8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How many 200 reelers of Sinbad were ever released?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many 200 reelers of Sinbad were ever released?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 05, 2008 01:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Can you tell me how many Sinbad series were ever released in 200"?

I knew there were "7th Voyage", "Golden Voyage", "Eye of tiger" but how did Columbia divide them into reels? 200 or 400 footers?

And can you tell me how is the right sequence from the beginning into the end?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2008 02:12 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sort of got mentioned in the SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER thread in the Reviews Forum. I believe 7TH VOYAGE and GOLDEN VOYAGE each got issued as 4x200' and EYE OF THE TIGER got released as a 400'. I'm sure someone will chime in with more details.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2008 02:13 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

the sinbad (in german sindbad) films are released in many versions. I know about the following:

Sindbads gefährliche Abenteuer (= Golden Voyage) 120m/400ft (Piccolo)

Sindbads gefährliche Abenteuer (= Golden Voyage) 70m/2400ft (Piccolo, this was an abriged version of the 400fter with voice over)

Sindbad und das Auge des Tigers (= Eye of tiger) 2 x 120m/400ft
(Piccolo)

Eye of tiger 1 x 400 ft Columbia

7th voyage of sinbad 4 x 200 ft/60m colour sound/silent

7th voyage of sinbad feature (5 x 400 ft).

Hope this helps. [Smile]

Ralf

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 05, 2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Columbia released both "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" & "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" in 4 x 200' editions. Actually, "Golden" was put out in 8 x 200'! The film was originally released in these four parts:

Sinbad Duels the Idol of Many arms
Sinbad Challenges the Monster
Sinbad and the Magic Sword
Sinbad and the Oracle.

To anyone who had seen the feature, the titles made it appear that the film was edited in some bizarre fashion. Sure enough, Columbia recalled the digests, re-edited, and then re-released them. The same boxes were used, with new white labels placed over the old titles. The 4 parts of the final version are:

Sinbad's Mystical Adventure
Sinbad and the Mysterious Amulet
Sinbad Battles Koura's Evil Magic
Sinbad's Triumph

I believe Forum member Brian Hendel edited scenes from all eight parts together.

-

"The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" was released as such:

The Cyclops
Strange Voyage
Evil Magician
Dragon's Lair

-

"Jason and the Argonauts" was also put out in four parts:

Battle with Talos
Triton-Lord of the Deep
Hydra of Hades
The Golden Fleece

It was such a thrill as a kid to have long versions of these films for home viewing. Columbia did a great job of editing the silent versions of "7th Voyage" & "Jason" (I don't have all of "Golden" to judge). The sound version of "Jason" has some awkward audio edits, but is still quite good.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC