8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST180

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST180
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 22, 2008 12:27 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am having a lot of fun with this little projector today, up to making the new belts for it, it never had a lot of use. I have been running one film after another through it, some I have not watched in years one old Walton "Oh Mr Porter" really funny, well this little projector is just great, easy to thread and runs like a swiss watch, only used it with the 1.3 lens held focus rock steady, even the focus knob smooth and very firm to use this is one projector I am going to hang onto.
 -
running at full steam [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2008 08:21 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across one of these models at the Cinefest convention in Syracuse, New York..some years ago. It had been rebelted , restored by an expert...and it still has the steadiest picture of just about all my machines...and somehow the brightness is up there with the st1200's with higher wattage bulbs.
I don't use it much, though, due to small reel capacity, but they are nice machines....seem to be an updated st600 basically.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the similar ST600 and after having a sound problem fixed (with the help of fellow board members) it's my new favourite projector!
Cheers
Terry

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 22, 2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did try a comparision on screen light wise between the ST180 with its EFP 100 watt and the GS1200 200 watt EJL "side by side" long ago and was surprised that the 100 watt looked brighter. I am not a fan of those EJL lamps and with a projector like the GS which is capable of brighter things, that even with a two bladed shutter and a good lens the GS1200 is let down very badly by those lamps.
 -
I ran some Scope film through the ST180 today and it looked good, once again even focus throughout the Scope bracket is one I made years ago for the GS1200 and attached by the one threaded screw hole the same as you find on the GS1200, to stop the bracket swinging down there is a small stop screw its simple enough but it took me a long time to make it and is in alignment to the projector zoom lens the anamorphic is a Proscar.

Graham. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 30, 2008 02:56 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

Why don't you use the correct ESC lamps in the GS-1200, surely you'll get a brighter picture?

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 30, 2008 05:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
Unfortunately the ESC lamp is not available out here in NZ nobody stocks it. I think Derann can supply them, the last price I have is about 27 pound not including postage which would make it roughly $70-80 NZ dollars all up. Even when those lamps were available people were critical of the ESC for the cost and short life.

Do most GS1200 owners in the UK and elsewhere use the ESC compared with the EJL? it would be interesting to know what others use and why?

Graham.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 30, 2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice and Graham,

Can you tell me what brand available for ESC lamps?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

The ESC is in a blue box marked FUJI LAMP.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 03:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

thanks for the info... I was thinking to find out here, perhaps some NOS will be around.

So ESC is ONLY available from Fuji (not even GE, Phillips or Osram)?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only ESCs I've seen over here were made by GE, including one NOS bulb I luckily stumbled across recently.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 02, 2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just evaluating a sample of this Fuji lamp. BTW this lamp is made by Fuji Electric Lamp Industrial Co Ltd and as far as I know they are nothing to do with Fuji Film.

I have an ESC and EJL made by Fuji Electric to test and will keep all informed of the results.

Tests so far look good. I just kept forgetting to bring my Lux Meter home from work but I did remember today so it's on with the tests.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 01:00 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grahm, try Kay the lightbulb lady at www.sunlanlighting.com 3901 N. Mississippi Portland, OR. kay at lightlady dot com

She has about every conceivable bulb on the face of the earth. Her website only has daylight gear. Having been in the actual store and looked through her projector bulb bins, I think there's a good possiblilty she has the ESC bulb. If not I'm certain she can get them. Especially if you give her the part numbers etc. She called on a some Xenophot bulbs for me and said she would have no problem getting any type or amount. She's very helpful and friendly. She will ship worldwhile. (See my post in this forum on the subject: High Powered ST-1200)You're ST-180 will great w/ the Xenophot if you don't already use it.

I'm sure it will cost you far less than buying from the UK as the US economy is poop just now and the dollar is quite weak. USPS worldwide shipping is quick reliable and cheap. 1 U.S. dollar = 1.51584053 New Zealand dollars 10/4/08 Probably cost you about $50-70 NZD including shiping.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James
Thanks for the information regarding the ESC lamps, at present I have converted one of my two GS1200 projectors to take a Osram Xenophot ELC 250 watt using an external power supply I was lucky enough to get a box of those lamps from the Osram NZ dealer the one we get the Xenon lamps through at work, he did a special deal importing them for me but I had to buy in bulk a box of 20 the cost for each was only $14 which is a really good deal. My other GS1200 still uses the EJL 200 watt which I may soon modify as well. There is no doubt that the Xenophot lamp for any model of projector is much better with 15-20% more light plus a much whiter light than most other lamps.

James I will certainly pass on to other projector users the web site you mentioned so once again thanks for your help.

Graham. [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 11:03 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I got after googling for ESC bulb:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/esc~ansi.html

Not cheap for an ESC = $144 but price will get down to $63s if buying set of 3.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2009 07:04 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just posted on another old post on this subject so I'll put it here for easy finding.... Steve at the Reel Image has the ESC's and any other imaginable bulb you'd need. thereelimage_043 at yahoo dot com.

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC