8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ET Full Feature Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ET Full Feature Anyone?
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 07:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so we are doing a thread on Close Encounters and the number of copies. How about ET?

I have a copy and its superb. Its obviously from a 35mm release print and has some marks at the reel changes like Close Encounters has but the quality is on a Par with Close Encounters. Mine is on LPP stock too [Smile]

How many other copies out there in collector land?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 09:25 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I've had a couple of very poor quality "E.T.'s" through my hands in the past (Italian prints I think), but never of the quality you're suggesting, I wonder where it orignated.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 09:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

Interestingly, Kevin's excellent print of ET and my excellent print of "Close Encounters (1977 version), both came one Fred Wilders, the fellow who sends the "irritating e-mails" of which we had a rousing little series of posts in the recent past.

That fellow seemed to have an inroad on some rare prints. I lost my e-mail that he sent. Hey Kevin, perhaps you can send him an e-mail and we can find out where those beautiful prints came from?

Perhaps Fred was one of those mysterious men who originated these prints in the first place? Hmmm.

Kevin, is your print letterboxed, or a full flat image?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 06:16 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to check Osi but I think its Flat. Fred told me that is was a German print and that would stack up with the quality.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 11:46 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, is your print letterbox or full frame. I believe it was actually shot hard matted 1:85. Chip mentioned he has a print that was OK quality from 16mm.

Chip-How do you know it came from 16mm?

How many German prints were struck if anyone knows?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2008 03:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did hear that ET prints of German origin were in the offing some years back but we never saw one for review purposes.

I saw one of the Italian prints and it was awful.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 28, 2008 08:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, I don't have a print of ET, I was asking Kevin about his.

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 29, 2008 12:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Super 8 print of ET that was letterboxed and terrible quality. I've no idea where it originated from.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2008 03:13 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the Italian one Brad.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 30, 2008 03:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately mine doesnt have its original leaders so I cant give any info from looking at them. It's on LPP stock and is a Flat print.

Kev.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 30, 2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin ...

Is that ET of your, while a flat print, letterboxed? I remember seeing ET as a kid, (well, young adult) and it wasn't a scope print, but it was letterboxed, and this wasn't a small theater running 16MM prints, so that's why I ask.

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 02, 2008 04:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
E.T. is a 1.85 movie, so there would have never been any scope prints made in any film gauge.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 08:11 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 70mm prints of ET were screened with black side bands (the opposite to letterboxed) as this is how they did wide screen 70mm. The black sides were there as regular 70mm was 2.2:1 aspect ratio.

At the Forum here in Melbbourne, we moved the side masking in to cover the plack sections, but perhaps this was not possible in all theatres. Could this have been what you remember Osi?

David

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 09:13 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my copy from Brad. He does not know where it came from, but where it went. Quality is fair, but I still like it. One less DVD I have to buy now. :-)

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a letterbox print back in the mid 80's. But it had problems. It would jump once in awhile, not my projector, and had eye drops here and there, which I know now were applicate splashes.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 02, 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like you got the winner, Kevin, (and to think that I missed it by a day ... that's no lie).

I wonder how many printings there were, how many copies of this particular German release of it?

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller writes above...

"E.T. is a 1.85 movie, so there would have never been any scope prints made in any film gauge."

Brad THANK YOU for putting it down like it.

Can we now admit there is no such thing as ADAPTED SCOPE.

Either it is flat: 1:33 to 1:85

Or it is scope: 2:35 to 2:66

With all due respect, I've never understood the term adapted scope. Unless of course you mean letterboxed, which falls into the flat category.....

~CG~

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 12:24 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple matter of info:
The opposite of letterboxed is pillarboxed.
All older films that have been transfered to HD blue ray or Digibeta for HD projection are pillarboxed. Saw a pretty good looking Digibeta HD projection of Casablanca at the Living Room Theathres here in Portland.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC