8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » An ebay item of interest?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An ebay item of interest?
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 29, 2008 05:55 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this on ebay and I would suggest this should work on the ST600/180 as well.
I wonder what this kit consists of?

Variable speed conversion kit

If anyone does or has bought one it would of interest to know what it consists of.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 29, 2008 11:10 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody on the forum mentioned a conversion of this kind a short while ago. This wouldn't fix the hotspot issue though, unless you replace the original lamp by a LED fixture (also sold on Ebay these days).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2008 09:41 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev

The contents of this kit can be found on his website along with prices.

Parts & Price List

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

You need a Dual Gang Pot 50k ohms, 4 conductor stranded wire,
soldering gun and solder plus the old trusted multimeter and about an hour or so of your time.

Jon

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2008 04:18 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mystery solved! It's a COMPUTER company, so rip-offs are OK!!!

The kit price is a rip-off, the "presolder" extra is a rip-off,
only the "do the job" is reasonable, if you can afford the two way shipping and taxes.

The splurge tells you there is no "cutting in" to the motor circuit. In other words, just wire the new control in parallel with the existing speed presets, and adjust the presets as required to achieve the speed range.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 30, 2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
So it looks like he's wiring the pots in series with the existing two on the board.
There's an easier way of doing that job and it would only involve one single pot and two wires!
On the 180/600 board the connections are on the board for the extra pot as its the same board as used in the GS800 which has the variable speed control.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2008 05:54 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

I just send you an email with info, check it out.

Jon

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2009 08:15 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, I have an ST-180E that I've got the back off of. For speed adjustment I've just been using the pots on the board. My 18/24 switch is bad and must be replaced. Can I put a varible speed pot in place of the 18/24 switch? Also since this is the same identical unit AFAICT to the TRV units, (has a plastic slug where the speed control goes on TRV's), couldn't I just put in the speed controll that would go there? If so what are the correct parts. [One other wild idea is that it seems that the unit will run VERY fast. Near 30fps. Is this possible? If it can run that fast I could do a progressive scan transfer and correct it in post.]
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC