8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 35mm Portable Spectra’s (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm Portable Spectra’s
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 03, 2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, to deal with sound issues, I think Keith Wilton has replaced the original fan by a pair of computer cooling fans. Weren't you with us when we screened that reel of Pearl Harbour at the BFCC last year? It was the "inaugural flight" of his refurbished Spectra. Ask him at the next convention.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2008 03:15 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean, yes that is something that Keith and me spoke about in more detail at the last BFCC. Also gave him a copy of the instructions and maintenance Manuel that he did not have for his Spectra. Yes I think I was at the screening the previous year you spoke about when Keith had just refurbished his Spectra, duck tape and all that.

Thou I think I will keep the original cooling fans as having a monitor speaker under the projector really does drown the sound out. I do like to keep things original if I can. Do remember at one convention you went to when you picked up some bargain long playing 35mm reels. I was impressed that you were prepared to take this all the way back to Paris with you. Well that’s pure dedication for you!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 04, 2008 03:21 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

That really is an excellent couple of projectors there. I am indeed envious. I have not been involved with 35mm for almost 25yrs now, but, seeing your setup there gives me some hope of getting back in there in the future.

Best,

-Mike

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2008 06:49 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Compared to the portable Philips FP3 that I also have at the moment. The Spectra’s are the next best thing to have for a professional portable machine.

Not be to envious as to be honest I am sure you’ll get back into 35mm sooner then you think. There are a lot of cinemas now converting to digital. So just ask around your local cinemas to see if they have any.

The only problem I do have these days is finding recent releases, as they are non-existent in the UK. The only place you can get hold of recent releases apart from (Universal and Disney releases which are a no no) is the US or OZ.

Best.

Robert.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 04, 2008 06:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,

What is the situation regarding older or "classic" titles from the 30s, 40s, 50s in 35mm?

It seems to me that these are more readily available in 16mm. Is that correct to say, or are there 35mm prints easily found?

-Mike

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

I do have a varied collection on 35mm i suppose half is old features and the other being more recent. I think with older classics they are out there. Its just a question of being there at the right time at the right place sort of thing to snap them up.

A couple of years ago i met a guy who was selling off all his films which was partly 35mm features. He was a big DR Who fan, From that sale i got a varied amount of old material. Thunderbirds are go feature, some TV episodes of the Avengers. So they are out there it's just a question of looking in the right places.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to run a ERNEMANN II 35mm projector at home in the garage, it was huge front shutter beast! I had about 40 features as well as boxes of trailers ( I worked as a projectionist for a while at a 2nd run theatre and I was paid with films instead of $ [Big Grin] )
When we moved house it all had to go [Frown]
So some Spectras are now being orgainised though the Aussie agent and as part of the deal I am going to become the NZ agent for them so they are giving me a good deal on the projectors.
The portability is the selling point for me as well as their handsome design and size.
Robert if you ever come across a 35mm print of RAISE THE TITANIC I will buy it! it is the 35mm film I have been after for a long time! [Big Grin]
Done a changeover yet?? [Wink]
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2009 02:23 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,

I´m pretty sure I´m putting this in the wrong place, but at least this is a thread on 35mm, so here goes; I recently stumbled upon a lens for a 35mm projector, it has a pretty short focal length & should mean a reasonably big image at a short throw.

It´s a ZEISS IKON ALINAR II 1:2 (kind of fast too) 70mm

Anyone interested in this lens, e-mail me at:

la55e dot p at telia dot com

Cheers
Lars

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2011 04:55 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have deceided to part with my 2 spectra's as i don't have the time to run these anymore. I will be selling this as a complete set which includes 9 xenon bulbs new parts, speaker amplifier reels, etc. If interested drop me a line.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC