8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » B&H lamp death--boy, am I clueless

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H lamp death--boy, am I clueless
Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 01:09 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, yes, as stated elsewhere, I settled in recently to view my just-received 400' reel of THE MUMMY'S TOMB and it seemed my projector lamp was dead. I found it surprisingly easy to obtain a new bulb, but it isn't working either. So...

Does this scenario suggest any other minor tweakings I might apply myself?

Where in the world would one go to seek repair on a 30-year-old Bell & Howell Super 8 projector? Or would one?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 03:55 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marshall,
Is that a 100 watt bulb with a ordinary halogen socket (two pins?)

The socket in your projector may be faulty and need replacement. This happens from time to time. Thats no biggie, just go down to Radio Shack and get a new one for a couple of dollars. Should not be to much of a problem to replace the old one.
Hopefully it's that and nothing more.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking that might be it. It seems like there's a little rust there. Thanks again!

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2008 07:15 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, still not having much luck. The socket is indeed two pins and is sealed shut over two wires. The other end of the wires is connected somewhere deep inside the projector. At first I hoped it might be possible to open and remove the socket using a tiny hex screwdriver, but apparently it's held together with a rivet.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 25, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall,
Still no problem. Cut the wires leading to the lamp socket, as close to the socket as possible. Buy a replacement socket from Radio Shack, or even buy a low voltage Trac light and remove the socket from that. Trim the wires, and connect up with a small terminal block, also from Radio Shack, or you can simply crimp the wires. Using a terminal block makes it real easy to replace the lamp socket if you have to do it again in a few years.
Lamp socket failure is common to all 8mm projectors - they all have to be replaced periodically, due to corrosion and loss of contact pressure.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds do-able. Thanks!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 25, 2008 06:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it you have checked any fuses inside the machine first. Sometimes a lamp will fail and take a fuse with it so then the replacement lamp wont work.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2008 12:30 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. How would one check fuses? The socket seems pretty corroded, so it will probably need to be replaced regardless.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC