8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Big Reel cancelled

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Reel cancelled
Stephen Kent Jusick
Junior

- posted September 20, 2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Stephen Kent Jusick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a letter (dated September 17, 2008) that "Big Reel is no longer being published" but no explanation about why. The letter is signed by Paul C. David (no title given). I guess it's obvious from recent issues that the ads have been drying up, and the frequency changed to bi-monthly. Seems the publication was sold a number of times. I forget who was publishing it when I started reading it, but Krause Publications had it for a while and then it published by the Antique Trader people...

Anyway, just thought I'd let people know.

|  IP: Logged

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2008 01:02 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what does that mean for current subscribers and why have I not received such a letter?
Hopefully a refund is on its way...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2008 01:06 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steven, such a shame, but I guess you telling us on the web is a pointer as to why it closed down.

I once subscribed for several years back in the 80's and it was jam packed with film and great stories too. All that film is still out there somewhere.

I recall buying 16mm prints from Ray Courts and then attending one of his conventions in North Hollywood at the Beverly Garland Hotel, what great evenst they were, stars everywhere and too keen to sign and talk.

David

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I let my subscription run out a couple years ago. It just seemed pointless with Ebay and other online ordering options. Honestly, I was surprised to hear that it lasted this long...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 23, 2008 06:41 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was in the wind for a while - I started reeciving BR back about '82, finally stopped about four years or so ago, as mostly it was getting to be DVD, VHS, posters and little film, much like whay Movie Collectors World was doing - I have happy memories of meeting and working with alot of friends, many are still around today dealing and collecting. Maybe any existing subscriptions will automatically go to Classic Images. You can always pick up a copy of that at CINEFEST - Onwe thing, the demise of BIG REEL weakens the old regime, as we now have one less publication dedicated to motion pictures as such, thankfully, there is still Steve Osborne's great REEL-IMAGE for all the latest - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC