8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ESC Lamp for GS1200 Review (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ESC Lamp for GS1200 Review
Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the notation. While we have tested an Osram 250 watt bulb in the GS in the past, we were not impressed with the light output and have stuck to 200 watt bulbs.

But you are right, a numeric slip as we have only been using EJL bulbs on our GS machines for some time.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 15, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else obtained and tried one of these Fuji lamps in their GS1200?

Let us know what you found compared to the EJL's.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev
Well, I was due to try one on a 7ft screen last Monday in a presentation to a History Society. However, minutes before the start the GS decided to play up again so I had to revert to The 1200HD.
Happily, we managed to repair the GS today and I am making a presentation to retired staff from the GWR next Wednesday afternoon in a large social club.That should be a good test, again using the 7ft screen. The GS has a 3 blade shutter so I'm going to need the extra lumens.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 15, 2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, it's great to hear members using their machines to give shows still. I used to give shows at kids parties etc back in the 80's and 90's but most shows these days are for the family here at home.

Glad your GS is up and running again. Nothing serious I hope? and good luck with the forthcoming show.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,
Next Wednesday's show will be the fourth since the last BFCC. People are amazed to see projected film and there is always plenty of interest after the presentations end.

We had one annoying and two serious problems with the GS.
The take- up motor was producing a lot of electrical interference noise through the speakers but it was running ok with no loss of torque. The motor tested ok and after tracing the leads we found a resistor had gone to ground.

The other major problem was the GS deciding to go at 6fps only in FWD or REV. This turned out to be dirty contacts where the control keys assembly locates with its chassis socket.
The annoying problem was sprocket noise on the top sprocket shoe.
We removed and cleaned the complete unit, finding one of the rollers wasn't turning. It's much quieter now and everything is working ok.....until the next time [Roll Eyes]
Mal

--------------------

John Edwards
Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for John Edwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello kevin. have been reading your up date for ESC lamp for GS1200 what reading did you get with lux meter? the reason i am asking is the readings i get with my schneider 1.1 fitted to beaulieu twintrack is 224 low light setting and 264 high light setting i my projector does have a wider aperture than the elmo GS1200 so 150w lamp fitted can give quite a bright light on 1 metre base screen at distance of 3 metres there has in the passed been talk of both being equal dont get me wrong the elmo is a class projector when running well all machines have their good and bad points its all down to personal choice so no discussion on which one is better than the other.John(ED) [Smile]

--------------------
theatre is live film is art television is furniture.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ESC lamp had a good try-out today. I was making a presentation to retired GWR staff members in a large social club screening 8mm railway films. The show started at 2.15pm on a bright sunny afternoon.

The windows had unlined curtains so blackout was less than ideal but the 3-bladed GS fitted with a new lamp did a great job filling the 7ft wide 4x3 screen. Even the evening/night scenes were more than acceptable, daytime scenes were excellent. As the credits rolled on the last film I switched to the low setting and there was still plenty of light hitting the screen.
So thumbs up from me for the Fuji lamp.
Mal

--------------------

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2009 05:22 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Just resurrecting this old thread with a bit of news:

I'm pleased to say that I have just received a large consignment of these Fuji ESC lamps, and are able to offer them for a considerably reduced price, just £11.75 each, or as little as £9.99 if you buy a mix of any 5 lamps from my website.

www.bluecinetech.co.uk/cine-projector-lamps.php

Shipping starts at £1.50 within the UK, £1.75 within Europe, and only £2.25 for the rest of the world...

You can pay with your Credit Card or using your PayPal account.

I believe this to be the best deal that anyone is offering on these ESC lamps worldwide!

I've also got large quantities of Super and Standard 8 leader, all Kodak, but no prices up on the site as yet.

***End of shameless plug***

Thanks,

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Fuji lamps still available? Does anyone know if they're available in the US?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 23, 2009 04:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, It is possible for some machines to have nearly the equivalent light output to the GS1200. The Beaulieu you have is probably running with the two blade shutter but more importantly the Beaulieu like the Noris machines has a very fast claw pull down time which means that the shutter open segments can be wider than on machines such as the GS. This will obviously give more light on the screen.
The down side of this arrangement is that its not uncommon on some machines to find that as they get older the picture gets a little more unsteady due to the extra wear from the very fast movement of the claw. This is certainly the case in Noris machines I have seen but not sure about Beaulieu.

I dont have the figures now so cant let you have a direct comparison but certainly back in the days of the Movie Maker magazine who tested virtualy all machines they did acknowledge the GS as having the brightest light output and it became the benchmark that all others were jusdged against.

Kev.

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 10:40 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I have received my shipment of the ESC's. Once my GS arrives, I will then give one a try. I'm definitely looking forward to a brighter, sharper (thanks to the 1.0) picture than what I have from the ST (1.3).

I will report back here my findings.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg!
you will be amazing about how brigth the picture looks with this esc lamps,you´ll not be desappointed in any way! i use the esc on my gs to show indiana jones in a 5 meter scope screen and was plenty of ligth!!
enjoy!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC