8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What scope cartoons were released on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What scope cartoons were released on Super 8?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a different topic I don't think we've really discussed ...

What scope cartoons were actually released?

Lets include not only the Derann releases, (disney, feature and short) but also all of the Cinevision releases as well as the other odd ones that have crept up, one of which I may have lucked out on but I'll let you know in the near future when I can verify that.

Lets hear from you guys!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom & jerry "tops with pops" springs to mind....Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2009 04:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll list what scope cartoons that I can remember:

Disney Features
Sleeping Beauty (feature/scope)
Lady and the tramp (feature/scope)

Disney Shorts
Toot Whistle Plunk Boom
Bearly Asleep (D. Duck)
No Hunting (D. Duck)
Hooked Bear (D. Duck)

Disney/Touchstone
Trail Mix-up (R. Rabbit)
Tummy Trouble (scope?) (R. Rabbit)

Disney/Pixar

One Man Band (CGI)

MGM

(Tom and Jerry)
Tops with Pops
Touche Pussycat
Muscle beach Tom
Pet Peeve
Southbound Duckling
Royal Cat Nap
Pups on a Picnic
Downbeat Bear
Barbecue Brawl
Blue Cat Blues
Flying Sorceress
Tot Watchers
Happy go Ducky
Mucho Mouse
Busy Buddies
Timid Tabby
Robin Hoodwinked

(note: in some of these cases of scope releases, were remakes of earlier flat Tom and Jerry cartoons; same animation, but new backgrounds and, in some cases, a few gags edited out to lower the running time and save money, as scope releases raised up the costs.)

Goodwill to Men

Tex Avery MGM
Cats Meow
Millionaire Droopy
One Droopy Knight (rumored to exist)

UPA

When Magoo Flew
Magoo Beats the Heat
Magoo Goes Overboard
Matador Magoo

Terrytoons
Meat, Drink and Be Merry (Sick Sydney)
Banana Binge (Sick Sydney)
Lady of our Juggler (rumored to exist)

Warner Brothers

Box Office Bunny (Note: though this was released in scope, it's pparant by the cropping, that the proper aspect ratio was a flat
35MM, or slightly cropped, but it released in all aspect ratio formats.)

Disney Features

[ March 02, 2009, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi.....tsk tsk tsk

Maybe you don't have it, but who could forget Derann's feature A BUG'S LIFE from Disney, not to mention TRAIL MIX UP the 4th installment of the Roger Rabbit Cartoons.

Now if you thought there were only 3 R Rabbitt shorts, I say not. Do not forget SOMETHIN'S COOKIN that begins the feature movie; followed of course by:

TUMMY TROUBLE /W/ HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS

ROLLERCOASTER RABBIT /W/ DICK TRACY

TRAIL MIX UP /W/ A FAR OFF PLACE

[Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, you must not have read all of my last post, I listed those Roger rabbit cartoons under "Disney/Touchstone". "Somethings cooking" I wouldn't list as a seperate cartoon as it was part of that Roger Rabbit feature film.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 01, 2009 10:45 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, "Tummy Trouble" isn't in scope, and you may add "Robin Hoodwinked" to the T&J list.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 01, 2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean ...

Thanks for clearing up that info on "Tummy Trouble", I didn't know as to whether it was scope or not. So, only "Trail Mix-up is in scope of the Roger Rabbit cartoons.

We are lucky to have so many of the Tom and Jerry cartoons in scope! Thanks for mentioning "Robin Hoodwinked", I no doubt missed a few. I do wish more of the droopy scopes were put out on Super 8.

I'm curious as to how many other scope cartoons were released in limited release? I just bought a Red Fox print of "Banana Binge" which was a "Sick Sidney" cartoon by Terrytoons, and I'm hoping that it is a scope release. When I get it I'll update that on this series of posts.

--------------------

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 02:11 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have scope prints of

Tom & Jerry:
THE EGG & JERRY
BUSY BUDDIES
TIMID TABBY

Sick Sydney:
MEAT, DRINK & BE MERRY

Mr. Magoo:
MATADOR MAGOO

I have several different copies of WHEN MAGOO FLEW and they're all flat. Not saying there isn't one, but I've never seen this title in scope.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 04:39 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Tom & Jerry goes, there were 22 films shot in scope (including 3 re-framed for standard ratio: Pet Peeve, Touche Pussy Cat and Southbound Duckling). Of these I have 16 on super 8 and 1 on 16mm. From looking at dealers' lists and films I've missed on Ebay, I'm sure that all 22 were released on super 8 at one time or another.

I also have Magoo Goes Overboard, Millionaire Droopy and One Droopy Knight (so no mere rumour Osi...)

Best wishes,

Tiv

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip G.....tsk tsk tsk.....(lol)

Actually, I don't think Trail Mix Up was filmed scope, because it was side matted vertically. Thus, it might have been blown up to scope to appear on the scope movie A Far Off Place.

Not sure. Just guessing.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 02, 2009 10:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I envy you! I always thought "One Droopy Knight" was scope!

Love to find that one. I'm betting there were a limited numbers of printings on that one.

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One Man Band 200ft release....Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 12:47 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add the following:
Tom and Jerry FEEDING THE KIDDIE
TOPS WITH POPS
TOM AND CHERIE
Disney HOOKED BEAR
WB BOX OFFICE BUNNY

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 02, 2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I added the other titles that you folks have added, to that larger list.

It's interesting that, though "Of Mice and Magic" is a very good book on the history of animated cartoons, it doesn't list some of the Tom and Jerry scope releases (especially during the transition to scope). In the case of "Southbound Duckling" and "Pet Peeve" the box set of Tom and Jerry (volume two) doesn't even have these cartoons in scope. This makes cartoons such as "Touche Pussycat" and the other two listed as reel collectors items for Tom and Jerry Super 8 collectors as, unless there are some copies somewhere on 16MM, there are no copies of these in widescreen anywhere else, (to my knowledge).

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC