8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 and Optical Sound?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 and Optical Sound?
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 02:30 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of interest - which is better on Super8, magnetic or optical sound?

I'm guessing magnetic? Optical sound prints are rare in Super 8, right?

Is there any specific reason for collecting prints with optical sound?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 10:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh Micheal ...

You have brought up one of my favorite Super 8 subjects. I never tire of the subject.

I would have to say that magnetic sound is definitely better; mostly because you can make a pretty decent stereo soundtrack with magnetic sound. Many Super 8 opticals do have a very good mono soundtrack, but they can vary widely.

One of the mystifying aspects about optical super 8 is that the soundtrack was not printed at the same time. John Whittle could give a very detailed explanation as to how they did it, (or could someone make a link to that particular post on this thread?). So you could have a very good color print of an optical feature, but you might have a faded optical soundtrack on the same piece of film and while you'll still have sound, it will be much lower than it was when first manufactured.

Though you rarely tend to see a lot of optical features offered today, (one or two here and there on ebay and sadly, usually the same ones opver and over), they were once at least seen often enough on sellers lists. back in the late 1980's when I first collected, I remember Dave Thomas Films having a whole list of about 30 different titles, and he had multiple copies of each one.

If your real lucky, you can even find them still unused on a core. About two years ago I ran into three cored features, never played, which gave me hope that the color would be perfect and they were ... magnificent! They were ...

Force 10 from navarone
Something Short of Paradise
(A boxing Kangaroo film, forget the title)

The funny thing is they were never meant to get into collectors hands, though, ironically, Super 8 projectors were being made with optical sound playback, so people in the industry must have gotten wind of the features out there.

These films would be slightly edited for content, as they were airline features and you'd never know if a child would be watching, but if there weas no objectionable material, there would be little or no editing.

The two great things about the opticals were, of course ...

The variety ...

I am still amazed as to what I find as features on Super 8 optical sound, from "Point Blank" (1967, the beginning year, I believe, of the optical sound feature for the airlines), to "The Hunt For Red October", (1990) which was issued after american and British airlines stopped using Super 8 optical, but Asia and other countries were still making optical prints.

That and the incredible sharpness of the optical feature. Rarely would you have a marginal fdocus on these, (as on Tender Mercies, 1983), most of the time, the focus rivals anything put out by Derann or CHC. I'm still baffled as to how they could get a better than 16MM sharpness to a print like "Broadway Danny Rose" (Woody Allen) on such a small guage. Even if only to test and see how sharp Super 8 could be, find one of those prints when you can, and you will truly be shocked at how sharp it is.
It's the print I use to baffle the viewer!

The only true downside that I have seen, is that, since these prints were only printred for a short viewing run, I'm sure that they just used whatever was available as print stock. No doubt, the cheapest available ...

... so, many a prints were manufactured on the dreadful fadsing eastman stock. Gorky Park, a 1983 optical release, already looks all pinked out, even though it has been well stored! (drat!)

Fortunately for the later releases, they were put on either Kodak SP or L.P.P. ansd so these prints that survived the chopping block, (in reality!), still look pristine. I treasure my prints of "Rocky 3" and "Pale Rider".

I could go on and on about the opticals but I'd best go to work, trying to find work!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 10:27 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,how could you forget Matilda?

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 07:30 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, they look better than the same title with magnetic sound??

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 08:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOST Definitely!

The only equal could be if Derann put out the same feature, but I can't think of any cases of that.

An example off the top of my head is "Dillinger" (1974, Warren Oates, Ben Johnson).
I remember having the 400ft release, magnetic sound digest, and the image quality was that standard Ken Films digest, very grainy and not the best focus in the world.

The optical feature, very sharp!

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 11:54 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of points on optical sound on color stocks.

1. All prints 35/16/Super8 are printed from a black and white sound track negative. I believe that all the Super8 prints were reduction printed from a specially recorded 16mm optical sound track negative.

2. All color positive prints were made with a #12 (yellow) filter to restrict exposure of the track to the top two layers of the print stock to maximize the sharpness of the track and thus the high frequency response.

3. For 35mm and 16mm prints, this track was applicated in processing with a developer such that the finished print had a dye plus silver image. A lack of silver (such as Technicolor blue or Cinecolor) does not block infrared which is what phototube and solar cells are most sensitive to. Thus a dye track print has much lower output. There are special sensors that have better response in the visible spectrum and I would think that that type would have been used in Super8 projectors.

When the film starts to fade, in a dye track print, the track starts to fade. Since the major component of the track is the cyan + magneta dyes, any picture fading results in the track fading and thus a slowly disappear sound track.

Now as I recall, the Agfa stock was very popular in the late 1970s because the cyan dye had been blocking in the infrared and thus produced better sound output on Super8 without application, the dye has also proved to be more stable.

As for frequency response, this is a simple mathmatical calculation. The highest frequency will be determined by the slit width and the film speed and film resolution. Thus if you can get 6,000 hz on a 16mm print at 36 fpm, at about half that for 8mm (and 11% more for Super8) you'd get 3,000 hz.

John

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John ...

The incredible wealth of information that is Mr. Whittle is always a welcome assett. Everytime you add to this conversation about optical sound Super 8, I'm learning just a little more.

Considering just how many variables there are to producing an optical soundtrack, (which at least appears to be much more complicated than your standard magnetic soundtrack which, quite frankly, anyone with a recordable sound Super 8 projector is capable of), it makes it just that much more remarkable that many of these optical sound Super 8's sound so good, as that optical soundtrack is so small.

Many thanx John! Great to hear from ya!

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 12:42 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget this data for 35mm film is no longer current, and since published a very large percentage of 35mm soundtracks have switched to cyan or high magenta, which itself is pretty rare. The new soundtracks are readable by merely changing the exciter lamp to a red LED or laser. It was proven unfeasible to modify 16mm projectors, so presumably silver tracks are still printed on new 16mm films.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help fellas.

Just to clarify - these prints were only produced for airline use, right?
Was there a specific reason why mag prints could not be used as airline prints?

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know more about the projectors and reels used on airlines, are there any pictures and brand names out there? Were they xenon or halogen? Whas there an on-flight projectionist, or was it part of the stewardess-training to lace an 8mm film? [Wink] Is it still possible to find such a projector?

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 04:13 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In SmallFormat issue 1/2006 there's a 10 page article called "Inflight flicks - film projectors in the sky".
If you want to know everything about filmprojection in airplanes, you should read this article.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ...

I've wondered about that, (why they didn't use mag track super 8), as the fidelity of sound would have been superior.

The only answer that I can come up with, is that mag track takes up more room.

For instance, in my collection, I can only go up as high as 600ft reels. A reel of mag soundtrack super 8 contains, at best 31 minutes of footage. Because the soundtrack is "photocopied" directly onto the film, I can fit up to 35 minutes per reel, perhaps more.

To answer one of the other questions, these films were placed in one large size cartridge. Since there were not multiple cartridges, the films would happen to run only 110.00 minutes and no more. Films running longer than that would be edited, perhaps heavily. (note: I had heard that Ben Hur and Dr. Zhivago was released as an optical feature, but in that case, it was placed in two cartridges.)

There was an effort to make standard 8mm optical films. I know of at least one projector that was manufactured, (I believe, in japan), and at least on standard 8mm feature, "Futureworld" and perhaps more. It shows how late in the standard 8mm game that they were thinking of more uses for it. I would suppose that the soundtrack was on the outer edge of the sprocket.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Osi.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2009 03:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann issued a couple of optical titles which we showed at a BFCC a few years back.

The airlines used optical sound as it is far easier to print a Super 8 film with the soundtrack included rather than print a film, then add a stripe and then record a soundtrack. Imagine the expense of doing that when it can all be done at one time. Looking at it like that it's a shame optical Super 8 in the home never took off... but some of those Super 8 optical tracks are dreadful! I suppose the same can be said of magnetic soundtracks too but in general magnetic sound is far superior.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2009 08:50 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting thread, pals. Optical futures here in Italy are absolutely a rarity, so I do like to learn new details about them, used stock, sound quality ecc.

Osi, it seems you have a very good knowledge of available optical prints. Would you be so kind to write donw a sort of list for all of us, adding info about quality (color, sound, editing ecc.) too? It would be very helpful: I actually look for these prints.

Oh... Does anybody have a copy of FOOTLOOSE for sale?
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2009 10:58 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Ullstein (Germany, http://www.ullstein.de) once had an "AV"-branch that produced Super8-films with optical soundtracks. Those films could be rented at Ullstein and Quelle. Hence they avoided magnetical soundtracks that could be accidentally erased.
Most/All of the films have also been sold by Quelle (once "the" mail-order-company in Germany, now filed insolvency).

Jörg

P.S.: Some of those "Ullstein AV"-films are fairy tales (based on stories by the Grimm-brothers, ...). It looks like they were not only printed, by also shot/edited/... by "Ullstein AV"-films. And AFAIK those films were only distributed on super8... . However other "Ullstein AV"-films have been "ordinary" prints (with optical soundtrack) of movies (e.g. "Geliebter Schuft" with Jean-Paul Belmondo) or of TV-series (e.g. "Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone" = "the avengers")

P.P.S.: Quelle also sold some more films with optical soundtrack...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian ...

Somewhere on this Forum, months ago, I put a list up of about 150 or so known titles that are optical sound Super 8 features.

Doug, could you make a link to this earlier post? Also, there were two lists I put up, one was the fifty or so titles that I personally own, the other one was the long list of known titles, (at least, those known to me.).

I must say, most of what I have learned about optical sound super 8, the technical side, is from this very forum and the knowledgable folks therein!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 27, 2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Super 8 Optical sound prints were not only airline prints?
They were also produced for the rental market?
Is this correct?

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Osi.
Thanks a lot. I will look for the list later.
CIAO!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were other opticals sound films, as Disney released a number of they're 200ft short subjects with optical sound, and there were a number of educational films released, of which I have three. They tend to run a good twenty or so minutes.

The ones I own are hunting educational films.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC