8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help with Flip the Frog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Flip the Frog
Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2008 07:45 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, just finished putting the final reel of film together for the kids Halloween show. Films on the reel are great UB Iwerks classic vintage cartoons.
1, The Skeleton dance
2, Spooks "flip the frog"
3, The Cuckoo Murder Case "flip the frog

I now find myself hooked on the Flip the Frog cartoons and have spent some time on YouTube viewing them. What I would like to know is, what titles were on Super 8. I believe Blackhawk printed most of them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2008 08:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig ...

I can't verify as to whether all of them were printed by Blackhawk, but quite a few were. Perhaps Doug can give a complete list?

I'm not sure, but our UK buddies can verify which UK companies released thier own prints of Flip cartoons, but from what I have seen, the quality isn't up there with the Blackhawk prints.

I can verify that they released the very first one "Fiddlesticks" from 1930, in it's original two strip technicolor, which, for the time, wasn't too bad. Some of the later printings of this title were on L.P.P. Eastman and hold the color very well, as I have a print of that.

Just for the record, I have a print of Fiddlesticks that I'm selling at the moment on ebay, (double auction with a 200ft Star Wars for 9.99), but it's normal Eastman and it does have fade, but for a starter, it's OK. It's especially funny to see Ub Iwerks, the animator and director, obviously doing some copyright infringement on his old boss, Disney, by stealing from Mickey Mouse! Also, Flip, for those first cartoons, had a different design that looked much more like a real frog.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2008 06:56 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one Flip cartoon released by the long-gone Collectors Club.
The B/W film was 'The Music Lesson'
Quality wasn't great but acceptable for a vintage title.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Edouard Dubertret
Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2008 02:50 PM      Profile for Edouard Dubertret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love UB Iwerks cartoons so I try to collect all them on super 8. For Flip the frog, at my knowledge, there is:
THE CUCKOO MURDER CASE
RAGTIME ROMEO
THE NEW CAR
SPOOKS
THE OFFICE BOY
THE NURSE MAID
FUNNY FACE
SODA SQUIRT
TECHNO-CRACKED
BULLONEY
STORMY SEAS
A MUSIC LESSON
I think all are print by blackhawk in B&W.
And:
FIDDLESTICKS
as said OSI in color
As you, I have just "THE CUCKOO MURDER CASE" and not in very good condition (lot of lines...)
But I have most of the "comicolor" made by UB Iwerks and print in super 8.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2008 06:20 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one print of Flip I have is ROOM RUNNERS.
It was a later Blackhawk release and has some funny racy bits involving peeping in on a gal while bathing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC