying to make this purchace, and wants to voice his frustration, which I think he felt was a last resort to make the transaction.

We all make mistakes from time to time. I don't think there are really any sides to take on this issue. Both seem like good guys, and this particular deal went sour.

I hope it can be let go now.

P.S.-
Now that both parties have been able to voice their thoughts, I vote that this thread could be removed [Wink] .

James.

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 09:47 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was not an anti-Andreas topic. This topic was started to see if he could be reached as he had not responded to my emails in two weeks, after two months of unnecessarily difficult back-and-forth.

It was Andreas who decided to post here publicly with a ridiculous tirade against me and eBay. It was he who turned this thread negative. Please re-read the sequence of events.

Since Andreas felt it appropriate to publicly discuss what I did "wrong" as a customer, I thought it only fair to publish my side of the story.

I am aware Andreas is well liked here. This is not the issue. The issue is he made it very difficult for me to buy something from him due to an unwillingness to check the print after 10 weeks of asking, and a tendency to never respond to emails.

Yes, he has a life. But he also has a film sales website. I expect someone who goes through the trouble to establish themselves as a film seller to act like one. Not make me feel as if I am a nuisance for asking if an R rated film is uncut.

And re-read again about the Paypal fees. I would have paid them in a heartbeat under normal circumstances, but I had been so frustrated with the lack of communication from Andreas - unless he was talking about money - that it was a matter of principal. After 10 weeks he refused to spend 5 minutes to check the print. But his last two emails to me bumped up the price of this print almost 50 Euro, based on higher shipping than quoted and new Paypal fees.

I was feeling like I was being taken for a ride.

At the beginning of this thread I stated that I knew Andreas was thought to be a trustworthy and valued member of the film community. This is why I tried to reach out to him here. I was (and still am) utterly confused by his actions as a seller. How can this person, who strung me along for 10 weeks then canceled a sale because he didn't like that HE made ME upset, be the same Andreas everyone else applauds?

I still do not know.

I feel I did everything a buyer should do in a transaction, and overstepped no bounds. I asked for a price quote and print condition. That's IT. With both of those, Andreas failed to deliver any consistency with the sale.

I am very sorry this sale did not happen. As you can imagine, I really wanted the print, and it was very upsetting to almost have it for ten...long...weeks...only to see it disappear through no fault of my own. Like I said, I agreed to ALL his terms, including Paypal fees. But in the end it was Andreas' ego, and his bizarre association with me as the "evil eBay mentality" who ended it all.

I have spoken honestly and matter-of-factly in these posts, and would appreciate they not be removed, as suggested by an above poster. My experience is legitimate, and so are my claims.

Mike

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 04, 2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that Mike needs verification but, I just want to say that he has bought from me in the past and I had absolutely no problems - excellent communication and excellent outcome. I would not hesitate for one second to deal with him again.

Its always a shame when a film deal doesn't work out like this for whatever reason.
But, I agree with Mike - no reason to remove the thread from the forum.

-Mike (O'Regan)

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the comment. I realize I am not a familiar name on this forum, but am very active on the 16mm Film Talk forum.

Mike O'Regan sold me one of my favorite prints and I found him to be very detailed with his description of film condition, and a very personable guy, too. A great transaction.

I've bought about fifty 16mm features from all over the world in the last couple years, and this transaction with Andreas is one of the only unfortunate events I've encountered.

Other than the guy in Australia who sold me a print with the last 20 minutes missing. Which is why I'm such a stickler for the seller knowing what they are selling me and checking the print.

Mike

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 04, 2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though Mike Williams' post at the top was very polite. He stated he was ready to pay all fees and complete the transaction. When Andreas replied intially he seemed to be disturbed about the transaction and Mike's post, then proceeded to bring Ebay, big business and the his belief that the 8mm hobby is in decline because of Ebay.

I post here more than other forums because the members are polite and above all have a great sense of humor, plus no poltics or religious views are allowed. So what's up with the irritating reply to Mike Williams.

I have sold over 5000 films on Ebay and I don't think I've hurt the collecting hobby, but rather provided a service. In this new era of internet information, I think Ebay and other websites have helped save the hobby. Let's face it, people just don't buy from paper publications like they used to. Andreas, even you are selling on the world wide web.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thing also that is no reason to remove this topic. As also a collector/dealer from Germany, I would say, it was much better to sell something years ago before euro. At this time was the profit very high. For example if you sold something for $100, you get 250 German Mark, that was ca. 125 Euro. Now you get for $100 only 65 Euro. Minus ebay and paypal fees maybe ca. 50 Euro.
Yes itīs difficult to sell something on ebay and dealing with oversea is no more profitable.
But this is not a ebay deal and if someone use a website like Andreas to offer films for sale, itīs sellers (his) job to say a total in US Dollar and not Euro and of corse without extra fees etc.
I cantīgo to a supermarket and want buy something and they tell me at the cashpoint "hey you must pay also the sale Tax".

Andreas was not very proffesional.
Itīs a little bit different, if a collector sell to another collector and they do this not often.
Ok, Andreas is also a collector but he want to be a dealer and if he want to be a good dealer, it is very important to give a good service and this sounds like a unprofessional customer service.
A Tip for Andreas: I price my films a little bit higher and take much less for shipping as I actualy pay, because if I take the same shipping price like a US dealer, itīs sounds much better for the US buyer.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 04, 2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paypal fees should not have been a separate issue, in any case, in my opinion.

Usually a seller will allow for these fees plus other possible expenses such as Ebay listing fees in the asking price for the particular item.
So, not sure why these suddenly came up at the end of the negotiations.

-Mike

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
21 answers to this topic. Does I getting famous or am I already?

Hey Oemer,

quote:
Ok, Andreas is also a collector but he want to be a dealer and if he want to be a good dealer, it is very important to give a good service and this sounds like a unprofessional customer service.
1. I selling my collection but I donīt it give away.

2. You comparing me with a supermarket. I am not supermarket.
Paypal fees are costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE P & P
Any reasons why the seller should have to pay the paypal fees automatically??
If I see a product on a website, I canīt say ...oh nice .. I want it ... but the seller have to pay the p & p, costs of financial transactions, bank fees, have to pay the petrol I need to pick it up from the post office ..... Hello?

3. If I have a problem with someone of this forum here or outside the forum, I would never come to the idea to make a topic with his name. Hello?

4. Everybody who sells and buy on ebay or here is a "dealer" too.
Ans less deals on ebay would be better to Ltdīs like Derann.

EBAY AND EBAY RULES ARE THE DEAD OF OUR HOBBY!!!

Amen

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas-

I did not come here and start a topic on this forum because I had a problem with you.

I started this topic because I hadn't heard from you in weeks and thought my email might be bouncing (I have had this happen with my email to Europe, for some reason). Since I initially heard of you from this forum, I thought you, or someone you might know, could contact you so we could finish the transaction.

Did you even read the first post?

It was you, and continues to be you, who is hostile here. I'm still wondering why your attitude is so out of line with what happened with our transaction.

Mike

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC