8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Outdated Kodachrome Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdated Kodachrome Question
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought three outdated Kodachrome Standard 8 films from Ebay with process by dates of 1984, 1987 & 1992. Still sealed. How do you imagine they'll turn out?

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends how they have been stored over the years. I have been told Kodachrome will keep for 25 years if stored correctly (i.e in a fridge).

The outdated kodachrome I have used which was not that old but stored in a cool box. When developed the colours were a bit muted and some had a slight purpleish look to it but I was still pleased with the results, and at the time there was no similar alternative with the fine grain. I understand now that E64 has since been improved, but I still have kodachromes in the fridge so will use them up first.

Graham S

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2009 11:38 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,I will second those coments.I have quite a few rolls and the ones I have used have been well stored and gave good results.
Only be warned,Dwaynes will NOT process Kodachrome 11 rolls.Ony K25,K25A and its variants.Evidently the K11 is an obsolescent process.This is stated on their website.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old Kodachrome can be processed by the Rocky Mountain film Co.
Unfortunatly they can only give a black & white processing service as the colour dyes are no longer made.

They have a web site www.rockymountainfilm.com/service.htm

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will film on probably the oldest film first (1984) send to Dwayne's and see what the results are like. The others, which are newer, can only come out better...well, in theory!

Raymond J. Santoro
Junior

- posted February 08, 2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Raymond J. Santoro   Email Raymond J. Santoro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I've been using quite a bit of old Kodachrome. You're right; generally the newer the stock the better the results. Anything with a 'process by' date of 1995 or newer has given me outstanding results. I had some rolls with a process date of 1991, and they came out acceptable but my eye could tell a good deal of wash-out with the color had occurred. I won't risk using anything older than 1990. My two cents...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC