8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How do you stack your films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How do you stack your films
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 01, 2009 05:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many ways to store (stacking) your films so it's nice to be seen. At least some people do based on:

- Film Genre (eg. all horrors, all musicals, all wars, al westerns, etc)
- Well known artists (all Elvis', all Sean Connery's, all Boris Karloff's, all Arnold's, etc)
- Company releases (all Blackhawk's, all Ken's, all Marketing's, all MGM, all Universal 8, etc)
- Serial (all L&H, all our gang/Little Rascals, all A&C, etc)

or the funny one
- Packing type (all hard case, all cardboard, all clamshell, etc).

Which one did you do....?

I must admit that I do the last one....

All Universal 8 (with additional label):

-

all Columbia (yellow generic box):

-

All Universal 8 (later box):

-

All Clamshell (no matter what company releases):

-

All Marketing & Walt Disney 200":

-

So what about you....?

Share your story here...(Mike Peckham... you are excluded! We already knew your style.. [Big Grin] )

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 01, 2009 09:05 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Great topic, impressive pictures! I have so many films and so little space, that the only way I can find anything is to categorize by the distributor (except for features).

-
Universal-8

-
Castle

-
Derann Clamshells (Derann white boxes are nearby)

-
Ken cardboard box 400's (Ken clamshells are on another shelf)

-
Ken 200's

-
Features

The photos only show a small part of the closet o' film....many of the shelves are two layers deep.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2009 09:29 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Douglas, my compliments.

Well, this is an old picture. But that's more or less 'my way'. Even if this is just a part of my collection. There are here some features (but most of them have been sold or replaced) and some shorts. Shorts and features are actually stored in different places (there were some of my records too, in this picture).

-

[ September 18, 2009, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 01, 2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stack them on top of each other, no more than abo0ut 18 inches high, on this nice shelf I built for them. This doesn't become a problem as, except for my Blackhawk collection, most prints are in hard plastic containers, so the pressure doesn't affect them.

The size ratio of shelves is about the same with the eastman prints stored in the fridge in the back, except in many cases, they are in thick freezer bags with a selica gel packet or two to ward off any potential moisture, (though this fridge I use is a frost free model).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 01, 2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
With difficulty [Big Grin]

You guys have fabulous collections but do you get to watch them and how are they for fade? as I notice some of those titles are quite early for super8.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 01, 2009 11:35 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All boxes neatly arranged vertically, cans also in their respective carrying cases

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All features on 1200 foot reels stored in 16mm cans vertically in wooden cabinet. Divided in to three sections, CinemaScope, Disney, & general (flat mag optical). Each section alphabetical by title. Maybe sometime I can attach a photo here of it.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2009 01:02 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "no system" stacking. I have to put them whereever they will fit....they are like the Tribbles of Star Trek. no system, no room.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy that is some well impressive collections, although we have around 350 films (from trailers to features) the storage is as it comes.
You put me to shame, [Embarrassed] now i have to take a closer look and get tidying.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 04, 2009 12:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

It seems you use a similar approach with me, i.e using the packing style system.

The most truly problem with this approach when our favorites were released by different distributors with different type of packing.

Look at my Elvis collections, there are those from Ken 400" (cardboard) and those from Derann and Ken 400" (clamshell) plus one from Universal 8 400" (hardcase). If I stack them together, their sizes are different, so it doesn't make any good!

If I put in different places according to the packing material, then I felt my Elvis list was not complete...!! [Razz]

How do you deal with this Doug?

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 04, 2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I arrange by the distributor, in numerical order (mostly!). If the company released their films in different types of packaging, I keep the same type together. For example, the Columbia generic boxes are grouped together, then the Columbia boxes with artwork, followed by the Columbia clamshells (good name for a band). So Columbia's "Taxi Driver" is not stacked next to Piccolo's digest from the same film, even though they're both in similar cases.

Kevin,

Some of those early color titles have fade, but luckily quite a few are holding up well. Many of my Marketing full length features are getting pinker by the day, except for "Black Sunday", "Warriors", and "War of the Worlds". I make a real attempt to screen those older films in the collection. I sell the ones I'm tired of.

How about some more pictures, folks? I like how Gian Luca has his projectors in the same display unit.

Doug

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 04, 2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the beauty, the splendor of those magnificent colorful boxes. Truly overwhelming, but wait till you get a load of mine [Smile] Need to get a camera someday - Still looking for a 600' metal Super 8 can too

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 04, 2009 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tired of "Popeye Meets Ali Baba" Douglas?

(No, I NEVER give up!)

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 04, 2009 02:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Now that you mention it.......no.

Doug

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2009 05:02 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug. I will probably take (and post) soon some updated pictures. The one I have posted shows only the 'main' display unit. Other projectors and films are stacked in different places, depending on the available room. My collection is very dynamic: I change films' position pratically every day!

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Here's some updated pictures. These are some of my 200 feet shorts and trailers (I will only consider some of my 200" titles, in this post).
Artworks for the trailers are of course not original. A good friend of mine and also collector (Marco Ottaviani: he's really great) makes them for me. I print them and here they are:

-

- Some shorts in my collection:

-

- A little more:

-

- And some of my gems (Italian prints... Not 200" shorts, but I couldn't avoid to post a picture... I'm in love with these titles) in their original box with artwork (except for Dario Argento's TENEBRE: the box in this case has been created by another collector):

-

As you have probably understood, I pay so much attention on cases and boxes, according to the content!

[ September 18, 2009, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like this post!

It is very satisfying to see like-minded film friends.I am always trying to figure out how to organize my collection.

I still haven't figured it out but I like the idea of doing it by the same style boxes. Right now I have them seperated by film length and format.

Here is a picture that shows part of my collection.

-

Bill

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 12, 2009 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian ...

That is a very lovely collection of boxes!

I wish I had that kind of drive for my collection.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2009 11:57 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, that's really very kind of you. It's part of the fun: I always try to find the way to 'supply' a nice box or case to every film reaching my collection.

Cannot see them 'naked' when I get some without any box. I love Derann prints also, of course, just to make an example, but cannot leave the movies in those white, anonymous cardboard boxes. Colors, colors, colors!

Nice picture, Bill!

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2009 01:04 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so jealous as to how beautiful everyone's collections look....I guess I tend to organize by format since I have all of my 16mm and 35mm(including Nitrate) in the cold storage facilities at the archive I work at, Most of the rest I used to store in my workroom at the archive but I switched to an office so most went home and I have only recently been trying to put it in some form of order. While currently this only represents a tiny fraction of my collection it is getting there (I have a whole storage space filled with projectors)..I have them on shelves by format, and I am now switching from cans over to the white boxes (I like the clean look), and I have about 50 silent features stuck on those extend-a-reels of which I no longer have the actual extend a reel to use them with so i'm slowly switching them over to 1200 & 1600 reels. Now the storage.....

The Good (Reg8)

-

(Super8)

-

The Better (9.5mm)

-

& of course The Ugly (unboxed/uncanned 9.5)

-

---Oh and the red box/drawer is how I store the 3000+ movies I have on DVD, and another 1200+ CD's. I have those in paper sleeves & numbered with a database so I can find stuff. I actually also have a database for my films so I can keep track of stuff (especially since I have them in different locations) like where I get them, how much I paid, when I play them, inspect them, etc

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 24, 2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'd like to know the titles on some of those boxes, especially the Blackhawks - Hi, just back from CINEVENT in Ohio

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New pictures coming soon. I'm buying two new display units: the main one is exploding!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2009 07:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, if only to be that organized!

Actually, my collection has changed due to "Devin" needs. So, now, I have separated all my black and white prints into a another room that is not as climate controlled (for the moment), as Devin is starting to crawl up on shelves. All the color L.P.P. prints are on higher shelves, the bottom shelves have now been taken over by Devin's toys, (one of which is a broken down "Copal" projector!)

The interesting fact is that now that I have placed all of DEvin's toys underneath the shelves of films, Devin no longer desires to play with his toys, (or the films, strangely).

So, black and whites, separate room.
L.P.P. prints up a few shelves.
All Kodak SP and Eastman prints? In the fridge!

Wacky, eh?

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 03:31 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE WANT PICTURES eh eh eh... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2009 11:10 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made these for a friend and I thought I would share them with you. I should probably make a few for myself but Im too busy making film cleaners :\

..I had a little fun with the Jaws box [Smile]

www.videoglue.com/ftp/uploads/Boxes/Boxes1.JPG
www.videoglue.com/ftp/uploads/Boxes/Boxes2.JPG
www.videoglue.com/ftp/uploads/Boxes/Boxes3.JPG
www.videoglue.com/ftp/uploads/Boxes/Boxes4.JPG

The boxes are not airtight and breathe easily, birch plywood ( like used to make doors ) white glue to assemble, thin coat of acrylic varnish on exteriors, no finish on interiors. Baked in oven @ 275 degrees for 4 hours to ensure adequate drying.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC