8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who's Picture Is On The Frankenstein Box Art

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's Picture Is On The Frankenstein Box Art
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bride Of Frankenstein" and "A&C Meet Frankenstein" Castle Cover graphic on the top show an image of the actual actors in the movie. On the bottom is a graphic of the monster with his hands clasped together as if he were praying. Now, I've searched the web high and low for the identical photo and have come to the conclusion that the actor in the monster makeup is indeed NOT Glenn Strange nor Karloff nor Chaney, but an identified actor who merely posed in the makeup for the cover image(s). Would you all agree or am I way off here?

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 07, 2009 10:43 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Brad,

Good question! I've never looked that close at the photo before, but on the "Bride" cover, it appears to me that the Monster's left hand is actually drawn in to make it appear that he's pleading to his potential mate. The left hand is nowhere to be found on the A&C cover.

-

I seriously doubt that Castle would've gone to the expense or trouble to stage a cover shoot. I'm sure that's a Universal publicity still that they've manipulated (in the days before photoshop!). It could be one of the four actors (the three you mentioned and Bela Lugosi) who played the monster.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 11:26 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could he be Edwin Parker or Gil Perkins who were regular stunt doubles for the monsters in the Universal films?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 11:57 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

no matter what you say - to me it looks like Boris Karloff in the 1931's "Frankenstein"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021884/

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2550568960/tt0021884
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2741278720/tt0021884
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2808387584/tt0021884
http://img2.ifilmpro.com/resize/image/stills/films/resize/istd/3054411.jpg

Of course it could be as well from "Bride of Frankenstein".

Jörg

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 07, 2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Karloff to me.

-Mike

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 07:38 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it HAS to be Glenn Strange on both covers, even though he didn't play the monster in "Bride" [Confused]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 11:15 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish we could find the actual still that the photo is from. I don't recall any scenes in a "Frankenstein" film where the monster struck such a pose. If I was to pick who I think it resembles the most - I'd have to say Strange simply based on the facial structure and makeup design. I agree that the left hand does appear to be sketched in or it could even be a reverse image of the right hand.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 11:21 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Strange, too. The face is too young and not gaunt enough (he took out his bridge) to be Karloff. And in the 40s they shot lots of publicity stills of the cheap actors. I worked at Universal TV publicity in the early 90s and I can tell you the publicity stills in the later "monster rally" films were always second unit and fast and cheesy.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2017 01:04 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it. It's actually Glenn Strange in the exact position. He's kneeling next to Bud and Lou in a comically posed publicity still for "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein". Found it on Google. Caption reads "a funny pose from A&C Meet Frankenstein". Yes his hands are clasped in the photo.

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2017 11:30 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got Castle Films 200ft The Bride of Frankenstein for Christmas, back in 1967, I always knew it was Glen Strange on the cover and always wondered why they showed a picture of him and not Boris Karloff.

--------------------
Joe

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 07:46 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that when Boris Karloff died that at least one newspaper used a photo of Strange in the obituary.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 20, 2017 06:14 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange as it may seem...Shorty

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2017 06:35 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty, I bet you have those 2 boxes in pristine condition.
[Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 23, 2017 09:34 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Nice work! Here is the still:

-

Brad found it on this site.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 23, 2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Told ya

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2017 05:44 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Glenn Strange, and many periodicals (including Radio Times) still mistakenly print his picture when referencing Boris Karloff.

Daniel Perry
Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2017 12:47 PM      Profile for Daniel Perry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Late to the thread but yeah I thought it was Strange as well. Nice hunting!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Doug!!! That's the picture! Whew! Now I can sleep again (LOL)!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC