8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS-1200 Xenon voltage question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS-1200 Xenon voltage question
Stephen Kent Jusick
Junior

- posted September 09, 2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Kent Jusick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I just acquired a GS-1200 Xenon machine from someone in Australia. The back of the machine says 240v. My non-Xenon GS-1200s say 115v or have multiple voltages. I'm afraid to plug it in here in the USA. What's the right approach? I've never had a Xenon GS-1200 before and I'd hate to fry it right off the bat! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SKJ

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 10, 2009 12:22 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically 240v machine in US 110 V current will not harm anything. Because the machine has a bigger voltage. The impact is only a weak running machine.

However, in the opposite situation is dangerous (i.e 110 v machine in Australia 220v current because the machine will be burnt in a second).

Usually, a projector from Australia is switchable to 110/115v. Check the back side of the projector.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 10, 2009 09:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
DON'T plug it in! Let's wait and see what Kevin has to say about this. I would think that running a 220v machine at 115v is going to damage something. You may need to buy an external voltage converter.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree, Paul. For safety, Stephen, hold your fire and wait for someone who knows these machines intimately to advise.
As to an external voltage converter, there should be no problem in converting voltage (so long as an adequately rated transformer is available; it may be heavier that the projector!) but frequency may need to be taken into account.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 10, 2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
On the GS1200 Xenon there are two power supplies running in the machine one for the Xenon Lamp and the other for the std functions etc. These are not auto sensing etc so none of the supplies will run at the correct voltage and in fact I would be surprised if the Xenon lamp supply would run at all as I wouldnt think it's oscilator circuit would start.

One thing I would do is to undo the rear cover and just check next to the mains transformer that there isnt a voltage selector switch. My Xenon has one which isnt visible from the outside world but it will only allow adjustment between 220, 230 or 240V. Elmo made many variations interms of operating voltages and although I have seen machines with just the one voltage stamped on the voltage/serial numner plate when you look inside you find that they have incorporated the multi voltage switch etc.

If you dont find any voltage selector switch then my advice is to get an up converter from 110V to 240V. Make sure you get one to run at the correct current as these machine do draw a high current. Look at the voltage plate where it will say 240V ?A and tell the people you buy it from that it must be able to supply an output of 240V at whatever. Sorry at work at the moment so I dont have my machine to hand to check.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC