8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » weak lightbulb/lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: weak lightbulb/lamp
Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I have a question about lightbulbs. I just bought a Copal CP55 projector. It has a 50W, 8V lamp. When I run the projector it barely gives of light. It looks like it's not getting enough power, but it (the projector) is set to the correct amount (230V in Norway).

Is it possible for a bulb to weaken, but still work?
Can I boost the power to the bulb somehow?

Or should I just buy a new bulb?

--------------------
My site: iSuper8

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
the filament in light bulbs get so hot that tungsten particles come off and condense again on the glass. So on the one hand the reflector in the 8 V, 50 W lamp goes a little bit "blind" and on the other hand the glass gets foggy on the inside and less and less light can leave the lamp.
BTW: halogen lamps (which the 8 V, 50 W lamp is not, as far as I know) contain halogenic gas that is able to reverse the action and bring the tungsten that got stuck on the glass back to the filament.
I hope that has answered your question.

--------------------
Alex

Jon Anders Klausen
Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Jon Anders Klausen   Email Jon Anders Klausen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alexander,
Thanks for your reply!

edit: Problem solved. It was just my small knowledge that was the problem [Embarrassed]

I ran the projector WITH film, and the bulb works like it is supposed to. Bright as the sun [Smile]

--------------------
My site: iSuper8

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC