8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Light spill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Light spill
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 11:36 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this topic has been raised before, but I couldn't find anything specific under 'search'.

For a long time I have felt that the light spill from the various lamphouses on my projectors can be somewhat objectionable when screening films; unless one is fortunate enough to have a projection room!

Short of having such a room, or painting the lounge ceiling and walls matt black, (to which my lady wife would object most violently), has anyone come up with a suitable baffle/louvre arrangement for their machines to either reduce this light spill, or else to eliminate it altogether?

Clearly, one must be careful not to impede the air flow. On most of my projectors, there seems little room to achieve this inside the casing, and any baffle/louvre arrangement on the outside must be carefully designed and built so as not to detract from the overall appearance of the machine - it must look 'part of it'.

I am currently researching this and carrying out various temperature tests, but if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, or actually has a tried and tested solution, I should be most interested to hear them.

This obviously applies equally to 16mm machines!

Cheers.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Room light certainly DOES make a difference. I've blocked off light from my Blu-ray player with black tape. I also use a piece of matt black hardboard on a stand, like a scope stand and position that to stop light coming forward. Yes, I have black carpet and dark red walls also!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 06, 2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how much room you have there Dave.
What I'm contemplating doing is constructing a removeable screen with some ports to erect in front of the projector(s) - sort of like a projection booth front wall, if you like.

It'll not only help with light spillage but, also reduce projector noise.

-Mike

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 02:42 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like quite a scheme that could just work, Mike.

Be interested to hear how it pans out, though as you say, space might be an issue.

--------------------
Dave.

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the light spill from my 16CL to be quite intrusive in a small room. So I got a square of black card, about the size of a CD box. One edge is taped to the handle, the other protrudes over the top of the lamp house, but several inches above it. I stuck a couple of coins onto the card so that when the machine runs the card is blown horizontal.

This cuts out about 80% of the light spill and has no noticable effect on the running temperature of the machine.

Stewart

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 07:02 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'front wall' is an idea I've considered. It could be the kind of thing I see used in educational campuses as a message board or room divider. This is free-standing with feet but is only an inch thick. 'Portholes' could be cut in it. These even have cloth covering on both sides so would reduce noise.

--------------------
VistaVision

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 02:37 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several ideas here. Thank you. My thoughts were revolving around making up a metal louvre which could be screwed into place either above or below the existing one. I'll continue to experiment with the various ideas. The only disadvantge with my scheme, is that it would entail making a bespoke louvre for each projector! [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Dave.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 07, 2009 03:25 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

Thats exactly what I had in mind. But, having it in mind and actually getting it done are two different things!!!

One of these days..... [Smile]

-Mike

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 01:58 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Take a look at this supplier of all things useful:

www.furnitureatwork.co.uk

try a search on 'display' that will keep you busy for a few hours.

--------------------
VistaVision

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC