8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » recommend 8mm sound projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recommend 8mm sound projector?
Rob Meckelborg
Junior

- posted June 11, 2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Rob Meckelborg   Email Rob Meckelborg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to the film world (and this forum) and would like to buy an inexpensive 8mm sound projector. Can anyone recommend some good reliable and cheap to run units?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 10:46 AM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to "steal" your thread [Wink] , but since I'm thinking about buying a regular 8 projector, silent, I guess I can ask here. Any suggestions anyone?

update: not looking anymore [Smile]

[ June 14, 2009, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Jon Anders Klausen ]

--------------------
My site: iSuper8

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say any number of the Eumig duals (800 series) that have the 100-150 watt lamps, since you will get a nice bright image and they are not like most duals, since the sprocket wheels and the gates switch out. BUT make sure the claw is intact because they have a tendancy to get broken by people not knowing what they are doing and in that case the projector will be death to your films. There is also a thread on here about best looking projectors that has alot of mini reviews from people of not simply their favorite looking but how they perform.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 12, 2009 12:34 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll back Dino's suggestion on Eumig.

Rob (welcome to the forum), you can't go wrong with a good old S810D model. I've had one for years as a back-up machine.

I now keep a 807 permanently set up for regular 8 (silent and sound). Great reliable projector.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rob Meckelborg
Junior

- posted June 14, 2009 09:10 PM      Profile for Rob Meckelborg   Email Rob Meckelborg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. Is anyone familiar with the CHINON SOUND 7000?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 14, 2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

Welcome to the forum! The Chinon Sound 7000 specs can be found here.

However, it is only for Super 8mm. Are you looking for Super 8mm, Standard 8mm or both?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Rob Meckelborg
Junior

- posted June 14, 2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Rob Meckelborg   Email Rob Meckelborg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like both, but super 8 for sure. It seems that more movies are readily available for super 8, is this correct?

Thanks

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 12:59 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,The eumigs are great. Jon,the Keystone k109 is a fantastic machine.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Rob Meckelborg
Junior

- posted June 15, 2009 01:45 AM      Profile for Rob Meckelborg   Email Rob Meckelborg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems unanimous - Eumig it is. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful with the Eumigs -- the rubber disks get worn and you get speed shift (at least on the 810D that I have), severely affecting the sound. Can't just replace the belt like on an Elmo. I've been unable to fix mine and use it just for silent films.

Eumigs don't scratch films, whereas Elmo's love to put a solid line right down the middle occasionally, even if you keep the gate clean.

There is no perfect projector.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony are you sure the scratch is from the gate and not the little piece on the back for the auto thread? I did a test on mine and the film was rubbing right against that little piece and it was just rough enough it was scratching

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turned out it was the green film guide before the final sprocket.
Believe it or not, some scotch tape placed over the rough part has pretty much solved the issue. I figured this out, with the help of this forum, after 10 years and lots of scratched film!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC