8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Rare" titles in your collection? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: "Rare" titles in your collection?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 11, 2009 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once Upon A Time In The West!! That must have been an expensive addition, and in scope! marvelous!

I think my ultimate rarity is "Close Encounters of the Third Kind ... 1977 version. We all know that Derann released about 13 or 15 copies of the 1980's "Special Edition", but we're all still baffled as to where this 1977 version scope feature came from.

Some of the best guesses are that it's an "Oil Rig" print, specifically manufactured to be shown on those rigs, and I have never seen another 1977 version ever pop up anywhere!

By the film stock markings, we seem to have discovered that it was a print from 1983.

... and it's a beautiful print besides all that. Lovely colors and extremely sharp.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Where did you buy "once upon a time in the west" in scope?

Did the firm have a website?

Do you sell it? I'm very interesting.

Regards,

jean-Christophe.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 02:03 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "creation" reel was, I think, distributed in the U.s. by Murray Glass....I bought it in standard 8mm....pretty good quality , too.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titles in my small super 8 collection that I consider rare are: The Beatles Tokyo Concert released by Encore Entertainment on 2X400' reels(now on a full 600 footer). It still has very good color. And also the RED FOX 5X400' Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space". [Smile]

[ September 28, 2009, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2009 03:50 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
yes, it's really great to look it in scope on an 2,80m-Screen [Big Grin]
My copy have marvelous colors, no lines or fades... [Big Grin]

Jean-Christophe,
I can't say, where I bought my copy, because there were only 20 copies from the 16mm-Scope-Negative, you understand ? [Wink]
But one of these copies were at Ebay, Germany not so long ago.
Selling my copy ? Sorry, but I think I will never do that [Smile]

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

I understand very well that you didn't want to sell it. But We didn't never know... [Wink]

Once in my life ( it was in 1999, on the liege filmfair in Belgium ), I've seen a 16mm copy of this film, scope and with great colors. But 5 minutes too late... [Frown]

So, I've bought antoher great film in such conditions: the good, the bad and the ugly. Very happy but not as "once upon a time in the west".
Enjoy your film! For me, it's one of the best Sergio Leone film and one of the best western ever made!

Regards,

JC.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2009 05:25 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right where do i start on rare titles

16mm
The Prisoner Tv Series
Pilot feature length film of the Persuaders
The best of Benny Hill
A Hard Days Night
The T.A.M.I Show

35mm
Thunderbirds are Go
Elvis on Tour (as new)
The Getaway Original
The Mini Mob

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 18, 2009 11:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

I have "A Hard Day's Night" & "TAMI" on Super 8mm. Love those films!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Hard Days Night sounds great on 8!
Where and how did you located that one?
Is it complete, on B&W stock, and how is the picture image?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 19, 2009 10:00 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I picked it up on eBay back in 2003. It is complete on b&w stock, however the preprint material was not the best. There are a few places where splices in the original are evident, but hey, it's my favorite film!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

I have a 16mm print on HDN. Sometimes I "thinks"
of selling it, but then I back out.

Also I have the rare Battle of the Century extended version.
When I had ordered it from Blackhawk, it had taken about
a year before receiving it. Blackhawk sent updates that the
film may not be released and if I wished to have my check
returned? They needed a written response that I was still
interested in the film. My reply was NO thanks and was glad
because it was worth the wait.

Over the past few years, I have debated whether I should sell
it? But have ultimately backed out.

In it being as much a rare item, I do wonder what it would
be worth in today's market?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 19, 2009 11:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal

(by the way, always good to hear from ya)

I do know of a certian forum member, (who, if they should wish to, may make themselves known), who paid a couple hundred dollars for the extended versiopn of "battle" about a year or so ago. This probably wouldn't be the norm, but I wouldn't be surprised if that particular title would bring in a good hundred at least!

A Hards Days Night!

Did you re-record the audio into stereo? It's certianly a candidate for that!

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2009 05:06 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not necessarily desirable, but I have "Over The Top" with Sylvester Stallone. I think it is rare however.

I have been going through my films for another clearout of titles and came across this title. It is the last 600ft only and is optical sound. I don't recall any optical (airline) prints much later than this.

Even though it is the last 30 minutes, it is almost like a digest as you pick the story up and have the conclusion at the arm wrestling tournament.

Strangely like some other optical prints from the mid-80's onwards it has some fade. This being years after LPP. Old SP stock used I wonder? I can't tell from edge markings.

I have a few other complete and part features on Super 8 to go through, I'll let you all know if I find any others I think are rare.

David

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 27, 2009 07:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't recall any optical (airline) prints much later than this.
David,

According to imdb, Over the Top was released in 1987.

There were several airline prints reported here to be released after that, i.e James Bond: "The Living Daylights" (1987), "A Fish Called Wanda" (1988), "Beetlejuice" (1988) and (probably the last airline print)"The Hunt for Red October" (1990, w. Sean Connery).

The link in this forum is here: Airline print was stil made until 1987 ! (or ?)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2009 07:53 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert.

I recall screening Over The Top in the multiplex I worked in back then in 35mm, yet this print has a copyright date of 1988!

There must have been only a few airlines with Super 8 by the late 80's.

I am halfway through running Acquasanta Joe (1971) a spagetti western in 3 x 400 format. Is this a rare one too? Who released it?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2009 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, apparantly, though Super 8 optical all but ended by late 1987 (perhaps a few in 88), the opticals continued overseas in Japan/spain and other areas that still ran super 8 optical on the flights, though the only later one I have actually seen was a "Hunt for Red October" but no releases between 1988-1990, besides the already mentioned "Hunt".

Thye sad thing is, even if there are some great 88-89-90 releases, they would be in a foreign language, and even if you found one, you would have to completely stripe the film, which would cost a butt load of money ...

... or learn that specific language!

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rare films for me are
super 8 RAISE THE TITANIC c/scope stereo feature
16mm THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE c/scope feature
35mm TITANIC (97 version) feature

A sea going man I am.
Patrick [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to list my 600ft "digest" of the first 30 minutes of "Revenge of the Sith" scope/stereo. While there will be a few collectors the worldwide who'll be able to kick up the 800.00 or so dollars for the whole feature (after recording it and such), but I bet I'll be the rarer exception with a proper digest of it!!

--------------------

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rare titles would be:

- tenessee partner(super8 2x 800')
- roustabout(6x400')
- one eyed jacks(3x400')

but what I really would like to find on super 8 is will penny.Regards.

--------------------
D Aveline

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 05:47 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Super 8mm I've one of the CE3K SE Scope feature prints and a rather worn Super 8mm Scope Feature Length print of JAWS which must be of Germanic origin as it has the U8 titles tagged on the front!

On 16mm apart from the anaglyphic 3-D complete Feature Length prints I've mentioned before... CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 3-D, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE 3-D and The MAD MAGICIAN 3-D I now also have a complete Feature Length print of ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

Rick [Smile]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 09:55 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's time I answered this.....

1. Deep Throat. Yes. That one. Missing some footage and faded color. But still a gem nonetheless. It is very graphic. It is also very funny.

2. Fantasia 1940. All parts together as feature length. Begins with the actual trailer for the movie. Ends with the trailer for Fantasia 2000. Sweet!

3. Jurassic Park. Recently made brand new print in 2008.

4. Lucky Pierre. Haven't even seen this one yet because it arrived today. But sounds like campy fun.

5. Emmanuel. Yes. That one. Sylvia Krystal's first film that made her a star.

6. Three different Titanic movies all feature length in the same collection. Raise the Titanic; A Night To Remember, and Titanic by James Cameron.

7. The original scope/stereo Star Wars Trilogy. A New Hope; Empire Strikes Back [German]; and Return of the Jedi. May the popcorn be with you.

8. Fantasia 2000. You can't have the first one without the second.

9. Grease from 1978. This is the newer version in cinemascope. While this might not really be a rare print to have, I include it as one of mine, because it was the first feature I ever bought in super 8. But at the time, it was the marketing films company flat release on 4 x 400. With everything that I learned about Derek Simmonds, how powerful he was in negotiating contracts for negatives, and how he cared about us collectors as well as the hobby it's self, I believe getting the remastered 1998 anniversary version put to scope was positively brilliant. It is true that Grease is not for everyone. But this can be said for every movie ever made. They're not for everyone and Grease should be the exception.

10. Two hundred and seventy five super 8 features in my collection. Not counting DVD or 16MM. I don't know if this really counts. But a collection that big is rare for a person like me!

[Big Grin]

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2009 04:48 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not easy to say a print is realy rare. As I started to collect Film, the most I wanted was Star Wars. Finaly I get a Derann print and I sold it later as I get a 16mm print. Now the 16mm print is also sold.
I think some of the reversal prints of unknown movies are the rarest prints on Super 8 because they exist often only one or two prints.
In the last 15 years I get every print I wanted.
The prints made me most happy was
Super 8: Star Wars (first the Marketing Version, and later Derann full feature)
16mm: IB Tech scope The Girl can´t help it and LPP Batman (1966 with Adam West)

I have in my collection many realy rare 35mm prints (for example Technicolor prints of Singing in the rain, This Island Earth, To catch a thife, breakfast at tiffanys, White Christhmas etc.) but I was no more so happy as I get the 3 features listed above.
Unfortunately from this 3 features, I own only the 16mm Batman print now, the other are sold.
Sometimes you are more happy with a no rare print than a rare one.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2009 09:39 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rare titles in my collection:

16mm:
Pagnol films:
Marius
Fanny
Cesar

Abel Gance:
J'accuse

Super8:
(Cartoons)
Once Upon a Time
Sunbeam
Verwitterte Melodie
Satan Waiting
Porky in wackyland
Acrobaty Bunny
Bimbo's initiation
Snow white (Betty Boop)
Molly Moo Cow & Cie
Inki and the Mina Bird
Kitty Cornered
To Spring
Bosco and the Cannibales
Bosco and the Pirates
The Old House
Clean Peasture
Cold Black and the Sebben Dwarfs
Calico Dragon

and many silent comedies in 16 and super8
[Smile]

--------------------
Tony

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 30, 2009 09:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antoine ...

Is Sunbeam that 1980's cartoon, (I've only seen screen captures) of a 1940's radio show setting with a largely black cast? If so, who put it out on Super 8? I always heard that it was a fun cartoon.

"All this and Rabbit Stew" Banned Bugs Bunny cartoon because of the black stereotypes and faded, but still kind of fun, if slightly disturbing.

Boy Chip! and I thought I had too many at 70 or 80 features!

--------------------

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2009 10:57 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Sunbeam was sold in super8 by Derann, long ago!

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC