8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My Film Transport

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Film Transport
Marty Pinkerman
Junior

- posted March 24, 2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Marty Pinkerman   Email Marty Pinkerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a clip of the Film Transport I made a couple of years ago.

I hope you like it.

P.S. Luv the forum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76aKlYHTgqY

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2009 09:24 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marty,
Very pretty indeed. I have a 16mm long-play unit which also works for Standard-8 and Super-8 (if you just change the cores) and it will run long films in either format.
Nice to see your mechanical skills at work in creating what looks like a very functional unit. What kind of motors and control did you use for this?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 24, 2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, it's very impressive.

If I may know, how much does it cost to build this film transport (apart from labor cost).

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Marty Pinkerman
Junior

- posted March 24, 2009 09:54 PM      Profile for Marty Pinkerman   Email Marty Pinkerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Claus.
The Motors are 130v dc Bodine Gearmotors, with a Bodine Filtered Type "WPM" DC Speed Controller. The pulleys & discs & friction rings & the 16mm and Super-8 spindles were all machined locally.

Did you see the ST180-E with the 2000' reels?
It's almost finished.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 01:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very cool, I am very envious and curious about the elmo conversion as I am looking to do something similar since I have a number of features on those old extend-a-reels but do not have any means of using them until I can either find one of those (I have given up trying) or can adapt my elmo ST1200-HD to handle 2000' reels. Can you help by explaining your method?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 05:32 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive indeed-well done! Only one question-is there a certain reason why the long play unit is so distant from the projector, or is it just by chance?

--------------------
Yannis

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 05:52 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marty,

Thanks for sharing this with us.
I enjoyed every second of the 9 1/2 minutes of your you-tube film.
I also envy the space you have where you can do these kind of things.
That's about double the size of my complete house.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 06:19 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive! My compliments!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 07:44 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marty, in one word, AWESOME! [Smile]

Would you consider constructing/selling something like that?

Oh, and, which movie is it? [Roll Eyes]

Cheers
Lars

Marty Pinkerman
Junior

- posted March 25, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Marty Pinkerman   Email Marty Pinkerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for the kind posts.

To Yanis, no reason for the long distance between the projector
and the pedestal, just curious about the tension.

To Lars, I would like to build a few more & see others enjoying
the hobby with a little more simplicity.

When The Elmo is finished, I will post a video of it in action.

By the way, the feature in the video clip is:

"IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE"

What you didn't see was the 800' of The Little Rascal's short's before the feature.

Thanks for the kind posts.

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 03:56 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Very very splendid!

I love this project.

It give me some idea... to make this for me!

Thank's a lot.

JC

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some very nice engineering, Marty.

The related links took me to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdl1sDbJf6Q
It appears to have required some engineering too, but this one leaves me with more questions than answers, like it's a work-in-progress. But the film looks like it's 70mm, not 35.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted March 28, 2009 02:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No that is definitely 35mm running, not 70mm. I recognize that setup. I don't know who's it is, but I know I've seen pictures of that one before.

By the way, very nice job on the film transport! Be sure and put a film cleaner bracket mount on it so you can have automated film cleaning too.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 28, 2009 02:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marty: very cool engineering work.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2009 12:44 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WICKED!!!!!!! If this can be done it seems that you have the space you could even build a self looping platter system! No more rewinding. I'm most interested in your 2000' ST180E. I have one, but I really want 2000'ers for my ST1200HD. I was just lamenting that My Hells Angels print will have to be mounted on 2 1200's and a 1600 isn't long enough either and I wanted 2000'. It looks like you modified the arms. Is this the case? I'm curious if it's possible to build a 2000' reel that pushes the absolute limit in diameter so that it just barely clears the feed/take up and a small enough core to fit 2000'. Not have any 1600' reels I don't know if this limit has already been reached w/ them.
Cheers,
James E

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC