8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 'Duel' super 8 clips from youtube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Duel' super 8 clips from youtube
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2008 12:39 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyj52n1lOuA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqsRldVtkDU&feature=related

I had thought about doing this and this guy did a great job of taping.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 15, 2008 03:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice transfer ideed...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2008 08:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That first one is definitely Super 8, and looks it, (still relatively sharp), but some of the other clips onn U-Tube look more like 16MM or even a VHS or Disc copy.

It's too sharp.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2008 02:33 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link Larry.

I had never owned this digest, so its nice to finally see it. I wish I had bought one now!

Thats another fine example of U-8's excellent editing work. That digest really captured the atmosphere of the movie, while nicely condensing it to 18 minutes or so.

And the colors!?!?

That was an early U-8 release, so I expected this print to be all red. You just never know with super 8 releases.

James.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 15, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which leads me to my question for you 8mm collectors - what film stocks are generally used in 8mm and S8?

-Mike

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2008 03:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you ever do put anything up on the web like that just pray that Universal don't track you down.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2008 11:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. If you own it personally in your collection, they can't touch (if it was a legal release of Universal material), but if your showing it to others for profit, then your in trouble.

But U TUBE doesn't apply, as this is downloadable for free, I don't think the person who posted it could be sued, as they are not making any money off of it, and isn't the stipulation on these lovely Super 8 prints we buy is that we are not to show them for profit?

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2008 04:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's unlikely Universal will bother taking an individual to court but I wouldn't take the risk. "Private" use surely doesn't include public exhibition which is what YouTube is.

Similarly if someone copies one of my DVD releases and sticks it on YouTube I'd be looking to take legal action. I don't see much difference.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy that posted the clips is lucky that his print seems to have not faded yet!

Incidentally, the comments below the Youtube screen indicate that he bacame a bit out of touch with Super 8, as he says people stopped buying the films in the mid-1980s!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 02:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, essentially, he's right. As a general rule, most people did stop collecting Super 8 by then Adrian ...

except for us insane little hobbyists,

(and I enjoy my little bit O insanity!)

[Smile] [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Wink] [Razz] [Eek!]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John is certainly right about this: "downloadable for free" has no bearing on copyright infringement. I'd venture that most copyright infringement doesn't involve money.

In the case of YouTube, wouldn't you think that the individual isn't likely to be pursued so much as the owner would ask YouTube to delete the clips?

What do you make of the occasional loss of sound in the clips? Stripe falling off? Bad language being muted? Equipment frying or cable loose?

These must have been printed on Fuji. It would be interesting to see if he would look for edge markings!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 18, 2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Youtube is an ocean of copyright infringements. These days when a song pops into my head and I want to hear it, I search in Youtube and odds are I'll find it 10 times over; sometimes as commercial music videos and sometimes synced up to amateur "footage" and stills. The same goes for sequences from TV shows and feature films too.

-certainly the quality is poor but the access is enormmous!

We sometimes ask if it's OK to show a commercial S8 print in front of a hall with 20 people, but that's nothing compared to some of this stuff that gets over a million views.

My feeling is it won't go on forever.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2008 06:05 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are clips from THOUSANDS of movies on YouTube, not to mention almost ANY song. In fact, there isn't much that you can't find at least a clip of. So I wouldn't be too worried about anyone raising a fuss over those clips from "Duel".

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 24, 2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have seen his youtube and I should say that the colors of his film is good to be true.

I've read somewhere in his page that he is a film restorer, so I can assume the his film has been digitally restored and re-colored. I can say so because in some area where the background is brighter than the other darker color then there was seen some ghosting of the darker colors. What do you htink?

BTW, was "Duel" available in 1 x 400 or 2 x 400" and was it released in the latest Universal 8 pack or the white plastic box with artworks sticked on it?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2008 04:17 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winburt-

"Duel" was one of the first releases by Universal 8, after it changed from Castle Films.

"Duel was released at the same time as "Earthquake", "Airport", and "That Man Bolt", to name a few.

Universal 8 was only releasing single 400 foot versions of these new titles at that time, so "Duel" never made it to the 2 x 400 foot releases.

About the colors-

I think it is very possible that the colors on the YouTube clips are true to the super 8 film. While some of my U-8's have faded badly, some have held up like this one.

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC