8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » It's a Wonderful Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's a Wonderful Life
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search before posting but forgive me if I missed an entry

Was this film ever released on S8? I have seen 16mm films listed and many seem to be dupes but I don't remember an 8mm one.

If it was released, what was the quality like?

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 03:19 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
could have sworn I've seen this on Ebay within the last year on Super 8.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 04:04 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,Many distributers put this out,all in fair pic quality,shouls be easy to find.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know for a fact that Niles did an 8-reel print of this, which is curious since the theatrical release was 7 reels. Oh well, keeps the projectionist busy. Anyway, if it's like other Niles prints, a VHS tape would be well ahead of the picture and sound quality.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2008 10:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'tis true!: if it's Niles you may as well go VHS!

The one Niles I have in my collection I always assumed was a faded print, but only later found out was a crappy one from the day it hit the loading dock!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niles could occasionally put out a good print though.

One of the films I'm trying to get a beginning price on (from the owner before I sell it), "Pearl of the South Pacific", has very good color, (for some reasons, the bright daylight scenes have a somewhat bleached color, but the nighttime scenes are stunning), and when I checked the leader, it was surprisingly, a Niles print!

Even the negative they used was literally unspotted!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 11:29 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have quite a few film from Niles.My general opinion is this:
Silent films are mostly execrable and should be avoided at all costs,in addition,all their titles can be found in better quality from other companies. Sound films are at least acceptable and at most, pretty good, as in the Sherlock Holmes series (The Basil Rathbone Universals) where they had a deal with the,then, current rights owners and worked from good originals.They hit their qualitative peak when they struck a deal for the Technicolored Benedict Bogeaus adventures of the fifties and produced first class prints. Unfortunately today,most have gone reddish !

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 20, 2008 11:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

My "Cattle Queen of Montana" is exactly the same way: bleached out daytime exteriors, yet lower light shots often quite nice.

The interesting part is when one of these bleached out shots fades to black, you have this roughly half second interval during the fade where the color becomes beautiful. It would be spectacular if the other 99.96% of the film looked that good!

I won't complain too much: the seller said the color wasn't good and I got it for less than a DVD would have cost me.

This was my first feature length film.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ,at 129 minutes,is complete on 8 x 400 reels and is a reasonably good print.

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 01:32 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my copy around 25yrs ago from derann,the quality quite good for its day,and will consider selling ifa fair price is offered,mounted on 2x1200 and 1x600 spools (8x400)its sat on the shelf now doing nothing.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 09:20 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired a Niles print of this and haven't even had the opportunity to view it. So far, I just unwound some footage on the first reel to see if all the Main titles were intact and the condition of the first several feet. The picture from what I can see appears to be a bit dark. Can I really expect the print to look and sound cruddy? If so, I may only view the first reel and if I'm really disappointed - just stick with my DVD.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

Uncle Ian has a copy for sale on his list.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, couldn't get your e-mail address or send an e-mail. Could you contact me?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC