8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » BFCC Ealing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BFCC Ealing
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 02:14 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just returned home after another good day at the Ealing Convention. Nice to meet up with fellow Forum members and collectors for a chat - Kevin F, Mark M, Jean-Marc, Graham, David and Colin (alhough the "main gang" were conspicuous by their absence - they were probably getting "tooled up" for the Eurovision tonight?).

The atmosphere in the dealers hall,with all the dealers being in one room, was very good. Also,there was better control over the admittance of "punters" - stopping the "pay dodgers" from entering very easily. There many were bargains to be had, as usual.

The Film Shows were, of course, up to Mr.Wilton's usual, exacting standard.

We were given a questionaire to fill in for the October event, as the event is in "doubt" at this point due to parking restriction problems.

I really hope this event carries on and this can only be achieved by good attendance, on the day itself.

Many thanks again to Keith, John and their team for yet another entertaining day. Long may it continue.

[ May 18, 2009, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what can I add??

Cheers to Keith,John & co for yet another superb event.

I really enjoyed the shows I managed to catch,especially the 35mm show.

Picked up lotsa bargains as the bring and buy stall was packed with super 8mm features at truly knock down prices.

KING KING full feature went for 30 quid!!

It was also great to meet some fellow forum members for the first time too Jean-Marc,Kevin F etc.

I was told admissions were up today and that the dealers were all doing a swift trade too which bodes well for the next event in October.

And last but not least many thanks to David Pannell for the lift back to horsham!!

Cheers Mark W

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 03:12 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what can I say? I got to Ealing (the first time I had been) and I can only say how much I regret not having been there before now. I was greatly impressed with just about everything and I do hope that the event continues to be held. Furthermore, if this event is anything to go by I very much intend to be at Blackpool (and I do hope that it goes ahead). Well done everybody involved with the organisation of the day and thank you.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 03:46 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A superb day...I consider this to be possibly the best BFCC I have attended, so far! I think it's much better in just the one room. Attendance was certainly very healthy; the cinema was packed. Plenty of film to buy as well; all reasonably priced. I can't wait for the next event. And also to get my Single-8 film back I took of the convention today!

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 04:12 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a good time too. Great to chat with Jean-Marc Toussaint, Steven Sigel, David Pannell and others. I picked up a WB Sylvester cartoon and a Tom & Jerry I didn't have on 16mm and I was so impressed with the print quality on Classic's Dave Clark Five newsreel in the super 8 new releases show, I bought that too. The film show was diverse and entertaining and times throughout the day it was standing room only. Long may the BFCC continue!

Tiv

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 16, 2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed the day as usual. Numbers appeared to be up - thats gotta be a good sign.

-Mike

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes a good day out as i picked up a GS1200 and a few films,met some fellow forum members for the first time and the film shows were as always superb,hope the October event happens so please support that one although Derann and CHC are not attending and the car park facilities might have gone also,if you did go to todays event then e-mail or fill in your questionaire to Keith...Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2009 05:36 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see this thread before posting in the general yak section. Thanks for coming everyone, and a special thank you for Mark Williams who amongst other things helped erect the 24ft screen for the umpteenth time, David Pannell who also assisited and helped with the sound, Paul Tivy for the fabulous 3D show filmed by him and Keith using Paul's equipment, Colin Hunt for the moral support and helping to clear up, Jean Marc Toussaint for being a co-organizer for the day, Steven Sigel for making the effort to come along whilst he was over here all the way from the US of A... and everyone else who I've forgotten to mention.

We'll have to see what October brings but already Mr. Wilton is feeling a lot better about it so perhaps we'll get a second BFCC this year after all and then revert to one next year. We can but hope.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 16, 2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It was great to see a good turnout and speak to so many friends that this hobby has given me.

I was gutted with one dealer who sold a print whom I told I wanted in the middle of last week. Imagine my surprise to turn up at his stall to ask for the print only to see it being sold before my very eyes.
I had been after this particular print on 16mm for a very long time. [Frown] One dealer I WONT be dealing with ever again or recommending. Sorry guys but this is one of the reasons I left so early....I felt so deflated!

Kev.

[ May 17, 2009, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2009 05:17 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very upsetting news Kevin. But don't let it get you down... I'll loan you my 35mm print of Spider-Man 2 if that will cheer you up!?!

By the way, I've updated the web site so have a look at the past events pages to find your way there.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just gutted that I could not make it. Sorry to hear about that Kev, I trust the said dealer will live to regret loosing a good customer

So, no Derann or CHC at future events? Well, I suppose it was inevitable. If there is one in October I will certainly try to get along.

--------------------
Tony

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2009 07:09 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Derann or Classic at future events? This is news to me, is it true and would there really be parking restrictions in the future as I thought this supermarket idea has been shelved?

Great to meet up with forum members again.

Graham S

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 17, 2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Film Friends.

Back from Ealing on the Eurostar and sorting through a pile of 200ft Ken digest in original boxes as well as other bargains found yesterday.

I had an excellent time and it was great to meet with you all. Tiv - aka "The Man in the White Suit" - and I had quite a passionate discussion about 3D. Looking forward to seeing these Nimslo lenticular shots you did at the show.

Great atmosphere in the dealers room. It was always buzzing with people everywhere and many tables were cleared before the end of the day. Hats off to all who stayed til the last minute even though they had obviously finished doing business.

3 other French collectors had made the trip (Daniel A - soon to join the forum, Daniel F and Francis). Jean-Christophe from Belgium was there as well. Bravo les gars !

The cinema was packed all day, up to a point where many people had to stand in the back. But then again, the films were excellent. Congratulations to Keith & John for the constant quality of programming and showmanship.

Note to all, if you want to be made "co-organizer" you have to carry the 35mm equipment singlehandedly. Or fold the giant screen back into its carrying bag with your eyes closed. Piece of cake. [Big Grin]

In conclusion, one of the best conventions I've attended. Not sure I can make it in October but will definitely aim at May 2010.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 17, 2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the organisers - it was great to see such a successful day. I felt it worked very well having all the dealers, Bring and buy and refreshments in one room, and some of the 'buzz' of past events was restored. It was also excellent to have access to the back of the cinema via the same room, and hopefully this has completely eradicated the problem of non-paying people. The attendance must have been higher than expected as all the questionnaires had run out by the time I arrived soon after 11am!

I enjoyed the shows I saw and Classic's recent releases looked impressive on the big screen. I already have their 'Dracula' (1958) reissue trl but the 'Dave Clark 5' and the 'Bumblebee' shorts were also very entertaining. The 3D show was also enjoyable and Paul's shots inside Blackpool Tower were particularly effective.

I was told at the Derann stall that there seems to have been a misunderstanding with regard to Derann not being willing to support an October event; look out for a comment from Gary on Monday. I also mentioned to Ged that there are collectors that would welcome a 16mm releases show at one of the conventions. Irrespective of the availability of 16mm review prints, it sounded like he would try to assist with regard to providing prints for a show, so if John and Keith wish to follow this up, it may well be worthwhile.

I was pleased to see some Forum members and also to have a chat with Norman J Warren. Norman directed some notable independent British horror films in the 1970s and 80s, including 'Terror' and 'Satan's Slave' and can be counted upon to be at nearly every BFCC, expressing the same enthusiasm for film as everyone else.

I generally got the impression that there's a lot of goodwill that will result in collectors trying harder to promote and support the BFCC in future, so hopefully yesterday was a turning point. If a final October convention takes place prior to reverting to one every Spring, I'm sure that it will also be a draw to be able to say that it's the last ever October BFCC!

[ May 17, 2009, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted my comments on the general yak thread I'll just bump it here as it seems the proper thread for it;

I had a great day. Got some bargains- 'The sea Hawk' - '42nd. St' for £25.
Also the latest Armchair Odeon Dvd. Spent my budget!
Good to meet up with some forum members, Jean-Marc, That film expo in Paris sounds worth a visit on Euro-star and your home cinema sounds amazing!
John C. Thanks for the cider, I think I needed a few more to make sense of the 'Purple Monster!'
Fish and chips with my old mate from the BBC Bob Greenwood for lunch, then back to the hall in time for the shows. The 3D film was quite effective. Lots of 'Depth' shots of lovely old projectors.
I'm having a showing next week of my 'spoils'.HD DLP projector running alongside 8mm GS 1200.
Thanks again to Keith, Ken, John and the team. It is quite an effort to pull this sort of thing of. Hope to be at the next one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 17, 2009 01:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad everyone had a good time, i am gutted and sorry that we were unable to attend again. Its certainly our loss & am fully aware this may have been the last. I guess i can only hope not.

Sorry to hear of your let down Kevin, Hope your able to find another print soon.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 01:27 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be culture clash or something, but just what is a "punter?" And what does "gutted" mean? Over here if you get gutted you probably won't live to talk about it!

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim. A "punter" is "Brit speak" for is "someone who is a paying participant" and " to be gutted" is "to be very disappointed".

Hope that clarifies things a little Jim, sorry for any confusion caused.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 02:14 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, haw are you? Hope all is fine there. I was not in a position to be there. But I always hope there will be any possibility to meet you and all the 'gang' in the future. Take care.
[Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 03:28 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think it's all pretty much been said. I can't think of anything constructive to add. It certainly was a superb day, and indeed hopefully the positive watershed for which we had all been hoping.

Again, I was very pleased to meet up with the usual crew as well as members whom I had not met before, and 'chew the fat' so to speak. It's always nice to be able to put a face to a name at these events - particularly if having held correspondence via e-mail, PMs or Forum posts.

Even so, I see several contributors to this thread whom I would have liked to meet, but the time just disappeared. Perhaps next time!

Finally a big thank you to Keith, John, Sue and the team for staging such a superb event again - looking forward to October! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

NOTE FOR MARK WILLIAMS,

Hi Mark,

Please don't forget to look up that dealer's details for me! My personal e-mail address is:
david(at)earlytechnology(dot)co(dot)uk
Thanks,
Dave.

Best to all,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to all involved for another great day out in Ealing
Fantastic bargains with Derann and another private seller ( sorry don't know your name) throwing in plenty of free films with my purchases, as well as a Eumig S938 STEREO from Ian of Perry's Movies for only £50, many thanks.
Bought a copy of Kieth's 3D Show , good effect on my VP, a very repeatable disc. As well as a few of Classic Home Cinema's impressive new releases, very good clear sound and sharp picture on these. Phil tells me that new sound heads have been fitted to the recording equipment.
Plenty to keep me occupied until the next convention!

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 10:05 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Perry's there? I didn't see 'em.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 11:44 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Stuart, as you came in, over to the left, opposite where the refreshments were sold.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perry's were opposite the canteen area.

Tiv's 3D photos are now on the top of page 2 of the 57th BFCC pages from 'past events'.

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was great to actually meet some of you guys -- sorry I missed any others who might have been there.

I'm back in the US having lugged several reels around on an airplane (fun!). Special thanks to Ian O'Reilly for taking one of the prints I bought and shipping it back for me.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC