8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig P8 automatic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 automatic
Howard Crandell
Junior

- posted August 10, 2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Howard Crandell   Email Howard Crandell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just acquired this unit. I haven't tried to run film yet. I plugged it in and everything seems in working order; light bulb, fan, etc.
My question is:

1) I think I need a new drive belt. You can see a defect at the red arrow, and the belt looks deformed/stretched. I plugged it in and the belt fails to rotate on the upper or lower spool. I have had the 'still' lever engaged and not engaged, affecting no change.

- 2) The yellow arrow indicates where there has been an overflow or leakage of a black grease-like substance. I found this coated on the lower 'fan spool', the blades of the fan and the upper 'still spool'. It was worse than shown in the photo since I have tried to clean some of it off. Should I be concerned about this?

-

This unit would seem to have been sold or handled in Canada, going by the label. Is there still a supplier for the drive belt in Canada or the United States ?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Howard. There are a lot of people here who can help you get that Eumig up and running like new. The P8 is a great little mchine, a real ground breaker in its time, and is highly regarded by most 8mm collectors. It is built like a tank, and should last forever if you clean it regularly, do an occasional lubing (sparingly!)of the gears, and replace the belts as required.

For replacement belts for the Eumig P8, GO HERE:

http://www.cinebelts.co.uk/projector_drive_belts.htm

The black grease you report is probably the result of the previuos owner doing a poor job of lubing the machine. Just wipe up as much as you can and make sure that you get it all off the pulleys used by the belt, otherwise the belt will just slip.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2008 01:09 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes all it needs is a new drive belt-dead easy to fit and a clean up generally.However a word of warning for owners of these projectors:DO NOT TOUCH THE MOTOR DRIVE PULLEY IF PLUGGED IN WHILST SERVICING-ITS LIVE!!! This is common to the whole P8 range and is NOT a fault.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow Barry - I never knew that. What on earth ( no pun intended [Big Grin] )were Eumig thinking designing in a live motor shaft. If you used a metal spring drive belt (instead of rubber) the whole machine would be live!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Howard Crandell
Junior

- posted August 11, 2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Howard Crandell   Email Howard Crandell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ordered the drive belt from 'Cinebelts Projector Drive Belts'. It will be great to get things up and running. I have only recently been given the task of reviewing the family’s films of the fifties as shot by my 87 year old father. My parents are getting on in years and have not reviewed their home movies for many years. They had to stop showing any due to the film getting hung up at the gate and burning out the cell.

I have been on the look out for a reputable projector for some time.
Through this forum I am learning a lot along the way. I can see in the very near future I will be looking for answers on splicing, leaders, etc.

I intend to do many a search on this site through the extensive archive.
My thanks for the quick responses from everyone.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2008 01:00 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Beleive it,its true! I have owned four of these remarkable machines since I was a kid.They are all the same-even the latest last made P8 I own has the same live drive pulley.Dont know why this was the case (maybe an Austrian secret weapon!) hence they all have rubber belts.Its just the spool belts that are spring type.Crazy!
Cleverly though,all gears right through the power train are all insulated nylon type-so there is effectively no direct earth to machine.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Ethem Pekin
Junior

- posted September 22, 2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Ethem Pekin   Author's Homepage   Email Ethem Pekin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

My Eumig P8m also rests aside due to a problem with the switch.

During Christmas time the forward/reverse switch stuck in the reverse position. I tried to open the cover but I can only access the motor and some other pieces. The on/off and forward/reverse switches are on the other side of the cover. Does anyone had this projector and came accross the same problem?
Can I access the other side of the projector?

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethem,you should be able to access the switchgear from underneath the projector.You will need to remove the baseplate by removing screws,which will also bring the door off at the same time.Bear in mind though that these Eumigs went through many,many modifications and there may be slight differences in removing the baseplate.But that is the only way you can reach the underside of those switches.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Ethem Pekin
Junior

- posted September 25, 2008 05:39 AM      Profile for Ethem Pekin   Author's Homepage   Email Ethem Pekin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Barry,

Thank you for the information. Here is a close-up of the baseplate. Unfortunately one of the screws is stuck so I could not manage to open it, yet. On the other hand even if I can open it, I am not sure if it will be possible to solve the issue with the switch.

-

Here is the problematic switch (the one on the back). It is on reverse and when I move it, it does not make click.
 -

I guess I should keep this projector as a decorative item.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC