8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Speakers for 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speakers for 8mm
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 04, 2008 01:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can make out S8 projectors in general do not come with an accompanying speaker, unlike 16mm machines. Is this correct?
Are there any S8 projectors that come with a speaker?
What do you people use for your shows?

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 01:48 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
As you know, I do a number of shows a year for a few different societies. The size of the venues determine how any speakers I use and with what amplification.
I have 4 Elmo speakers and 2 Sony ones at my disposal and I have used that combination with a Sony amp in a very large social club. For the smaller venues two of the larger Elmo speakers are used, sometimes with the Sony and other times with the Craven amp designed for use with 8mm projectors by the late Harry Garlick
Just to drift a little off-topic ..
A circuit diagram for a neat device was posted on this forum a few years ago. It enabled the use of an external amp to be plugged into the speaker socket of the Elf 16mm m/c's again for use in larger venues. We made the little unit and it works very well.
There were a few 8mm projectors with external speakers. Going from memory (a dangerous thing these days [Wink] ) I think Silma and Braun had some projectors with speakers in a detachable case. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong [Smile]
see you on the 18th,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For both Super8/16 I use an external, self-powered Samson 80A Resolv speaker with treble adjustment on the back.

On the Elmo 1200, I take 'line out' to the speaker and let it do the amping; on the 16-mils, I come out of the 'speaker out' with the internal volume set fairly low, and, again, let the speaker handle the real amplification.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used my old ACOUSTIC brand speaker cabinet (2X15" speakers), from when I played bass guitar in local bands. I never had a stereo projector, so it works well with the ELMOs & CHINON. It easily connects from the external speaker outputs on all three machines. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 12:17 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I allways run a cable from the back of the room to my Yamaha reciever. It has a setting for mono movies that works great. Plus there are several other settings and enhancements that make S8 sound great! Surround sound super 8!

I recently purcahsed a good FM RF modulator of the type you use to play your MP3 player in car over your radio. Since this Phillips unit is powered by a USB type jack at 5 volts, any standart USB port or cell/mp3 charger that's 5 volts will power it. So rather than running the cable accross the room which is a bit of a pain and unsightly, and I've broken a few tripping on them, I'll be transmitting the S8 sound wirelessly over the FM to my Receiver. This will work pretty much with any type of wirelesss transmitter/reciever set up, or wireless speakers.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

The Braun Visacustic Super 8 projector comes with a separate speaker, it has no internal speaker.

It is used in three ways. The projector clips to the speaker and sits on top. The speaker has a small screen which can be used for editing with a throw of a couple of feet. Or, the attached lead can be run out for placing by the screen.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 02:45 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a particular reason why 8mm projectors, for the most part, do not come with separate speakers?

-Mike

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 02:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To keep down cost?

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 03:17 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean because they were meant for the home market, whereas 16mm projectors were more for professional use?

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 04:06 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that an equally compelling reason why is simply due to the lower light output of most 8mm projectors. As a result in order to have an adequately bright image the projector has to be nearer the screen, therefore the projector is nearer the audience, and so the internal speaker is easier to hear.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 05, 2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo produced some extension speakers for use with their equipment and they sound great. I have heard both the ES500 and own the ES1000. They were reputedly designed to get the best from Mag sound etc and I have to say the ES1000's do a really smashing job of making the GS1200 sound superb on both Mag and Optical tracks. They are supplied as a pair which close up to form one carry case.

They do crop up from time to time on ebay and dealers lists and I can really recommend them.
The ES500 are 5" fullrange, the ES800 are 8" with small tweeters and the the ES1000 likewise are 10" with tweeters. All were sold as pairs with Stereo sound in mind. The ES1000 can be plugged together and used on mono machines as the units are 16 ohm which presents the amp with 8 ohm in a mono setup. Elmo supplied a din socket in the rear of one speaker for this type of use. Dont know if they did that with the other models.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 07:17 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
I have the ES500 and ES800 sets. The 800 did have the din socket you refer to but we removed it to suit our own particular set up. The 500 didn't have the socket.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2008 06:22 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
I have a pair of Elmo ES500 speakers for sale,I would offer to you before putting them on Ebay,regards,Peter.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC