8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig P8 Imperial Projector help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 Imperial Projector help?
Simon John James
Junior

- posted August 05, 2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Simon John James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently acquired stated projector, upon attempting to get it running again i discovered that the previous owner has had a tinker around with the wiring. Several were loose upon opening it up. I have made several educated guesses. I have had motion from it but no light, i have also replaced bulb to ensure it had not blown.

So i am in need of another owner to be so kind as to possible give me a guide on what should be connected to what, and if possible an image!?

Cheers Simon

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As these machines are all switch on only with lamp,then something isnt right,and if the previous owner has had a fiddle ith the wiring then clearly something has been disturbed within the machine.As the motor runs then all is well there.If its a new bulb then the problem lies in that circuit.Either a wire is detatched from the transformer,or from the rewind circuit.These projectors have power rewind witch extinguishes the lamp on rewind,this is actioned via the gate lever being fully opened.Trace the lamp wire colours from the lamp to the transformer for any breaks,and then back to the gate lever.This is NOT going to be easy as its tightly packed in there,but hopefully,this will give you somewhere to start.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 09:02 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon
Here is an image of a P8 Imperial with the back off.
Don't know if it helps or not with your wiring issue.
Be more specific if you want another pic.
dogtor pufferfish

- [Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Simon John James
Junior

- posted August 17, 2009 05:30 AM      Profile for Simon John James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for the replies, image is extremely useful, currently in the process of stripping down to see what actually is going on inside. There is one more issue... Behind the power socket there is some strange connections i feel arn't quite right, if you could describe what wires are connected to what, or an image (if possible). its held on via the two bolts either side of the socket. The 2 green wires, one connected to the motor housing, but where does the other one connect to?

Many thanks for the help people, Can't wait to get this old beauty up and running!

Simon.....

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 06:15 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those wires on the power socket are quite normaland fitted to all models.Your power lead will probably have corresponding contacts on it to complete the circuit.
WARNING:
If you are tinkering about with the mains plugged in for any reason,note that the motor pulley from which the belt tranfers the drive to the intermittent part is LIVE AND QUITE NORMAL ON THIS PROJECTOR.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Simon John James
Junior

- posted August 24, 2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Simon John James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it up and running!! Thanks for all the help on here guys. I completely stripped down projector, checked all connections, and it became evident that the sliding gate operates a slide switch inside behind transformer, this was loose and not making the correct contacts. So after sticking back down to correct position it now runs perfectly. Again Thanks.

Simon.....

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2009 09:07 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry

I wasn't aware of this scary phenomenon.
Are you sure that the motor drive pulley is live?
Where can this be confirmed?

You would think they would short out through to earth....
I have fitted many drive belts but haven't been zapped yet.

There are a few P8 machines here that I will test later, and see if they are alive on the motor shaft.
Hope they aren't.
dogtor pufferfish
[Eek!]

[ August 26, 2009, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC