8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex SM8 thoughts etc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex SM8 thoughts etc
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 25, 2009 05:04 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I just wondered how people found these machines, good to use ??? kind to film, sound etc etc.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2009 11:30 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,I've had 2 of them and I don't really like them. Not good threading,belts either slip or break and they don't have really good sound.Wouldn't get it if I were you.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the ones that people say are relatively loud running? I have had a couple of different Bolex projectors, and while they are all gorgeous looking machines, I have found they each have pretty big drawbacks... I have a G3 that is beautiful to look at, and comes in a case that looks like it was designed for a rare piece of art, but as son as I ran a few films on it I tucked it away never to run one again...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2009 04:34 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolex-Paillard never had great luck with their projectors.

Bogopolsky already had the Berne company Stoppani build “his” first models, when in Geneva.

Then the G, gee!, what a faulty design. Claw wrongly spaced from the aperture, film gate a nightmare to inspect and clean.

After WW II they had to go license, so from 211/221 on fancy apparel but falling behind the upcoming German competition (Siemens & Halske “2000”, Bosch-Bauer P 5).

The M 8 is something more valuable, although without reverse action. The 18-5 is funny but unfortunately not running faster.

Everything later was Italian (SM 8 from Silma, Torino) or Austrian (SM 80 and the like from Eumig, Wien). The SM 8 has an absolute crap drive unit that squeezes the belt (actually only a O-ring).

One has to differentiate well because the Paillard-Bolex projectors do have many interesting details and advantages. Question is whether they weigh up against the odds.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 27, 2009 10:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did own a SM8 for about 4yrs, my first Super8 projector back in the mid 70s and really liked it, ran my first Ken films "Star Wars" release when the digest was first released, that was really something. also used the projector along with the Rexette film striper for all our home movies, it worked well. Although it was all long ago the SM8 I remember had stated made in "Austria" on the back and also could take the Bolex 800ft reel. I did here long after I sold it that it did give trouble with speed/belt side of things but was fixed successfully in the end. If I ever had the chance to buy that projector back I would without hesitation [Smile] .

Check out the latest screening room pictures on Daniel's SM8 projector "very nice"

Graham.

Daniel Beijar
Junior

- posted May 28, 2009 04:17 AM      Profile for Daniel Beijar   Email Daniel Beijar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that compliment. I haven´t had my projector for long, got it this spring. I think it is a very nice looking. It works good, thick strong drive belts. However it came with an extra loud speaker, but there is some problem with it so it does not work properly. I have tried to hook up an other speaker, but the speakers, both the extra speakers and the speaker in the projector have got three connection cords (?). I have not seen that before and all the speakers I have all have two connections. So I haven´t manage to connect a external speaker for better sound to work properly with the projector. Someone here on the forum who has owned a SM8, how did you do when connecting an extra loudspeaker or amplifier to the SM8?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 28, 2009 05:12 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound OK fancied one for years.

Best Mark.

[ June 08, 2009, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 28, 2009 08:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel
Did your projector come with this external Bolex auxiliary loudspeaker, its built into a case especially designed for carrying the projector.

At the back of the projector where you plug in the speaker what type of socket is it? most normal speaker connections just have the usual single round and flat pin type, but cant remember if the Bolex was a bit different. The specs for the output channel are 6 Watt/5-15ohms for the loudspeaker and for an external amplifier 500mV/220 Ohms.

Just wondering if the same output socket does both [Roll Eyes] external amp and speaker hence a socket with more than two pins on the out? just guessing!

-
the projector and its carrying case with a 6-8 Watt/5 ohm loudspeaker

Hope this is some help

Graham.

Daniel Beijar
Junior

- posted May 29, 2009 07:24 AM      Profile for Daniel Beijar   Email Daniel Beijar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has a connection with 4 connections. I have manage to build an adapter according to the wire diagram. The loud speaker I have connected to it only works when the projectors built i speaker is turn on. As you can see from the picture uploaded by Graham there is a switch for turning on and off the projectors speaker above the connection socket.
The loud speaker is the same as on the picture, but it does not work at all. I have connected it to an other amplifier with the same results. Or in fact it does work all little bit. If one pulls the center out of the speaker when it is connected it starts comming sound out of it. But when you release it, it goes back to the middle. Seems like it is having trouble moving when connected. Hard to explain.
What I would want to do is to connect an other speaker (not the Bolex speaker, but a speaker from a my stereo instead) and have sound comming out of only through the connected speaker and not also the internal projector speaker as it is now.

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an SM8 that I used to check prints with (it's the only projector my wife allows in the dining room!), until the power lead mysteriously vanished about four months ago. It's an absolute joy to use, is whisper quiet and runs like a well oiled sewing machine. Even though the lens is a waste of time the machine is very kind on film and I've never had any problems with it. The sound is a little bit ropey, but usually acceptable for mono prints.

Mine is a 1969 model that comes in a grey wooden carry case, with in-built speaker and a few hidden compartments for reel, microphone, patching connectors for audio and manual. Won it on Ebay about three years ago and well worth the £40 I paid for it. If anyone has a spare power lead lying around that they'd like to sell then please let me know, it was so much quieter than my Bell and Howell's and didn't cause domestic strife!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC