8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm multiple projection technical question 2:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm multiple projection technical question 2:
Elizabeth McAlpine
Junior

- posted December 15, 2008 08:08 AM      Profile for Elizabeth McAlpine   Email Elizabeth McAlpine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8mm multiple projection technical question 2:
Hi

I have a second question regarding multiple super 8 projections – this work is using 6 super 8 projectors and running the same piece of super 8 film through all of the projectors creating a loop – I have tried this using the sankyo dulux 1000 projectors but they all seem to run at slightly different rates which means that the tension in the loop goes and the film just breaks – I was wondering if anyone knows of a super 8 projector that might be more accurate so that I can get all the projectors running at the same speed

Any suggestions or thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated

Best wishes

Elizabeth

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 15, 2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have to arrange a system used in multiplex 35mm cinemas where the same film copy is often shown in two screens, or more, at the same time (actually probably a minute or so between them.)

Mounted on the wall between the projectors are pulleys which have an up and down space to travel, probably around 3 feet or so. The pulleys are counterbalanced to usually stay in mid-position but differing tension between the two (or more) projectors are taken up by the counter weights to let the pulleys go up or down accordingly, thus maintaining the tension.

--------------------
Maurice

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2008 10:22 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumig projectors have the clutch drive where some speed tweeking is possible. Wasn't there also a super 8 Cinerama experiment once where 3 projectors were linked by a bicycle chain around the inching knobs ( that had been changed for gears.)?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2009 01:02 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think any given Elmo sound projector would probably run pretty steadily at the same speeds. Especially the ST1200 seriers w/ AC motors. Just be sure the shutters are all the same as some have rubber on them some don't and the one's that have the rubber need it removed. Also any of the ST-180/600's series will work really well since you can open the units and adjust the small speed pot on the circuit bord. Many of the ST series have sync capabilites using an external device and it may be possible lock them all together. In any case any speed adjustable projectors will be easier to deal with for obvious reasons. I also agree that a large loop/ tensioning system is needed to keep the film stable.
Cheers,
James

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC