8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Calling Mr. Elmo for new type of Jitter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling Mr. Elmo for new type of Jitter
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 12:18 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK this one has me puzzled...I just got 2 shorts from Buckingham and went to play them and they both did this weird side to side jitter in my ST-1200HD. I have not seen this happen before and before I try out any of my films that I know run fine I want to see if this is something that might call for a fix. I did a quick run through on the rewinds and didn't see anything with the shorts that looked out of the ordinary. any ideas?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 12:49 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try lubing the prints. I transfer films and have this problem on rare occasions. A slight coat of Filmguard always makes them run well.

--------------------
John Hermes

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 02:12 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ST-1200HD does that on films without a balance stripe on them. It's finicky that way.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 04:05 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something of this sort happened on one of my GS 1200: I had just finished splicing and cleaning the film with a sort of much refined gasoline (it just removes greasy pencil marks and dust, specs ect - does not lube): when I projected it, it showed a very little sign of horizontal jitter, so little it didn't even seem jitter, but a slight lack of focus. I haven't lubed it yet because I have to stripe it, but I hope that after that it well go through perfectly, like it did before cleaning.

--------------------
Maurizio

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 20, 2009 05:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Side to side jitter can be caused by dry or green film. Normally a lube of the film with something such as FilmGuard will sort the problem once and for all.

Give that a try first. If the ST is ok with other films I would blame the film and not the machine. The reason this can happen as well is if the film slitting is slightly under or over width. The claw can then rub on the edge of the sprocket hole as it enters. Using lube on the film lets the claw glide smoothly in and out of the sprocket hole.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2009 01:35 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK [Razz] green film + green user = embarassed dino

I film guarded the prints and had a gorgeous viewing of the 2 new shorts. Its funny that over the years I have never seen this before, but had green prints which usually seemed sticky/staticky coming off the reel which would alert me to lube em first.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC