8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Frankenstein Feature?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frankenstein Feature?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did this come from?!?! I have never seen a feature print of Frankenstein before... Does anyone know what distributor released it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310136016401

|  IP: Logged

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2009 10:17 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a bootleg,In the 70s there was a guy in Texas and one in Calif. bootlegging prints,quality could be good,I had a bootleg Duck Soup that was excellent.And the Ebay seller is a great guy who has been doing this for over 30 years

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2009 12:53 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Do not forget Animal Crackers, another Paramount Picture
that was part of the Universal / MCA library.

Indeed, those Universal prints are believed to be bootlegged,
and another rare title in 8mm is Million Dollar Legs.

I do not believe that this W.C. Fields print is bootleg.
A time long ago, were there early 8mm prints of Psycho?

I have some bona fide silent standard 8mm features printed from the U/A
negatives of La Boheme, Lilac Time, Beau Gueste, and
The Patent Leather Kid.

Hmmmm..... ah yes.
The mystery circulates again.
[Cool]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 17, 2009 06:32 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Meet Frankenstein as well. How do they manage these with Universal?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 17, 2009 10:13 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller is Dave Thomas of "Dave Thomas Films" of yesteryear, (who is still selling new Derann prints these days ... at least, the cartoons), and Dave has always been an up and up (that's good) seller, so I'm sure that its a decent print.

I don't think that Dave ever dealt in bootlegs.

Perhaps it's a German print?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 03:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The early (late 1960s or early 1970s) complete prints of PSYCHO mentioned above were Standard 8mm released in the UK - by Derran, I think, though I may be wrong about that.

It was one of a batch of titles licensed from Universal; others I recall were THE INVISIBLE MAN and THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, released complete but only in Standard 8 as far as I know.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 06:04 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was Derann who put out Psycho, Invisible Man, and Ghost of Frankenstein as regular 8mm full length features in the 60's. I believe they were just rental prints since they had no artwork on the boxes... it's interesting these were all on five reels and complete - rather than the four reel features they eventually started putting out. It's too bad they never got to print them on super 8. They also had Evil of Frankenstein as part of their early Universal deal since their print was the US TV version not the British cut.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ended at $565.88.

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 01:13 AM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it did go over 5 bills. I had it at 4.

LA

Julian Antos
Junior

- posted April 19, 2009 12:29 PM      Profile for Julian Antos         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! You could get a good 16mm print of Frankenstein for about half that...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 19, 2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Thats way too much money for a Super 8 print of anything IMO.

-Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC