8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your help required for our Mag

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your help required for our Mag
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 05:21 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please refer to my previous posting of film mag idea???
So far only one reply of positive action, [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, sorry, my brain isn't really into the hobby these days, hence not quite understanding what you were asking for. If I get you correctly, you're calling for material to be included in future issues of FFTC, right? Either old forum articles or new material, correct?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 06:16 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,
Just looking for some little bits from a few collectors, maybe its about your involvement within hobby, (any personal memories of visits to the BFCC or other conventions) how long you have been collecting, the size of your collection, or maybe about your own home cinema or even sometnig about cinema's in your home town,
I was hoping to put together something like a 3-4 page mix of some of us on the forum and our input to the hobby or what you enjoy in Film, how you got into the hobby, or about any cine clubs. Almost anything anyone would like to put in,
If anyone wishes to simply jot it down in notes i can try and put someting together,
Out of interset i do have a friend in Italy who has kindly sent me a complete breakdown of his 1200HD Projector restoration from a scrapheap condition to almost new,
By the way, I do hope im not coming over rude or abbrubt, its purley to do a little something to do with people on this forum, after all, its taken a bashing sometimes dont you think?
[Wink]
Certainly not neccessarily looking for anything more than half to one page, any images are also welcome,

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2008 06:37 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'm reading Jean-Marc right, Tom, but I think what he's asking is... "when you've collected these articles, where are you going to PUBLISH them?"

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 10:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah i see,
What i was thinking is this,
I have done many Elmo articles now to the point that if i'm not careful i shall be repeating myself.
What i thought was, depending on how many i get, i could do a one off 2-4 page mini articles as a mix bag.
I belive Derann are asking for article now for the next edition so i would put some items together and send them to Derann as a Forum gang type mixture. After all people have said some unkind things about this forum so it would be our chance to show them our best. They would be published,(hopefully) between now and Xmas.

Although the column itself would obviously be by me i would ensure that the articles are by the named people.
Alternativly of course anyone who wished to do a good full blown item and send it to Derann themselves would be very welcome, but i fully understand that sometimes people can be too busy to do it themselves hence my thoughts of perhaps getting some small bits n pieces and just trying to put someting together collectivly from all of us. It can be on absolutly anything to do with our hobby.

I suppose in a way it would be like a minature 4 page version of projections. Do i sound daft or is it a reasonable idea?? [Wink]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

I can set you up with some pictures and a story about my Towers. To the best of my knowledge, they have never been published in FFTC. Let me know if interested. I'll need a standard email address so I can send you a zip file with everything included. Don't forget to modify your address if you want to post it here to avoid spammers. Or you can send your email to mine per below:

chipgelmini(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, That would be great buddy, my mail is,(and for anyone else)

tphotiou(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk

Many thanks.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
If you think this has any merit, I could write/photograph a piece on enjoying this hobby when you really don't have the space for it. We live in a small apartment, and I use both Super-8 and 16mm (with 6000ft reels and a long-play tower) despite the constraints.
Let me know if you think this would fit in.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I never knew that there was any backlash or unkind words about the 8mm Forum.

I've always found it to be very informative and have met some truly great people through it. If the backlash is from the British side of things, then know that I would have never known about the UK sellers and film distributors if it was not for the forum.

But then ... you can't make everybody happy all the time. Some one is always going to get a "bee" in thier bonnet, (guess what I'm talkin about, it isn't a "bonnet") about this or that.

So if there is any ill feelings towards the 8mm forum, it's probably an internal thing by those who just wish to gripe, or perhaps, simplistic jealousy.

After all, I'm jealous and treasure the good folks I have met over this forum.

LONG LIVE SUPER 8 AND LONG LIVE THE FORUM!!

Tom, I have an article I wrote entitled, "In search of Hoppity", which details my long search for a grand print of that film, and also what to look out for when looking for a good copy. Your welcome to use it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claude, that would be good, Thank you,

Osi,

If thats OK to use and you can send it me via e amil that would also be ideal, I dont think too many people have said anything bad bif time, just a few snubbs from anpther mag (& im not sure the guy even exists!!!!!any ideas??)

With permission i will edit/alter some of the wording to make the articles, so far so good, keep them comeing, big or small. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good Tom. The article concerning "Hoppity" has no photo's so if you wished to provide them with some, then that's okay.

I don't know what the rules and regulations are for the forum, but if you wish to use any of my reviews that I have done on the forum, you are most welcome to do so. Though most tend to be optical sound super 8 releases, there are quite a few cartoon ones ect.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2008 03:11 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good Osi, id like to do that if you can mail me any,

Sorry Clause, i did get your name wrong in my reply, i would very much like to have your story. [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2008 03:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar to Tom I'm looking for information for the 'smallformat' history of the package movie series. I'm trying to find out what I can about the more obscure distributors of the past... Jean-Marc has come up with some European companies about whom we know very little - AVO Film (Italy), Grands Films Classiques (France), Elan (Belgium) and the travelogue distributors Kronos Film and Film Ville. If anyone has any information about these companies, however small, please let me know.

Also, if anyone can come up with any obscure US dealer names I'd like to have them too!

Tom, how about an article about you and your brother coming to BFCC's over many years? I'd find that interesting and I'm sure others would too. After all, it ain't exactly just up the road for you is it?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2008 07:46 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

I just posted in the General Yak Section, a transcript of a short article about the construction and use of a cinema my Father frequented in the desert in North Africa during WWII. The article was from an army circular and it was printed in 1942 so I doubt there is any copywrite on it. [Wink]

By all means use that for the Mag if you think it might be of interest. I shall try to scan and upload a photo of it too.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2008 01:50 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, if ok with you i may pinch that and just do a shorty version, Many thanks to you, (nice to hear from you)

John,
i will follow that idea up, on your small format article are you aware of the late Rodger Lily of movieland international here in Plymouth,(formly the looney movie co aka Aarchive Films? Although mainly a seller he did release on 8mm the scope feature of The Riddle of the Sands. A lovely bloke who always had a lot of time for cine chat. Many of our collection came from here. [Wink]
the company is still going strong by his Son but now they release some excellent Video Shorts on the history of this area, JEEPERS, theres one for me as well right on my doorstep [Embarrassed]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gee, I never knew that there was any backlash or unkind words about the 8mm Forum."

Unkind words would be putting it mildly! There was a situation about 2-3 years ago when another forum - that covered both digital projection and film - suddenly became fanatical about digital and then became unbelievably hostile towards film collecting and collectors. This Forum then became one of the targets. However, things calmed down and the other forum no longer exists.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2008 03:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't 'Looney' based in Liskeard, Cornwall at one time Tom?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2008 01:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
thats correct, brfore Liskeard he had a shop at 2, Cathcart Avenue, Prince Rock which was where i use to visit and bought my first Elmo 1200ST for £375.00. He then moved to the main road (near Taylors Motors) in Liskeard, (where i collected a 400ftcut down of getting straight,still in my collection. He moved back to Plymouth and eventualy settled at Lalebrick Road Hooe.
You can still e amil Phil lilly at www.aarchive.co.uk
On this link there is a brief history of the company.

Phil and Roger made a video (now on DVD) which my Brother Philip wrote called Plymouth, Chronicles of the civil war. We wernt too happy with the result but it was a first for us and it was great to do this with Roger who sold us 50% of our collection.

BTW. I'm going to un-ashamedly plug my Brothers book Plymouths Forgotten war which i was proud to see in the Window of Waterstones in Plymouths city centre this weekend. Check it out on a google search, his next book is a novel set during this period.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 19, 2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

I used that e-mail you listed above and sent you that "Hoppity" article that I spoke of. Please let me know if it's in a format that you can download.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 20, 2008 04:25 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanx Osi,
have sent you a reply, [Wink]

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2008 11:15 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

At the suggestion of some Forum members, some time ago I sent a couple of review articles to Derann for publication in FFTC.

They were about two of my standard 8 projectors, - an Elmo F-80, and an Ampro Futurist 8.

Derann sent me a complimentary copy of the issue with the Elmo F-80, but I never saw the Ampro article, so I don't know if they ever published it, although they welcomed both with open arms at the time!

If you feel it's appropriate, you can copy them from the Forum (as I sent them here first) if you're short of a few words here and there.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 20, 2008 12:37 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave,

i'll take a look, [Wink]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2008 01:15 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Please look for e-mails from me with material.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC