8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S 802

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S 802
Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted October 02, 2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at maybe buying a Eumig Mark S 802 projector off Ebay. Was wondering if this is a decent machine? Can anyone tell me anything about these models.

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 03:29 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bobby

The 800 series of Eumigs are excellent machines.

If you decide to get one then its best buy one that is young as possible, as they probably had less use and wear.
Also less chance of deterioration of the vital plastic & rubber components they all have, such as Motor pivot mounts & rubber drive plates.

Besides the Mk S802 there is the Mk S807 & the Mk S 810 & a few other variants.

I think some s802 models only have a 75w lamp.
So try to avoid those versions.
The plastic motor pivots on these need to be checked for condition. Some are on the point of crumbling due to age.
So the rule when buying these is " the newer the better".
Why buy an 802 when there are 810 models available which are better.

However these are all Super 8 projectors only & if you expect them to play Reg 8mm as well, you will be dissapointed as they wont do it.

If they have the letter "D" after the model then they are a dual version of the Super 8 projector.

Why not get the best you can from the range....
Get one that can do Reg 8mm films as well.

I suggest an Eumig Mk S 810D. They were late in production & are more reliable. The sound is also better on the later versions as the amp was upgraded to "Hi Quality Sound". They are great.

They come up for sale often & would be an excellent choice for you to get.

Let us all know what you decide.
Other forum members here will no doubt offer additional advice.

dogtor pufferfish
[Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Frank that these are good machines. I have an S802D, which shows reg 8 and super.

However, a word of caution: I would not buy one of these machines unless the seller has tested it with film. That's because everything may appear to work fine, but it may not project the film properly.

Here's the potential problem: when removing and replacing the film gate for cleaning (or changing film types), you can break off the tip of the claw that advances each frame of film unless you first retract it. I've had two Eumigs where everything appeared to work fine, but the film does not project properly.

So if the seller hasn't tested the projector with film, ask if you can return the projector if it doesn't work.

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two S807s and I find it to be a hard ride for film. By that The Eumig models are all of high caliber design and workmanship, but they do tend to be very unforgiving of splices and "green" or dry film. The sound heads are known to give out sooner than other manufacturers units. Again, this is only my experience with the 807s. Perhaps the 810s are improved. I'll piggy-back on the advice given earlier. Make certain the unit has been fully tested with film running through it (both guages) and not just "unit powers on and lamp is working" in the seller's description. Powering on and a lamp that simply hasn't expired yet isn't a test of it's functionality, but rather a taste test.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 10:15 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When changing the gates,there is a knob on the back of the machine with a red dot on it.Turn till the dot is on the top,that pulls back the claw so you can make the change safely

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2009 07:24 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree fully with Allan on the issue of the claw fingers & should have mentioned it.

These fingers are 2 very thin steel pins in the claw.
They are easily broken off if the user tries to remove the gate without ensuring the claw is retracted fully. They snap off.
John has described the proper way to safely remove the gate.

Sometimes, only 1 of the 2 claw pins has been snapped off & the projector may even seem Ok on initial test with film.
However it will easily loose a top loop and probably damage your film in the process. It may not project as well at faster speed or in reverse. Perhaps it won't do both guages any more.

So really, this is one of the most important things to check before buying.
Get the seller to have a look at the claw and tell you if the 2 pins are in place.
Better still, get him to send you a close up pic of the claw fingers, so you can see them for yourself.

Its always useful & interesting to get many points of view on a Projector issue & the members have raised a very important point here.
Buyers of all Eumig dual 8mm, Always Get the Claw fingers checked out, Before Buying.

dogtor Pufferfish [Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted October 07, 2009 06:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the great advice. I am glad I joined the site.This is a really helpful and friendly forum, especially for some who is a newbe to film and projectors.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 07, 2009 06:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, do you realise that you live in the city which was the home of the famous Blackhawk Films, who owned and printed the very best 8mm, super 8mm, and 16mm vintage films ever sold in the USA?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted October 14, 2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
Yes, I was given a little bit of the history recently, right after I acquired my first projector ( Kodascope 8-33). I happen to find Alex Bartosh from New York when I found his website, A-1 video online store. I wish I would have known about it growing up. I did hold off on getting Eumig projector, I think I will look around for one of the dual models. Thanks again for all the great advice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC