8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » B&H Super 8 camera with time lapse feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H Super 8 camera with time lapse feature
Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do a lot of single frame "claymation" and similar photography with my super 8 camera. But I remember seeing a Bell & Howell camera back in the early 80s that had a time lapse setting.
Does anyone have any info (model number?) on this camera or know if there was more than one model?
I don't remember the price, but I'm sure all the electronic controls it put made it out of my price range at the time.
Thanks for any help you can render.

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2009 10:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

I wish that I could help you with the
Bell & Howell model, but I own
the Minolta XL601. A very nice Super 8 camera and
it's equipped with an intervolometer that permits
the user to control the shutter at one or any variable
time lapse frame rate duration.
The camera also had a separate port to attach
a specialized remote to manually snap individual frames.

As in the B&H, Nikon also had a model that exposed film in the same fashion.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 06, 2009 12:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

This site lists a number of B&H cameras, with some of the links going into greater detail than others. The link for the Bell and Howell T 50XL says it has an interval timer.
I have a Bauer S 715XL that does great time lapse work.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 01:50 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys both sound like great cameras. My Canon SV 518 has a port to manually shoot individual frames, but I can't do time lapse. I could probably rig up something to shoot a frame at regular intervals, but it would only work under controlled lighting or a constant light source.
I assume the time-lapse features use auto exposure. Much of the footage I want to shoot will be outdoors, so I'll need auto exposure to adjust for clouds & sun and different times of day.
Thanks for your tip, Doug. I'll check it out.

-Alan

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC