8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Re-edited super 8 digests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Re-edited super 8 digests
Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a fun topic might be super 8 digests that were released in at least two versions due to film companies re-editing the film. I know of two, and am sure readers could contribute others.

Ken Films re-edited "The Sound of Music" by replacing the scene in which butler Franz and young Rolf discuss the Nazi invasion as Rolf delivers a telegram to the house (an unnecessary scene to the digest's storyline) with an extended "Do-Re-Mi" sequence and various short clips of dancing at the formal party and the Captain and Maria's wedding.

Walt Disney Super 8, in their "The Super Nanny" digest of "Mary Poppins," originally included the scene where Mary wows the children by furnishing her room with large objects from her carpet bag. This was followed by a heavily-edited "Spoonful of Sugar." Later the digest was re-edited, this scene was deleted, and (almost) the entire song was substituted.

Knowing these two versions exist could allow a serious film collector to add footage to their existing print.

Do any forum members know of other cases of re-editing?

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 10, 2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example is the versions of 'Tommy' released by Iver. The first 400' they released was a very full reel. For some reason, this was followed by another 400' that was significantly shorter and was not a 'Part 2' type release as much of the second release duplicated the first, but I recall it has one or two scenes not on the first. There's no obvious explanation unless they decided the footage on the first 400' was too generous.

Anyone wanting the longest possible Super 8 version could also add material from the Columbia 400' that isn't on either Iver release.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2008 07:17 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now remember Columbia 8mm re-edited "Brian's Song." The "welcome to the Chicago Bears" hazing-type scene appeared in the second version. But since version II includes a few poorly planned jump cuts, I thought version I was a more professional edit.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen two versions of Disney's PETE'S DRAGON 200 footer.
The one is the regular version with the I LOVE YOU TOO and I SWEAR I SAW A DRAGON sequences. The other version starts the same with I LOVE YOU TOO, but I SWEAR I SAW A DRAGON was dropped and replaced with the part where Jim Backus is showing people around Passamaquoddy and gets pelted with eggs.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two different versions of Castle's Son of Frankenstein with slightly different scenes. Scott MacGillivray discusses this in his excellent book on Castle Films.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2008 04:36 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

The 2nd Iver release of TOMMY was actually a professionally edited promo probably meant for the Cannes Film festival before it was released,the quality was far superior to there 1st release,probably taken from a 35mm neg.

Cheers Mark W

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC