8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Info requested on rare Canon Cine 8-S

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Info requested on rare Canon Cine 8-S
Steven Michelsen
Junior

- posted November 11, 2008 08:22 AM      Profile for Steven Michelsen   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Michelsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the owner of a "Canon Cine 8-S" camera (since '74). I understand that this camera is the never-marketed precursor to the Canon 8-T , Canon's "first" 8mm camera. I have built a webpage with pictures and a description , and would appreciate any comments or info about the camera beyond what I have there. Thanks!

Steve

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 06:57 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what you mean by "never marketed", but the Cine S was indeed available at the same time the "T" model was. The Cine S did not have a turret nor the focusing finder on the side. Other than that, they are the same cameras according to an original Canon Cine 8 booklet I have. I have never seen a Cine S model, the T model is far more popular and for good reason. Being able to focus through the lens and to quickly change lenses via the turret is a big plus. Great cameras.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Steven Michelsen
Junior

- posted November 12, 2008 03:48 PM      Profile for Steven Michelsen   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Michelsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that booklet you have show the 8-S? Here is the webpage from Canon's "museum" site that substantiates the "never marketed" claim. If there is an ad or anything else to dispute this I would love to know about it.

Steve

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 06:13 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, it would be nice to know exactly what Canon meant by "not marketed". The "S" model was not a precursor to the "T", but was available at the same time I suppose as a cheaper offering for those who could not afford a "T". Bolex did somewhat the same thing with their pocket camera series. The manual I have for the Canon Cine 8 only shows the "T" model, but does elaborate upon the differences such as it's own section on the "S" model viewfinder. Very possible the "S" was not sold in the USA - like I said earlier I have never seen one. In any event, your camera is rare. Good for a collector, but if you are shooting R-8mm film, the "T" model is the way to go.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Steven Michelsen
Junior

- posted November 13, 2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Steven Michelsen   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Michelsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's something. I found the manual at this address and see the page you referred to. I see that p18-19 lays out the viewfinder possibilities for the 8-T and p20-21, that I copied and posted here, lays out the options for the 8-S. The only other mention of the 8-S in the book is on page 5, where it describes the other basic differences. No pictures of it though.

[ November 13, 2008, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Steven Michelsen ]

Mike Nyberg
Junior

- posted November 14, 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Mike Nyberg   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Nyberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, it's my new favourite camera for the moment...I do plan to run some 100D in it as the 13mm f1.8 seems very sharp (when watching TV with it on the couch). The 13mm f1.4 I got was a bit washed out and soft...not sure what to make of that - the lens looks clean enough.

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/super8_44.html

Cheers,
Mike

--------------------
Visit my 8mm website:
http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC