8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Sound projectors 600ft Spool Capacity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Sound projectors 600ft Spool Capacity
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2009 04:27 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if some Eumig Sound projector models actually scratch prints over a period of time. Are some models worse then others or are they more reliable like Elmo’s in keeping your prints scratch free???

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 28, 2009 09:12 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,
I have never had a single scratch from my Eumig projectors, including the 800 and the 900 series. The 800 series are extremely kind and gentle on film, and so are the 930 and up series. I do not like the coaxial reel Eumigs, series 900 thru 929, as they do not have a feed sprocket and therefore must be harder on the film.
On the other hand I have had many scratches attributed to my Elmo GS1200'S. There are well known scratching locations in these machines, and I find that they require constant cleaning and maintainance to keep the problem under control.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2009 10:36 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To echo Paul's comments, Eumig's are scratch free machines. I know some have reported scratching on the 800 series with their smaller frame size, but I've never ran into that issue. I've literally ran some Eumig's to the ground without any scratching whatsoever. Aside from cleaning, there's virtually no film path maintenance required.

Whenever I run my GS1200's, I always run a test strip of film before every single showing. It's a great machine, but certain parts need regular replacement and/or modifications to prevent scratching. Why oh why didn't Elmo give the GS1200 the same inlet chute as the ST1200, or even the GS800?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 28, 2009 11:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's some weird Balance of Nature going on between Elmos and Eumigs. My Eumig machine is much harder to clean, but stays cleaner. My Elmo is incredibly easy to clean, but accumulates much more ....foreign debris. The worst episode of scratching I ever had is because some speck lodged in my Elmo near the heads. (One entire 600 footer...)

I actually avoided using my Eumig for a while because I was afraid of what might be lurking inside that enclosed sound head. When I finally got around to taking it apart and cleaning it I was shocked how clean it was.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2009 02:18 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me for asking, seeing as a forum search would turn up quite a bit on GX-1200 scratches, but would someone be willing to make a definite "GS-1200 Scratch Prevention for Dummies" thread? Putting it all in one clearly-explained spot would no doubt serve quite a few people well.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 29, 2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,
In the latest 'Armchair Odeons 2' DVD (available in NTSC from Keith Wilton in the UK), Dave Locke gives an excellent talk about the GS1200 scratch issue, showing causes and fixes.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, That is on Armchair Odeons Reel One (disc 2 bonus items). Excellent tips.

This Elmo/Eumig debate has got me thinking. The GS1200 still seems to be the machine of choice for the big shows (used everywhere at BFCC, Blackpool, Tadley etc.). But I wonder if Eumig had produced a 940 like machine with 200W bulb, 1200ft reels and sync pulse whether the GS1200 would still be king.

Yes the GS1200 does have a scratch problem, mine I had to get a small grinder and a flat screwdiver to modify the exit of the top green loop former. Dosent scratch now but requires constant maintenance and checking.

Graham S

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's some weird Balance of Nature going on between Elmos and Eumigs. My Eumig machine is much harder to clean, but stays cleaner. My Elmo is incredibly easy to clean, but accumulates much more ....foreign debris.
I've noticed that, too, with my ELMO ST-1200HD and Eumig 810D.
After a 200 foot short subject on the ELMO, I have to clean out much gook from the gate and green film guide! Never have this issue on the Eumig.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 29, 2009 06:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't make sense either:

The Elmo has a blower on the motor shaft so it's only pulling air when the film tranport is running. The Eumig has seperate electric fan so it's pulling air every minute that it's plugged in.

Just as a matter of pulling in dust from the outside with the cooling air the Eumig should be much dirtier!

-I guess everything else isn't being equal in this case.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC