8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Does this camera warranty last from 1978??!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this camera warranty last from 1978??!!
Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 20, 2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

Well I was browsing through an old bring and buy sale and noticed a 8mm Canon 310-XL under a load of other rubbish. It was in its original polystyrene box so it was well protected.

I'll have that I said! A bargin it was!

To my surprise, it had an unused Kodachrome K-40 film loaded into the camera [Smile] (I know it probably won't come out but I'll shoot it anyhoo!)

I think the film wasn't used because the battery compartment had some ever-so-slightly corroded batteries inside, so I can't get the camera to tick over.

However! To my further surprise, hidden deep inside of the box was the original Canon warranty card/receipt! It had been purchased in Charleroi, Belgium 24/06/78. Almost 30 years ago to the day.

Well anyway...

Just for peoples interst, (as I don't know how common this all is) here are the documents I found.

I wonder if I can still use the warranty for the corroded battery compartment!! [Big Grin]

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 20, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happens so often. Owners always forget to remove batteries. It's not just the corroded contacts, sometimes the battery acid gets inside the works and completely ruins everything.

Stick with an old wind-up Standard 8. Some of the later cameras used a selenium cell for the meter which was powered by light alone, and, it didn't need batteries.

--------------------
Maurice

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 20, 2008 01:24 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear! Ah well, I guess I'll open it up and see what the true damage is...

There must be a way to save the camera! I'll do a search to see what the best way of cleaning battery acid is.

Dear Canon...

...I purchased one of your camera's in 1978...

hehehe [Big Grin]

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2008 02:04 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, Corroded battery damage is usually EXCLUDED in Guarantee small print.... but try your luck!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 20, 2008 02:54 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

Bicarbonate of Soda [Baking Soda] will neutralise battery acid corrosion.

--------------------
Maurice

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2008 01:44 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bicarbonate of Soda [Baking Soda] will neutralise battery acid corrosion.
This is true.

Make a paste of baking powder and water and use a q-tip to clean the residue off. does wonders.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 21, 2008 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, never thought of that myself, thanks lads.

I tip enough of similar stuff down to the breadbasket though.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC