8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help identify this film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help identify this film
Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

some time ago I got an unmarked reel with animation on (super 8). It looks a little homemade. It has no opening credits, it´s missing the start I believe. Can anyone identify this film?

I´ve uploaded all on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOQpxSoKIQ (I forgot to turn of the camera, so it has about 1 minute of black at the end)

--------------------
My site: iSuper8

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title lists "Sheila Graber" as producer.

Here's a website and there's e-mail addresses including the original animator you can send the link to for ID (see "about us"). They may ask you to take the video down.

http://www.graber-miller.com/

There is a link to a number of her cartoons on You Tube, you may even find them yourself.

The audio sounds like my Bolex at 24 FPS.

(Sounds like one of your reels is warped too!)

Do you know how to clean your gate? Yours looks a little fuzzy around the edges....

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2009 05:31 PM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I´ll check it out tomorrow, and see if I can find out [Smile]

That´s my Bolex! The film came on an old 400´, I transfered it over to a 200´after filming it. Hope that´ll do.

About the gate: funny thing you should mention it, cause I was going to search around a little about how to clean the gate and film path. When I look inside the machine, it looks very tight, and a little "impossible" to clean. Yesterday I had to remove a little piece of film/plastic that was stuck... time to clean it! Any tips would be appreciated!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not bad at all really....

There's an inching knob at the back of the machine (near the "small metal thingy" we talked about before...). This allows manual rotation of the main shaft (you can see it spin when the machine is running). With the machine un-powered, twist the knob until the white dot on the knob is next to the white dot on the machine body. You have now retracted the film advance claw so it will not be damaged when removing the gate.

Take the side cover off the machine to access the gate. It is in two halves (front, back). Press the front half (lens side) away from the back half and pull it out sideways.

The back half is held in place by two pins in the machine chassis and by spring pressure from the front half. Since the front half is gone you can just move the back half forward until the pins are released and slide it out same as the front.

I like to clean my gate with a fine paint brush and that finish up with a coat of film lubricant on a lint free cotton cloth. Some people use furniture polish as a lubricant and are just as happy. It’s important to get the little hairs and flecks of dust and emulsion from the edges of the gate. They can be extremely tiny, but magnified several hundred times on screen they look awful!

Everything goes back together the same way it came out.

You’ll like the difference this makes!

--------------------

Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 07:28 AM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!

Can I use FilmGuard to clean? I think I read that in an earlier post somewhere. Need to get me one of those bottles!

BTW: the film has been identified as half of "When I went to the Bar" and the complete "I am the very Model of a Model Major General", both by Sheila Graber [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 02, 2009 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should move this back onto "600 Foot reel won't fit.." and keep the film and the projector thread seperate.

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 08:12 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a long cotton bud cleaning stick dipped in film cleaner to clean the gate and film path. On my elmos it is an easy job, it's a little bit fiddly on my Fujica Scope SD Auto. I also use a can of compressed air to blast all the fluff out between reel changes. The sticks and compressed air cans are easy to get at all good electronics stores.

Paul.

Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 03:28 PM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul!

--------------------

Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2009 01:50 PM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I finally got around to clean the gate, and it now looks much much better than before!

Thanks for all the help [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC