8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Rare" titles in your collection? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: "Rare" titles in your collection?
Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 05:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my collection, here are some rares titels:

- AIRPORT (of course! )full feature in 35mm, IB tech!
- Making of "Airport", 16mm, very rare and not include in the DVD.

Regards,

JC.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 08:06 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
welcome bill we have lots of fun on here andyou can get lots of info from anyone of our friendly members, welcome [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 08:18 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,
thanks for the information regarding "Horror Express". I bought my print from a German collector but there was no information as to the distributor. It isn't in a Red Fox box but is housed in those crystal cases that swing open with original artwork on 4X600ft reels. I have never seen these type of cases in this size before and here in the UK I found it a quite difficult title to find on Super 8.

Paul.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Jean-Marc

I used to own a copy of the Monty Python spam episode which was hilarious,I bought it new from Les Sydal of Regent films Blackpool in the late 70's,it originally came on 2 x 400ft spools in a plain cardboard box,I think it was released by Canterbury films in the USA?

I wish I had held onto it as I never came across a copy again,I think I traded it in to Perry's Movies Wimbledon.

Perhaps you have my copy??

Cheers MW

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I have your Monty Python episode! Mine is a black and white conversion with a military film service logo on it, which leads me to believe it was shown on ships at sea and other bases and places with no telly. It's on one 600' reel.

The "I Love Lucy" episode I mentioned in an earlier post is another rarity. I also have a "Horror Express." I can't tell who the original manufacturer is, but it's not Niles, that's for darn sure. The colors are still very good and the sound is clear. Interestingly, it's on four 400' reels (as opposed to the 4x600 mentioned by others here) but it doesn't feel incomplete. The story is comprehensible and the violence is intact.

Another interesting piece of film I have is a "Poltergeist" pre-release teaser trailer featuring rather dubious interviews with "paranormal experts." At that time the studio was going more for hard-hitting horror and planned to release it with an "R" rating as indicated by the MPAA ratings card at the beginning of the trailer. There's only one scene from the film included: a quick snippet of the kids struggling against the black hole in the closet. The rest is stills.

Also have the Walton 4x400 "Witchfinder General." Colors have held up fairly well and the story doesn't suffer from the sight abridgment.

Finally, I have a Niles print of Pete Walker's "Schizo," which is a little brown but not too bad. I lived in the same town as Niles Film Products (South Bend, Indiana) and used to go to their storefront to buy/trade films. "Schizo" was one of the first they offered in Super 8mm and Betamax tape! I don't ever see it on any used lists, so I don't know how many film versions made it out there. It's an endearingly ramshackle 1976 slasher with poor Lynne Frederick providing the cheesecake. And it's so-o-o-o English. You just want to bring out the Guinness and chip butties while watching it!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 07, 2009 10:30 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rarities in Super 8mm are feature prints of "Close Encounters", "Bride of Frankenstein" and the 1931 "Dracula". There's also that homemade (not my home) print of "Dracula A.D. 1972".

I've been told there aren't too many Super 8mm copies of an intermission reel I have that features dancing concession foods along with a countdown ("The show will start in 10 minutes").

Bill, welcome to the Forum!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 07, 2009 10:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby,
let's all go to the lobby to get ourselves a treat! [Big Grin]

Mark, sorry, I can't remember if it was from Perry's or Foster Films.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, we both have the Python and "At the Devil's Ball"! "Devil's Ball" is a recut of Starewich's "The Mascot," which is a children's film. It was recut to be a propaganda piece! When you see "The Mascot" you understand what the dog has to do with everything but it dilutes the weirdness of the recut. You can see it on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-mkGqcvKPM

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 01:15 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no rare features here, but maybe these couple of short reels fit in:

"High on the Range" (Super-8.) one episode of a 1920es serial starring famed stuntman Yakima Canutt as a cowboy trying to battle (of all things) pot smoking on a ranch....quite the subject for a 20es Western serial. Terrible transfer, but definitely one of a kind.

Also in Super-8, the test reel from "Creation", Willis O'Brien's cancelled project just before "King Kong."
Featuring similar jungle sets, it has a pretty impressive chase scene with Ralf Harolde running for his life as a mother Triceratops is in hot pursuit after her offspring has been shot.
Interesting for what was to follow with "Kong."

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt,

I knew that 'Devil's Ball' was a cutdown from something bigger.

Bill

[ May 23, 2016, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gasbags and Sailor Beware! [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 09, 2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also in Super-8, the test reel from "Creation", Willis O'Brien's cancelled project just before "King Kong."
Featuring similar jungle sets, it has a pretty impressive chase scene with Ralf Harolde running for his life as a mother Triceratops is in hot pursuit after her offspring has been shot.
Interesting for what was to follow with "Kong."

You win. THAT's rare...

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 09, 2009 03:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have,
Flying Leathernecks, 4x400 but in colour,
Also, the 7 x 400ft Run of the Arrow also in colour,
Stingray, 400ft b/w sound the first episode of the first series [Wink]
on 16mm All that Jazz (Roy Schider)

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2009 08:24 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HAVE BADGE, WILL CHASE, with Abbott & Costello, from Castle Films.

That was a joke, guys. But I figured that hundreds of people selling this on eBay can't all be wrong! [Big Grin]

Like Kevin, I also have Red Fox prints of FRA DIAVOLO (Laurel & Hardy)and ROBIN HOOD (Errol Flynn). I didn't think the latter was that rare, though.

I would add:

UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE (L&H, sound/talkie version, Blackhawk)
SMALL TALK (Our Gang, Blackhawk)
THAT'S MY WIFE (L&H, Vitaphone track- only reason my print is rare, Blackhawk)
RAILROADIN' (Our Gang, sound/talkie version, Blackhawk)
YOUNG IRONSIDES (Charley Chase, Blackhawk)

I think some of my Stan Laurel solo shorts (SHOULD TALL MEN MARRY? - Blackhawk, ON THE FRONT PAGE - unknown, and EVE'S LOVE LETTERS - unknown) are also pretty rare.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2009 09:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

Would you also include L&H Blackhawk prints with Vitaphone scores of:
Angora Love, Wrong Again.
Also They Go Boom is not a very common title.

The Battle of the Century extended version is also a very rare title.
Not complete, because it is missing the scenes with the boys signing
the fight contract. However the Boxing Match is in place.
It also contains a very nice score by Gaylord Perry.

By the way, was the Our Gang short: Cat, Dog & Company released with the vitaphone score on Super 8?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2009 01:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure , but is the 70's feature Hannah queen of the vampires rare on super 8?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 10, 2009 02:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
16mm All that Jazz
Drooling with envy... Tom, this is my #1 favorite film!

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rarest on 16mm is probably the Ealing classic "The Ladykillers" in IB Tech, followed by "The Ipcress File" in Scope and Tech, "Alfie" in scope and Tech and a Scope print of "The Graduate" - seen loads of these flat but very few in Scope. Idiotically I've sold off Jaws and Grease, both scope prints, but to be honest they were both pretty worn out.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 10, 2009 06:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, & a blackhawk STD 8 full length of Thicker than water, L&H, there last short

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2009 06:54 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - Flying Leathernecks, 4x400 - If ever you decide to part with it, please keep me in mind? [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

I also have a Blackhawk Std. 8 sound print of Thicker Than Water
and it contains all of the original MGM titles.
The contrast is super sharp and dense theatrical quality.

Along the same line with a Std. 8 Sound print of On the Wrong Trek.
-great theatrical quality, but not with all of the MGM titles.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I got a S8 print of Jiri Trnka's "The Hand". Marvelous animation. Something I never thought I would be able to find on S8.

My rarest prints are 16mm prints. One is a print of David Lynch's "Eraserhead" (has a few issues) and the latest acquisition is a nice print of Jim Jarmusch's "Mystery Train".

I must admit that I'm very envious of people having the Spam/Hungarian phrase book episode from Monty Python Flying Circus. Jean-Marc, your nipples must explode with delight...

- Rob

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2009 06:43 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tony,

Would you also include L&H Blackhawk prints with Vitaphone scores of:
Angora Love, Wrong Again.
Also They Go Boom is not a very common title.

The Battle of the Century extended version is also a very rare title.
Not complete, because it is missing the scenes with the boys signing
the fight contract. However the Boxing Match is in place.
It also contains a very nice score by Gaylord Perry.

By the way, was the Our Gang short: Cat, Dog & Company released with the vitaphone score on Super 8?

Gaylord Perry is famous for his spitball, not organ music accompaniment to silent films. I think you meant Gaylord Carter.

[Big Grin]

I don't have those other Vitaphone prints Michael mentions, but, yes, I would consider them rare. I have THEY GO BOOM, but since that was in release by BH for many years -- not so rare. UAWA wasn't released with the soundtrack until 1979 -- pretty late in the game -- VCRs were already playing in people's homes by then. Long version of BATTLE is extremely rare. (I don't have it -- only pie fight version.)

My Blackhawk THICKER THAN WATER also has M-G-M titles -- I thought that was unique to my print -- like an "answer" print. WRONG TREK I have, but that title shows up A LOT on eBay.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my rarest titles are the german full-features of:
- Rear window
- Tomorrow never dies (Scope)
- Moonraker (Scope)
- Fireball (Scope)
- Once upon a time in the west (Scope)
- The great race (Scope)

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know a bicycle shop sells bicycles?

[ May 23, 2016, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC