8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » [HELP] Sankyo 500 cannot show proper picture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [HELP] Sankyo 500 cannot show proper picture
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I really need your help.

I just acquire a Sankyo 500. I purchased this from a flea market and when I tested it (without film) everything looked OK.

But when I arrived at home and put a reel on hit. The first impression did sound odd and I felt something wrong. I didn't hear the usual projector sound when getting the film, i.e the clicking sound ("..tik,...tik,...tik,..etc).

It was too smooth for a projector.

And when I turned the bulb on, the screen didn't show a proper picture but showing frame to frame without steady picture.

I opened the back cover and everything showed OK. The (blade) shutter was OK and working.

So what is the problem?

need your help please,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 05:14 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert-

Is the film gate open, by chance?

Sometimes after cleaning the film gate, if I forget to close it, it does exactly as you have described (on the Sankyo ST800).

Try that first.

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 09:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is the film gate open
James,

That was exactly what I checked for the first time when I got that imperfect picture.

I found that the gate was totally close and in fact I tried to push it with my fingers just in case there was a slight loose between the gate and the film. But there was no change.

So guys, please help me because this will be my main projector after moving to Canada.

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like "Film Flow" due to the claw not working properley. Without film loaded can you see if the claw is protruding out from the gate. Its easier to do this with the back removed and then turning the motor by hand.
The claw should protrude by about 1mm. If this is not happening I would suspect that the claw is possibly damaged.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 01:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Kev,

I didn't see any claws moving when the motor is turned slowly.

Usually claws are grabbing the film sprockets, aren't they?

How can I open the claws compartment?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 02:51 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sankyo 500 has one claw (pin), only.
But it is very rigid, it shouldn´t break off.
Therefore I guess claw mechanism isn´t correctly adjusted.

You shoud recognise claw movement in slot above aperture at film gate.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 03:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josef,

thanks for giving more expalantion.

Indeed, I used to work with Elmo ST-1200 and the claws are clearly seen when grabbing the sprockets.

I don't know that Sankyo has one claw only. So do you think it is possible that the claw is a bit moving down so it cannot reach the sprocket.

If so, how can I adjust it to give the claw a bit move up?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 30, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I do really need your help.

I have been trying to solve this problem but I still couldn't fix it.

I even opened all the important parts to see what was the problem.

Indeed after looking closely to the machine, the claw (pin) that Kev and Josef has mentioned above, did not touch the film sprockets, so that's why it has to be fixed. I believe there is a bolt to adjust this (to move forward or backward the pin). But there is also a possibility that the pin it self has broken off so it is now shorten.

So below are some photos so you can judge from them what should I do.

This is a picture of claw (pin)

-

For those who are not familiar with Sankyo 500, below is to compare the claw with my fingers.

-

Now, we take a look at closer to the pin (Josef is right, there is only one pin)

[Bold]Front look[/Bold]

-

[Bold]Side look[/Bold]

-

Now my question, did you see any possibility that the pin has broken (shorten)?

This is (red circle) is where the claw is tighten by a bolt. I believe this bolt is adjustable to go forward or backward the pin. But I am not sure how to do that

-

There is a possibility that the previous owner has changed the bolt position and put it in a wrong position so it is no longer adjustable. So can someone post a picture how is the bolt position supposed to be?. I think, any Sankyo series from 500 to 800 will be the same.

So can I ask some help here (any Mr. Sankyo in this forum?)

thanks,

[ October 30, 2009, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, if I am recalling properly, the part you have highlighted is to be used when you want to adjust the claw tooth as regards how inner or outer respect to the sprokect sides you want it to engage the holes; if it grabs the sprockets too inse or too outside, frame registration won't take place. Also you can slightly loosen the allen bolts which keep the shutter/cam assembly in place on the main shaft and cause it to move a little forward: this will cause the claw to protrude a little further out but don't do that too much (this is usually done when the pin the claw assembly rests on against the shtter cam, is a little worn-out).

All the previous are effective is the claw tooth is not damaged, shortened or whatever, which I can't easily tell by the photos you provided.

Anyway should you need a new claw, I can sell you a new (unused) one; email me at maurizio (underscore) dicintio at fastwebnet (dot) it.

Good luck!

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC